What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1999 1.8 - speedo & odometer ocasionally stops - paul_pompey
I have a 1999 T reg Focus 1.8 zetec ghia and occasionally the speedo stops the dial stops and also the mileometer

It seems random and can last for 5 secs to about 1 minute then seems to work fine again.

It happens at any speed and any gear and engine revs

any ideas would be helpful

Thanks
{header changed - drop down make/model list wasn't an option when this thread was first created - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/10/2007 at 16:12

ford focus speedo - timp
This might help you find out what the problem is:

www.bullittarchive.com/Misc/Instrument_Test/

The above page describes how to perform a test on the instruments - might help you determine the cause - i.e. if the digital speedo still works but the analogue one doesn't, you might have a better idea of where the problem lies.
ford focus speed sensor - paul_pompey
I have narrowed the fault down with my faulty speedo and intermittent engine stalling to a faulty speed sensor

Does anyone know how to fit one is it an aesy diy job ?

Any help much appreciated

Apparently a very common fault on focus's
ford focus speed sensor - cartrouble
Hi,

have read with great interest about the fault on ford focus speedos, I have the same fault, speedo die's milometer go's blank, engine management light comes on and engine won't tick over, the note's on this site look like this is a common fault, could anyone tell me were I would find the speedo sensor and an idea on cost.

Any help would be appreciated.
ford focus speed sensor - gadgee
There is quite a bit on this ford focus speed sensor failure in this website. I had mine replaced at an independent garage for £77 which was £23 for the part and £44 labour. Apparently it can be a difficult job with poor access and bits breaking off when you try to undo the old one.
ford focus speed sensor - cartrouble
Gadgee, Thank you so much for your help, did you have the same things going wrong ?
ford focus speed sensor - gadgee
On my 2002 1.6 Zetec all I noticed was the speedo dropping to zero occasionally. The car still carried on running ok. One strange thing was that if you had AVC(automatic volume control) set on the radio, then the volume would go up and down. This is because the sensor gathers information for various things. A I said, if you do a search for this problem on this forum, you will find that all who have had this fault suffered a variety of symptoms due to a faulty VSS.
ford focus speed sensor - mikej
Sounds like a faulty speed sensor to me.

I changed mine myself - see this post for more info :
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15028&...3

...and see this thread for a reason to get it sorted sooner rather than later !

www.focusowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23448&hi...s
ford focus speed sensor - stuartm
Mike

We fixed a new sensor to a 2001 1.8 last thursday, still no speedo and still stalls at low revs, would re-prgramming the ecu be the answer.

Stuart
ford focus speed sensor - Screwloose
Stuart

Talking to the dashpod would probably be a better test.

Pods do fail [price now slashed] but checking whether it's receiving the speed info would be useful.
ford focus speed sensor - Kongster
I have same problem with my 2003 1.6L Focus. Am in process of replacing whole instrument panel.
Did anyone else with this problem witness power loss and engine cooling fans activating much earlier than normal?
ford focus speed sensor - CRW
Hello. I have recently bought a 2003 Focus TD Ghia. Everything was fine until the speedo, rev counter and temp guage suddenly started dropping and flipping back into life. Has anybody replaced the VSS and found that it doesnt correct the fault? I have no running issues with the car, just the speedo dropping out. Oh, also the abs light flicks in and out, had a diagnostic check done and shows something with the seat belt pretensioner, any ideas any one??
ford focus speed sensor - Yorkbird
Hi,

Did you get a new sensor fitted and did it fix the problem? I have a T Ford Focus and exactly the same thing happens to me. Intermittently the speedo needle drops to zero whilst driving and then suddenly springs back into life, however when approaching a junction and slowing down the power dies. Volume seems to reduce while listening the the radio too. I have been quoted £77 for a new sensor fitted which is why I wanna find out if it worked for you

many thanks
snipquote

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/10/2008 at 12:27

ford focus speed sensor - mfarrow
Did you get a new sensor fitted

That user hasn't visited the forum since his last post above.

In most cases a new sensor will cure the problem. The radio quietens as it thinks you're stationary.
ford focus speed sensor - MikeTorque
This can occur as a result of a faulty battery so it's worth having a battery test or replacing the battery if it's getting on a bit.
ford focus speed sensor - bathtub tom
IIRC there was also a problem with corroded earth connection under the battery.
ford focus speed sensor - mikej
Speedo dropping and then recovering are definitely vss failure symptoms that I experienced. Power loss was a bit more random for me though and not necessarily when approaching junctions.

For the amount of hassle I experienced getting the old vss out, I'd pay a garage £77 to do it if it ever failed again !

Search this forum for 'vss' and you'll find one of my posts describing my experiences when I changed mine.

Since changing the vss, I haven't had any of the speedo dropping to zero/power loss problems reoccuring.