What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
\'Ere we go. Again. - THe Growler

Ossifer I swear this is true.

The last thing I remember was drinking Pepsi in my pal Buboy\'s bike showroom with Jean Pierre and Bertrand, my fellow riders. The first is a Norman (says don\'t forget 1066 we\'ll get you next time) while the second is a Breton. Both thus vehemently deny they are Les Grenouilles, but that doesn\'t stop them rubbing salt in this outnumbered Rosbif\'s 6 Nations Rugby wounds. Well they deserved the win. England played like a bunch of ..well I won\'t say that because you can\'t any more since New Labour banned free speech.

We were looking at a wide array of recently imported spotless Harleys this a.m.. Bertrand being a bit of a French poofter (don\'t worry I always call him thus and he isn\'t insulted in the least and he gives as good as he gets, but this being a family forum so I can\'t say what he calls me...) goes for this beautiful turquoise and cream 2002 Heritage Softail. The spirit of California H\'way 101 expressed as a motorcycle and truly a tribute to Willie G. (pause to wipe drool of face). Takes it for a spin, got the EFI and the twin cam engine so no vibes,dripping with chrome, pulls like a train, takes it up to about 200 kph and comes back utterly besotted. I can understand it. It is the J-Lo of motorcycles.

It will take 3 weeks to get the import papers for reasons which cannot be discussed here but then it will be legal. He wants it badly despite the fact it would buy a new Corolla Altis and leave enough change for the wife/mistress to enjoy a holiday on the spotless white sands of Borocay island (although both at the same time might be an ill-advised decision). But this is nothing to do with reason, it is all about I want it so I\'m going to have it. Truly it is one beautiful example of Milwaukee\'s finest.

Now I find myself the p***tive owner of Bertrand\'s stunning red and white \'92 Heritage because it seems I offered him a bit more than the dealer did in part-ex. I knew that extra glass of Ricard was a pastis too far.....these treacherous Gauls. How come I did that? That\'s a 2, shortly to be a 3 Harley household. All it needs now is Growlette to say she\'s infanticipating and penury looms. Not only that but there\'s another 14 months before I enjoy the UK Social Security\'s benificence after a lifetime of contributions which would have made several zillion times the same amount had it gone into a Standard & Poors tracker rather than serially incompetent seat warmers\' custody in successive UK governments. I don\'t need the bus pass but do you think I could claim the heating allowance? Anyone want to buy a very nice newish house in Lincs with gold plated taps in the 2 bathrooms on a sizeable piece of land ? To you Guv, special price, 2 car garage to boot.

Need urgent help: explain to ex that alimony could be a bit late this month, ask daughter at college to hold off on banking that p.d. cheque for a week or so,can probably fudge those, but I need a good story for Catherine, who is away with Mum at the moment and not easily impressed by spurious tales of derring-do. especially when they involve my biker friends and the juice of the grape, none of whiuch she trusts individually or collectively. Her normally angelic face sort of resolves into a kick-ass look which you do not want to be on the receiving end of.

She\'s already put 7 text messages on my cp today to find out what I\'m up to. Isn\'t trust a wonderful thing? She instinctively knows motorcycles me her being away = the unexpected.

If I\'d been there you wouldn\'t have done it...etc etc now you have to park your car in the road because I\'m not giving up my space (and so on and so forth). I can hear it already. You\'re a crazy one. Etc Etc. Photos to follow.

Dig a hole and fall in it. Serves me right before anyone else says it. No complaints, Live it while it lasts.

Have a nice weekend there.

Later.....
'Ere we go. Again. - THe Growler
Wow that auto censor is something. Speaks Spanish already.

"p u t a tive"
'Ere we go. Again. - Phil I
Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear. You have really lost the plot G. You could take a leaf from T.B's book and just deny it ever happened, but somehow I do not think C. will believe you. You should have remembered you can only ride one bike at a time.:-))

Happy Motoring Phil I
Yes, I'm troppo for sure (it's the heat and the flies y'know) but I think I have a way out of this, If Ms Philippines passes her Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course on Thursday she really wants to ride with the boys and I have the exact right Sportster 883 cc for her. 1998 one. Black and orange. Not too big or heavy for her little 100lb bod to handle but fast enough to keep up. She doesn't know. Whoops a bit more of daughter's inheritance (mis) spent.

I thought if she gets her cert and the endorsement on her licence(for sure she will, C always gets what she wants and I of all people should know that) I might just surprise her with a (almost) new bike.

Just to say I am so proud of her. Gutsy doesn't begin to tell it.
She has real balls. I should be so lucky.

OK enough self-indulgence. I'm gone.

+

'Ere we go. Again. - Ian (Cape Town)
>>If Ms Philippines passes her Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course on Thursday

Best of luck to Growlette on the test (or should I say "Hopefully she'll have the correct number of large-denomination peso notes in her handbag"?)
By the way, yesterday, when you were not out being led astray by Gallic chaps, did you remembeer that it was the Mustang's 40th birthday? There were quite a few snarling round town yesterday, en route to a rally. (I didn't get that far. Mrs I wanted to go and buy clothes for the kids ... I ask you...)
I hope you baked a cake.
Indeed so Ian. Nothing I can pick up on so far in the Land of Sun & Fun to say the 'Stang's 40th birthday was marked here and I'm on so many email lists I'm sure I would have known. Given the large number of US Vets retired here on their pensions and so many Mussies, Camaros, Chargers etc here I am a bit surprised, not to say disappointed. Mine is presently parked up due to my recent preoccupations with other things, but I'll get it out on Tuesday. Still can't get those rear lights to work, but that exhaust note is addictive and I need my fix......such a good job premium unleaded only 24p/liter equiv in Asia's only true democracy....

My very favourite Mustang story is when the 64½ came out and this guy wanted it so badly he slept in it overnight in the showroom. Urban myth maybe but so what. One day I'll tell you about my personal similar experience. (That's if everyone isn't bored to death by now).

I think Growlette will pass her ladies' m/c safety foundation course OK. No she won't pay anything under the table. She will get the job done right because that's her style. She is a very diligent student and when she sets her mind on something she usually achieves it. She's a good little rider, just she lacks that extra confidence to explore her bike's capabilities. That's just down to practice and good instruction. Trail brake while upright, into 3rd, revs up, hit the apex, focus on the vanishing point, lay her over, wind her up, look where you want to go and she'll follow and let the Good Lord and Metzler take care of the rest. She never threw her leg over a bike till she met me so fair play to her. She is one the boys, and you can't say fairer than that. It's all about faith I guess. She's scared of the corners but she can do feet-up better U-turns than I can, so I've got nothing to boast about.

But while Harleys will pursue a rock steady line wherever you point them, those Yamahas suddenly develop a mind of their own in the twisties, which is a bit disconcerting. We have to get this all sorted, there is only about 8 weeks left before the rains and then no more riding. Long wet evenings watching HBO re-runs on cable.....with Domino's take-out, Dadi is my ass getting big...etc etc.

Our lot are taking a ride up-country to some nice beaches next month. I promise to post some pictures. It's a bit of an Iron Butt haul at my age, though, and as anno domini clocks up I must admit the old thigh muscles complain a bit. I neglected the winburn on my arms yesterday too. Should know better.

We have these concrete provincial roads which really punish, Lord knows what they do to my head bearings. Anyway this "new" Hog I acquired without somehow realising it has squishy suspension compared to my Softail, so perhaps better on a long run.

Too much from both of us this week on HJ's forum. Sorry. It's been busy here. Plus hot as Hades, global warming may well be a reality after all.

Catherine says Hi.

Growler & Growlette out /