What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Diesels and catalysts - Kingpin
I had a thought this evening, it may sound a stupid question but do diesels have catalytic converters? I seem to remember modern models with advanced engine management eg. 'common rail' may have them, but what about older diesels, for example Ford Mondeo TD or Vectra? I was uncertain with the different emissions a diesel engine produces, and would the soot block such a device?
On a related point, is it true that exhaust systems on diesel models outlast their petrol equivalents due to reduced condensation or acidic deposits? If that is true then another reason in favour of changing to diesel.

Thanks
Diesels and catalysts - Sooty Tailpipes
Well, diesels have had them for a good few years, I knew of an L reg Audi with one for a start. But they're simple (and small) oxidation catalysts, whereas petrols have a three-way catalyst. The diesel ones seem smaller and don't get as hot as petrol ones. Probably just put on diesels to cheer naive wannabe green people up.
Diesels and catalysts - Andrew-T
Pug diesels have had cats since about '96, a year or two before the HDi came along. On your question of exhaust longevity, that is also true in my experience. Wife's 205 DT exhaust was still all original when sold on at 10 years old. I put in down to a good internal coating of soot. And yes, I think it does score more than a few £££ in favour of diesel.
Diesels and catalysts - jc
Diesel cats;-well,some Euro countries mainly Germany required cats from 1985 onwards even tho' not legally needed but when St.II and III and IV(when legal) and V(2010) catalysts will move towards the engine to have an effect along with particulate traps.
Diesels and catalysts - Kingpin
Thanks for the replies - very informative. Good to see there is a ready source of knowledgeable back roomers ready to provide detailed information.
Diesels and catalysts - cholin
My Pug 406 2.1TD.had a cat failure at 60,000 miles or thereabouts the replacement cost £300. It sounds from the above that they may be unnecessary, can you leave them off or will this upset the ecu?
Diesels and catalysts - Matt
My Pug '96 306 1.9d, before it went through a hedge, originally had a catalyst but this was removed by the garage when I replaced the exhaust (at 72,000 miles out of interest) and replaced by a straight piece of pipe with no ensuing emissions problems at all. Diesel exhausts tend to last longer due to the lower operating temperature of the diesel engine and therefore the exhaust system - less expanding, cooling and heat induced wear.
Diesels and catalysts - DL
Diesels can run without a cat, easily.

This is demonstarted (above^) on the 306, replacing it with a pipe from a non-cat model. Easy.

Never replace a diesel catalyst - they're not legally required!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Diesels and catalysts - Edd
Diesels don't have cats as such they have apart which everyone calls a cat.
You can remove it but you may loose some performacne (torque mid range0 and posisble som top end HP (maybe you will gain some it depends)
Diesels and catalysts - Edd
Diesel last longer han petrosl due to loads of reason but one easy one is diesel doesn't corrode and run at lower speeds so less wear.