What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Who will buy this car - jw edinburgh
Where is the best place to sell my wife's 1999 T reg Ford Focus. 1.6LX 5 door hatchback, 82000 miles, owned since new & full service history. Not in too bad condition. I was thinking auction, but not too keen on private selling.
Secondly, what is it worth?

JW Edinburgh
Who will buy this car - carayzee
I wouldn't put your car through the auction as a private punter, unless you can negotiate a deal. They will try to charge you 10% and put no reserve on it, I've seen it done many a time, I used to work at BCA Edinburgh. If you can negotiate a flat fee of say £100-£150 and set a sensible reserve, say 3k, then do it.
Give them a phone or pop in on a quiet afternoon, say Wednesday or Friday. I think you'd get a grand more selling it privately though.
Who will buy this car - DavidHM
Would an eBay sale be of interest to you?

I reckon the car's worth about £4k without air con and about £4,400 with in a private sale, probably about £600 or so less at auction.

If you have the chance, you could eBay it. That way, people don't call round (much) and waste your time, you have an idea of the buyer's trustworthiness, and people are generally accepting of getting a car that isn't new but is truly as described. Being honest about a car's bad points can actually be a moneymaker for you.

Otherwise, you could take the contrary approach and decide where you'd go if you wanted to buy a similar car - 5 years old, small hatchback, averageish mileage - and see what those dealers will give you for it.