What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Diagnostic Mode - Adam {P}
I understand that this may be better suited to technical matters but it's not really technical although it may sound it.

The long and short of it is that I found out how to enter the Ford Alarm Diagnostic Mode today (open and close a door quickly 8 times or the bonnet alarm catch button can be pressed 8 times) at which point the car alarm will make a short beep and the indicators will flash. This is to let you open each door, turn locks etc.. to make sure all areas of the car which are designed to be alarmed are actually working. Handy feature I thougt. Then I tried it on my Dad's.

As I am sure you are all aware, I have a '96 Fiesta Ghia so as far as Fiestas go, it's alright. My dad has a 2000 Focus Ghia but has no alarm. Can someone enlighten me as to why a '96 Fiesta has an alarm yet the 2000 Focus doesn't???

It seems shocking to me that on a Ghia, there is no alarm. I know it sounds like car snobbery and maybe it is although it should be noted that when we bought it, we didn't really want a Ghia - we were intent on buying a saloon only to discover that at that point, saloons were made in Ghia versions only.

Many thanks

Adam.
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
Ford Diagnostic Mode - NARU
The Fiesta alarm is just a simple perimeter one (and not fitted on all models). The Focus alarm is an option on most models [standard on the ST170), and is perimeter only on the 3-door, but perimeter and interior scan on the 5-door.

However, all current Fiesta and Focus models have an immobiliser. Given that most people ignore car alarms, I assume that Ford only fit them where they think it will add to sales.

So, I assume they are targetting their customer base, and what those customers want. If more elderly people buy Fiestas Ghias, and those elderly people want an alarm, for example.