What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Baby on board - Sue
The question's been asked a lot lately: I don't know anybody who's gone out and bought one. However, they are often given by loving grandparents, aunts, uncles etc, and as you don't want to hurt their feelings you put in the car.

Mine was a gift from my brother-in-law and said "Harassed mother on board". I didn't put it in the rear window because that would have obstructed my view, but it fitted into the little triangular window behind the back seat on the driver's side, which was a blind spot as far as I could tell. Did I expect other people to drive differently as a result? No, but it cheered me up whenever I saw it, so I probably drove more safely as a result.
Re: Baby on board - Andy
I've got a feeing that cars like Fiat Puntos and Renault Clios come with these things already fitted, in the same way that Citroen 2CVs came out of the factory with those 'NUCLEAR POWER - NO THANKS' stickers in the back windows. These cars seemed to be driven (and still are) by corduroy-trousered Guardian readers who didn't know that the 2CV was the worst polluter on the road. Oops.
Re: Baby on board - Ian Cook
"but it fitted into the little triangular window behind the back seat on the driver's side"

Sue

I read this a couple of times before I realised that it wasn't the baby that was a present from your loving aunt or uncle - but a sticker!

Silly me - I've probably been watching too many Blackadder video re-runs.

Ian
Re: Baby on board - Pete
I see a sign saying "Baby on Board" - what am I meant to DO about it? If I am close enough to read it I am probably too close! About as much use as that pretentious posers sign saying "Caution - Show Dogs in Transit". So what, who cares!
Re: Baby on board - Stuart
The original idea of baby on board stickers was a good one. They were removable and you were only supposed to put them up when a baby WAS on board. The idea being that the emergency services could easily overlook a small child in a car wreck and there might be nobody alive/awake to tell them it was there. The sticker would mean search until you found it.

As people soon took to leaving them in place even when a baby is not on board the effect is now negated.
Re: Baby on board - Stu
Stuart, it's worse than that as the emergercy services probably waste time looking when there was no baby aboard in the first place.
S.
Re: Baby on board - Tomo
Very interesting thread; I was never sure what I was supposed to do, my reaction being "well don't blame me"!
Re: Baby on board - Sue
Tomo wrote:
>
> Very interesting thread; I was never sure what I was supposed
> to do, my reaction being "well don't blame me"!

Not for that, anyway.

Of course, the 'Harassed mother on board' remains true, even now the 'babies' are almost as big as I am. Unfortunately I've lost the sticker.