What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Stainless steel silencers - Ron Young
Having to replace my second rear silencer box in six years on my Mercedes E200 W124 model. Merc main agent price £260. I have been offered a stainless steel box at around £120. Price not being the main consideration can anyone offer me some opinions on stainless steel boxes or other alternatives.

Thanks.
Re: Stainless steel silencers - Andy P
Stainless steel exhausts tend to be a bit louder than normal mild steel types, but they don't suffer from rust. All stainless steel exhaust systems ususally come with a lifetime warranty, so buy it.

Andy
Re: Stainless steel silencers - andy bairsto
Not true some have mild steel internals and do not last much longer than a good normal exhaust .Borla make one with lifetime gaurantee but they or not cheap.The DB original should last at least five years .My 97 c class with 120000km was on its first system when I sold it
Re: Stainless steel silencers - THe Growler
Probably not a lot of help to you guys but it brings home to me how much you are getting ripped off back there in Euroland. Here in Manila you pop down to the Street of a Thousand Sheet Metal Workers with your car. They have something to fit just about everything, if not, at their brother's pace next door doesn't they'll weld you one up in a couple of hours copying your old one. Cost? about 30-40 pounds for a whole exhaust system, depending on how complex. Sometimes they'll give you a newspaper and a beer and do it while you wait, if it's only a small job.

The fit will be fine and it'll work OK. May not last 5 years but certainly won't fall off and compared to your prices, so what? Won't upset the beardy weirdies either, 'cos a lot of it will be from recycled offcuts of metal.
Re: Stainless steel silencers - Andy P
I did say that stainless systems USUALLY come with a lifetime warranty. Those that don't obviously aren't made entirely from stainless, as you point out. However, in my experience, these are few and far between.

Andy
Re: Stainless steel silencers - John Slaughter
Andy

I've been told that stainless exhausts can be louder than originals. However, I suspect this is where a thinner gauge steel has been used, taking advantage of the corrosion resistance. So, check the quality before you buy, as both price and quality vary. I put a stainless system on my Minor a while back. Heavy gauge, no noisier than the original, lifetime warranty, and change from £50.

Regards

john
Re: Stainless steel silencers - Ron Young
Many thanks for all of the replies I go forward much better informed. Incidentally is The Growler anything to do with "The Growler?" If he is he will know the publication I mean.
Re: Stainless steel silencers - THe Growler
"THe Growler" is my rider (HOG) and e-mail nick.

Sorry don't know the publication to which you refer.

"Growlette" is my squeeze -- she who sits on the back, and occasionally fires off an opinion in these hallowed columns.

Both of believe the last proper cars were made in the 60's and only about three decent records appeared after 1970......
Re: Stainless steel silencers - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
I bought a stainless steel silencer for my Marcos many years ago. The actual construction of the outer was stainless but unfortunately had been mig welded with ordinary steel filler rod and consequently literally fell to bits. I fitted a stainless system from Mr Exhaust (Sussex) to a 1980 Carina in 1982. The car was scrapped last year with over 250k miles but the system was still sound.Just needed new rubbers annually.
Re: Stainless steel silencers - Andrew Hamilton
I seem to remember from my welding course that the heat from welding can change the grain structure and the stainless steel can rust. Something about things precipitating out.
I was told that even if the exhaust is stainless non-stainless fittings/clamps may be used which do rust.
All grist to the mill. I am still reading.
Re: Stainless steel silencers - andy bairsto
depending on its quality stainless steel will rust ,the best companies use aircraft standard a visit to the borla webb site wil explain all there is to know.
Re: Stainless steel silencers - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Ron,

Not quite relevant to your Merc perhaps, depending on it's age, but it high time manufacturers offered stainless systems (at least as an option, if not as standard) on all cars, that now have to be fitted with catalytic converters. The cat, once up to it's own operating temp, produces large quantities of water, and unless the vehicle is used on journies long enough to raise the temp of the system along it's entire length sufficiently to literally boil away this moisture, it collects in pools at the lowest points of the system / silencers and starts it's evil process. This is why so many "town use" cars with cats go through mild steel exhausts in no time - one main dealer local to me actually asked me to confirm this in my weekly local newspaper column to help get irate customers off their back !

Regards, Adam
Re: Stainless steel silencers - John Davis
Ref stainless steel exhaust systems, I have been recommended to "Powerflow Exhausts" who will make up a part, or complete system, on site. I have not used them yet but intend to investigate further. I understand that they will add s/s items to a steel system and still give the lifetime guarantee, as with the complete system. They have a number of branches throughout UK. If anyone has a comment, for or against their products, it would be appreciated.
Re: Stainless steel silencers - David W
Ron,

Just one point from me. I have know Mercedes and BMW to be the most sensitive cars to the quality of exhaust fitted. With both makes I've known owners find aftermarket silencers give unwanted resonances in the car. So much so they've had them removed after a week and replaced with OE fittments.

This could be because the cars are smooth anyway and any little extra noise shows up, also owners of such cars may be less willing to "put up with it until it rots out in another three years".

David
Re: Stainless steel silencers - Alyn Beattie
Hi John

Could you let me have an address or web site for Powerflow Exhausts.
The middle box on my turbo diesel Carlton has just disintergrated. None of the replacement boys can supply one and Vauxhalls "no longer service this item"
Adam et al

A very interesting string. Many thanks to all who replied. My car is essentially a town car and very probably owes it's desire to chew up exhausts and brake parts to it's lifestyle. Oh well - next question is - what is a reasonable distance which would be required to fully heat up the exhaust system in order to evaporate the water generated by the catalyser? Or is that "how long is a piece of string?"

Ron Young

PS For info "The Growler" is the publication of The Shackleton (the aircraft) association.
Re: Stainless steel silencers - Simon Saxton

Interesting thread. I researched the subject when running classic cars but am out of date now.If you buy stainless ensure that it is austenitic, which is the top grade(Non magnetic) generally 18swg used by quality manufacturers.It will not rust, sometimes with age, it will develop an orange film which can be readily removed(Caring owners with these systems keep them polished anyway).Rubbers need to be checked annually(as previously suggested) because they are heavier than cheapo mild steel systems. They were always significantly more expensive than mild steel but if car is being retained for several years(or short journey syndrome) they will pay for themselves.Yes they resonate but not excessively if a quality manufacturer is used.I am sure HJ can recommend the modern quality manufacturers but I note that several old established midland firms still survive-which speaks for itself.

regards
Simon
Re: Stainless steel silencers - Ben Chapman
Be careful. Most stainless backboxes on the market are designed for the boy racer market. Many are very noisy indeed. Check that the whole silencer is constructed from stainless steel.
The main problem i have noted with stainless systems is cracking. Check the garuantee. A know of someone who bought a tubular exhaust manifold which cracked. He tried to get a new one under warranty, but they said his engine mounts were not up to scratch, and told him to go away. If i bought one, i would change the exhaust rubbers every year.
Beware most companies if you are looking for any sort of power gain. Manufacturers spend thousands developing exhaust for their cars to maximise performance and economy. I think it far more likely the enginers who designed the original system know what they are doing, rather than some bloke called Dave is a shed with a welder that spends 80% of his budget on advertising.
In particular, if its an old VAG vehicle, just get a new one from the main dealer. Price/quality is great. A friend of mine has a mostly 13year old exhaust on his Jetta. I have never seen an aftermarket exhaust that offers any power gains, on a reasonably standard engine, over a standard one on a 16v Jetta, or a 205 1.9.
If you want a stainless system, i have seen exhausts from Hayward and Scott ( www.haywardandscott.co.uk ) that looked great, but they were expensive. However, they will make an exhaust to your exact requirements.

Ben