What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
5th Gear is back. - Dynamic Dave
New series tonight. 8:30pm. Channel 5.

Details of this week\'s show here:-

www.five.tv/home/frameset/?content=2278491

Repeated Tues at 7:30pm for those watching Coronation St, Salvage Squad, whatever tonight.

5th Gear is back. - mattyw.
Where's Quentin Wilson? Is he involved with motoring TV shows any more? His expertise are missed; in my opinion he's better than Clarkson.
5th Gear is back. - Chicken Madras
Isn't he doing a new series of "Britain's Worst [insert subject here]"? Could have sworn I heard him mention that when he was on Steve Wright recently.

I agree with you about Clarkson re Wilson. If Clarkson doesn't like a car's ashtray or thinks it is being driven by the wrong person/type of person then it is obviously a bad car.

When Clarkson did his Brunel thing, I thought we'd seen a change for the better. Perhaps it's the company of his Top Gear cronies which puts him into "Child Mode".
5th Gear is back. - dodo
And wasn't it good too! My wife watched it with me (we're thinking about changing our people carrier) and said it was excellent. Have to agree and no room for a pratt like Clarkson to look down on us. Why cant we have informative programmes presented by real drivers who know what they are talking about!
5th Gear is back. - Andy P
JC is no pratt - he's a very canny TV presenter. He knows what pulls in the viewers, and that's what he does. It may not be to everyone's liking, but it works. If you want informative views on cars, buy a copy of Car magazine.

Andy
5th Gear is back. - patently
Is it just me or did the crash between a 2004 Espace and a 1994 Espace scare the wits out of everyone?
5th Gear is back. - vercin
Is it just me or did the crash between a 2004
Espace and a 1994 Espace scare the wits out of everyone?

You are not alone.

I watched it, and, as I videoed the programme (in case I missed it) and then watched it again with SHMBO.

Very good informative TV journalism. Makes you think and, hopefully, may encourage safer driving.

Mind you the BMW /Volvo one from the last series... Yuk.

Regards

Vercin
5th Gear is back. - Roger Jones
Crashing cars, racing non-racing cars, driving and tyre-burning out-of-reach exotic cars ? now, where have I seen all that before? We all know that vehicle safety technology is getting better, so what's new?

Oh dear, 'ow sad, never mind. But I do mind. What a waste of airtime.
5th Gear is back. - patently
We all know that vehicle safety technology is getting better, so what's new?

Surely the message of the report was not limited to this. As you say, it is well known that new cars are objectively safer. Thus, old cars can be expected to become relatively less safe, i.e. as compared to a new car. Nevertheless, if this were the only factor then it would be just as safe to drive in them today as it was yesterday. The worry was that higher levels of safety could be achieved by buying a new car.

But, as the report highlighted, the rigidity which a new car must display in order to meet current NCAP requirements means that in a collision, the older car suffers more than it would have, had it hit a car of the same vintage. Thus, as time passes and the safety standard rises, older cars are becoming objectively less safe, i.e. are actually more dangerous to drive around in than when they were new.
5th Gear is back. - PoloGirl
Riiight.... and Vicky Butler Henderson is an informed journalist/real driver is she??

Pah! ;-)

5th Gear is back. - nick
Yep.
If Vicky Butler Henderson is anything but token positive discrimination totty, then I'm "really a very good driver".

5th Gear is back. - PR {P}
She has a racing licence and drives (by choice) a Honda S2000!
5th Gear is back. - nick
And could probably drive rings round everyone on here.
5th Gear is back. - martint123
She is also a racing instructor and has been since before being old enough for a road license.
5th Gear is back. - No Do$h
Not to mention that she's a cracking piece of zzzzzzkkrkrkrzzzt.... plink!

We apologise for the disruption in service. Normal No Dosh (shum mishtake, shurely?) will resume shortly.
5th Gear is back. - A Dent{P}
All that aside, the wreckage speaks for it's self. I know where I'd rather be. It is interesting that at a combined collision speed of 70 MPH the air bags did not need to deploy.
5th Gear is back. - Mad Maxy
The prog said a crash speed of 35 mph. Didn't make clear whether both were doing 35 or whether the combined speed was 35. I suspect the former but I'd have liked to be sure.

But consider. The thrust of the argument is that old, weak-structured car meets strong modern car and comes off badly. Better to be in strong modern car obviously, not least because its rate of deceleration in the accident is slower - the new Espace ate into the old one. What if strong modern car meets strong modern car? A better passenger experience than 'old weak' meets 'old weak', but surely the passengers will fare worse than in the 5G test.

Point is that it's not all black and white. Moral: avoid an accident in the first place. All rather obvious really.

But it was worthwhile highlighting for non-petrol/dieselheads the improvements in car occupant safety that modern design has given. I'd rather have a lower-spec modern car than a higher spec old one.
5th Gear is back. - volvoman
Yeah but would she be on the show if she looked like a traction engine ?
5th Gear is back. - madf
I enjoyd show: more real world than Top Gear.
VBH is always worth watching and listening to...

madf

5th Gear is back. - Mad Maxy
Prefer watching...
5th Gear is back. - tunacat
Steady on, PG - we didn't complain when you extolled the virtues of Richard Hammond!

By the way, V B-H does nothing for me, and I'm about Hammond's height. Two plus-points?

;-)
Ah but Hammond *knows about cars*.... and he certainly wasn't employed for his looks! VBH would probably admit herself she got the Top Gear job because she was in the right place at the right time when they were looking for totty to boost ratings.

Anyway, to more important stuff, Tunacat... what do you drive and are you any good at washing up? ;-)

Congrats PoloGirl, in view of your earlier comment it seems you are a really good driver! ;-)
Ooh, PG, you have been touched by the green-eyed monster!

VBH knows more about performance driving than the majority of contributors here, myself included. To quote from her agency (Princess Productions):

Vicki?s experience is extensive and first hand. She completed her first motor sport race at the age of 12 (in a 100cc kart) and was a racing instructor at Brands Hatch and Silverstone by the age of 17! On completing a journalism course Vicki started work at Car Mechanics magazine, before co-launching Max Power magazine and working as a road tester for Auto Express, the Daily Telegraph, The Times and becoming News Editor for What Car?

Vicki's love of all things related to motor sport and speed has led her to spend a great deal of her spare time racing cars, everything from single seaters to saloon cars. She currently holds a Race National A licence as well as a Power Boats racing licence. She is also the proud owner of a Ducati Monster 750!

I expect a full retraction from you, Ms P Girl, along with evidence of you having printed your words and enjoyed them for your dinner tonight!

Huff! Having a go at our Vicks. It's just not on.... [grumble mumble....]

ND
Hmph... Ok OK!!

But I still maintain that she wouldn't have got the job on TV if she looked like, well... me!

So we can expect a photo of you eating a screenprint of the BR?
Hmph

tinyurl.com/25ky5
Ah yes, Brainiac. He must be so very proud to have that on his CV!
5th Gear is back. - NowWheels
So we can expect a photo of you eating a screenprint
of the BR?

If she doesn't eat the printout within 14 days, will the fixed penalty be automatically doubled to eating the monitor?

(Hammond's a bit young for me, I'd be accused of cradle-snatching again. So PG's object of desire is safe from me!)
5th Gear is back. - Steve S
Cracking post ND. No longer do I have to justify my preference for the lovely VBH with anything other than her motoring credentials!

I'm shallow enough to admit though, she could be reading the phone book and she'd still get my vote.
Cracking post ND. No longer do I have to justify
my preference for the lovely VBH with anything other than her
motoring credentials!

It does rather get us blokes off the hook, doesn't it.
I'm shallow enough to admit though, she could be reading
the phone book and she'd still get my vote.

Something as interesting as the phone book? She could read a blank sheet of paper as far as I'm concerned..... [longing sigh]
5th Gear is back. - frostbite
Plus, that does have to be the sexiest chuckle I have ever heard.

(I do wish I could get a decent picture from Ch5 though)
www.princess.uk.com/talent/vicki_bh.html

Just print the publicity pic and stick it on your screen.
5th Gear is back. - tunacat
PG, what would you like someone to drive? I drive what I feel like, as long as I feel I can justify it, but equally I like something that?s fun. I had an Impreza turbo until not long ago. I currently commute 5 miles, along a dual-carriageway, so I now have a 7 year old Primera - it's reliable, has adequate performance, good handling and fair economy for my requirements. It's not too expensive to insure, I don't worry about leaving it anywhere, and don?t care if it gets scratched or dented. But I might change it - just can?t decide between a £400 Daewoo Nexia and a newish Boxster.

As for washing-up, I am the washing-up king! And no wet dog smell allowed on my cutlery!

Back on thread, I?d now like to see the same crash test between a new Espace and a Ford F-150 pickup.

5th Gear is back. - Altea Ego
Richard Hammond? isnt he the small one? the *really* small one?

Anway back on track. I have to say i was impressed, very impressed by the state of the Espace (no the new one) after the crash. Why does no one praise the efforts of car makers for the progress they have made? Everyone always poo poo's these results, with things like "Ah but what would it look like if a Bradley self propelled gun ran over it" "or what would it look like if it got hit by the Flying Scotsman at 100mph"

I'll tell you, better than it would have done 10 years ago. Ok so people who cant afford new cars wont have these enhanced safety levels, but they will in 10 years. So lets say, Well done car makers, lets see how far you can go in the next 5 years.
Agree RF, it did look rather strong, Ill definitely try to avoid hitting one!
My parents have just got one, its very nice indeed. Really smart inside aswell, all the toys