What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
towbar wiring - mike holland
I recently bought a tow bar, for my Citroen Xantia td estate. Where can I get advise on wiring the socket please. For example does the wiring loom for all the rear lights go to one corner and then over to the other side? This would enable me to wire from just one side. Thanks Mike Holland
Towbar wiring - David Lacey
Usually, you just do the majority of the wiring on one side of the car and then run another wire across to the other lamp to pick up the other indicator feed wire. Some cars will have all the wiring on one side. I'm not too sure about the Xantia, though. Perhaps DW will enlighten us?

David
Re: towbar wiring - Keith
I have no knowledge of the Xantia but, on all the cars I've wired I have wired everything on the nearside of the car. This includes a BX and a AX. In my (limited) experience, the loom goes to the nearside and then across to the offside as you suggest.

Info re socket wiring is available at www.rccc.co.uk/towbar_electrics.htm
I'm surprised you didn't get instructions or was it second-hand?

Keith
Re: towbar wiring - andy bairsto
If you had got the proper kit then it is only a matter of ofundoing the light connector and plugging the t connector in.These are available for just about every vehicle on the market and you end up witha safe and professional job
Re: towbar wiring - Ian Cook
Mike

Most garages wire the loom to one side in the boot, and pair them up - BUT:

The Xantia sidelights are fused in diagonal pairs (ns front to os rear) so if you put the trailer lights to one Xantia rear lamp wiring you will overload the fuse for that side (5 amp fuse for each side).

They did this to mine and, temporarily, I've repaced the fuse with a 10 amp (no overheated wiring) but I'll probably split the connection next spring.

Ian