What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Servicing - Marc
Took my Merc 190E to Halfords/AA today for a "Premier" (12k annual) service and was very pleased with both the price and service (especially the very comprehensive vehicle condition report checklist provided afterwards) I noticed that several other contributors had praised Halfords on their service and it was on this basis that I tried them out. It's important I think to give feedback on the good experiences as well as the bad.
Re: Servicing - Andrew Hamilton
Problem Halfords have is that the service centres are not profitable compared with the stores.
Re: Servicing - Marc
That's probably why Halfords have sold them to the AA. Apparently Halfords are retaining the retailing arm. It was a cheap service - £95 all in
Re: Servicing - David W
Marc,

Interested to know if they followed the Mercedes schedule or a "yearly" one of their own. Did they give you advice on future brake fluid/coolant change requirements?

David
And what parts did they change for that?

David
David, they covered everything in the MB schedule apart from fitting a new wiper blade (which with my mileage means every six months anyway) In addition to the MB schedule they fitted a new air filter (which only needs doing every 36k) Other new parts were oil filter, Castrol magnatec and spark plugs. They recommended that the brake fluid be replaced at the next service as it's boiling point was 137C (it was changed about 16 months ago when I had new discs and pads all round) All fluids were checked and topped up incl PAS, gearbox and rear axle. Drive belts, handbrake, engine timing and idle speed were checked and adjusted. Wheels came off to check brake thickness. Plus all the usual MOT stuff whilst up on the ramps like suspension, steering, brake pipes, wheel bearings, exhaust (although I didn't have an MOT done) I personally think this is good value, what do you reckon?
Oh yes and the coolant was fine - protected down to -37C apparently (had new rad fitted two months ago)
Marc,

Sounds very very good. I've just done a similar service on a 1991 190E, but for various reasons we didn't need the air filter or plugs. Charged £54.94 so with the extra parts I'd have been up to about £80.

For Halfords to get within £15 of this with their overheads is good. My worry with such "set" services is they often ignore the maker schedule and go for a set of easy checks. As a bonus they gave good advice on the brake fluid/coolant issues.

***** rating I'd say.

David