What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Value of part-ex and profit margins - catalyst
I have a Daewoo Lanos 1.6 to part-ex, good body etc. but a few engine problems. Worth £2000 tops, but I'd be lucky to get £1500 privately. What do dealers do with these cars that no-one will buy on the forecourt at a major dealer ? Do they all end up sold at auctions ? And when a Ford dealer sells, say, a on-the-road £10 000 Fiesta, what is his profit margin ? (Do they ever end up just breaking even/losing money on a sale ?)
Value of part-ex and profit margins - Marc
From speaking to a couple of main dealers whilst changing my cars - they are usually put out to auction.

Apparently they are now too risky even to sell on "out the back, sold as seen" to an interested punter - although this might have been sales patter.
Value of part-ex and profit margins - Blue {P}
A new Fiesta has about a 7% profit margin in it, I managed to negotiate most of this in my favour when I bought my Fiesta, and yes, main dealers *do* sometimes just break even and even make losses on some sales, especially the sale of some ex-demo cars.

Blue
Value of part-ex and profit margins - owen
Most main dealers will pass the cars on to other small dealers. Some will put cars through auction, and some will still sell them "out the back".
Value of part-ex and profit margins - catalyst
Interesting, but what do you mean exactly by: 'out the back' ?
Value of part-ex and profit margins - owen
"out the back" means that they will retail cars that they normally wouldn't be keen to, but no warranty, etc.
Value of part-ex and profit margins - stokie
A friend of mine was offered £1100 trade in price for his R reg 65k Astra when trade value was £1500. It did cross my mind that the salesman was allowed to buy and sell trade-ins as a form of commission. Does that happen?