What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Oil changes - Malcolm
I have allways allowed the oil to drain overnight, pruducing approx half a cup of oil after the initial drain-off. Is this a good thing to do, my 160000 mile Honda Civic does not seem to have suffered so far.
Regards Malcolm.
Re: Oil changes - Dan J
It is undoubtedly a very good thing to do - Many garages when servicing a car simply bung the sump plug back in the car as soon as the oil has stopped gushing out and few actually let the sump drain for more than a few minutes. By doing this you are getting a good deal more of the old oil (plus all the nasty things in it with you don't want) out so there is more clean oil in afterwards - it also shows how much old oil does get left in when garages service the car (I leave plug out for about an hour and get about 1/4 a cup). It is probably one of several reasons as to why your Civic has not suffered so far and will continue not to do so for many more miles yet!
Re: Oil changes - David W
Malcolm/Dan,

Any of these little twiddly bits that the DIY chap can do are never bad, but don't be down on the garages that just do the job properly.

Most of us will let the sump drain for a minute or two, if nothing else to stop the oil running down our sleeves.

The whole of the inside of the engine is coated with old oil and this is picked up by the new oil on the first start. Many diesels with blacken the new oil within minutes of starting from these "undrainable" deposits.

David
Re: Oil changes - Cliff Pope
But check the maker's recommendations first. Some oil pumps lose all the oil on the suction side if not immediately refilled, and have to be re-primed. I do recall that on a Triumph Stag this involved removing the oil pump and packing with Vaseline.

Otherwise, I would thoroughly agree.

Cliff
Re: Oil changes - Dave N
Surely, if the sludge or whatever (and I'm not sure you get any of this nowadays) is at the bottom, it comes out first anyway?
Re: Oil changes - Dave
Dave N wrote:
>
> Surely, if the sludge or whatever (and I'm not sure you get
> any of this nowadays) is at the bottom, it comes out first
> anyway?

Not at all. I never rinse some clean oil through to wash out the old but the one time I did it brought thick black sludge out with it...
Oil changes - let it drip! - David Lacey
When I was 'On the Spanners' I fell into a Service Routine.

I would add the 300ml engine flush, run the engine and raise the car on the ramp. Quick inspection of the exhaust and tyres whilst the engine was warming.
Back to the floor and kill the engine. Back up into the air and let the oil and filter go, down to wheel level and de-dedust/clean and adjust the brakes.
By the time this was done, the oil had been draining for some 20 mins or so.

Quite suprising the amount of oil you can get out of the engine by draining overnight.

Rgds

David
Re: Oil changes - let it drip! - David W
20 minutes David!

How on earth did you remember where the sump plus was after that time?

David
Re: Oil changes - Martin
It may seem wasteful, but I usually pour in some fresh oil (half a pint-ish) to 'flush out' the engine before putting the sump plug back in.

Martin.