What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Robin Reliant syndrome spreading - Clanger
During the Staurday scuffle for the various bits of the Telegraph, I ended up with the Travel section by accident instead of the Motoring section. My escuse is that the bit that I could see had an advert for an Eastern 4x4 and there was visible part of the unmistakable pedestrian-munching grille of a Cadillac from the '70s. Oh, and some sandalled female feet.

The article, which was by Anne Robinson's daughter, outlined a trip she and her mother took in the USA in this Cadillac. It was described as a "1976 Eldorado Cadillac".

I don't understand why one would put the model name in front of the make when referring to a car. Or, are we all actually driving Megane Renaults, Mondeo Fords and Maestro British Leylands?

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Robin Reliant syndrome spreading - Dwight Van Driver
See more on this

BBC 1 TV 9pm tonite (14th)

DVD
Robin Reliant syndrome spreading - Garethj
I mentioned Model T Ford when this came up a while ago, but there's also the E-Type Jaguar?

Gareth
Robin Reliant syndrome spreading - AR-CoolC
The whole Robin Reliant thing is one of those things that really winds me up (for no reason what so-ever).

But then there are:-
3/5/7 sieres BMW
C/E/M/S class Mercs

So I have to calm down have a coffee and realise that no-one is getting hurt.
But then I start to think about stuffed toys on parcel shelves and thats it I'm off again.

Oh well just call me car-razee.

Robin Reliant syndrome spreading - Chas{P}
Did you see the state of that Caddy under the bonnet?

When it overheated The coolant was mud brown in the expansion tank and the top hose was wrapped up with insulation tape.

I'm surprised it made the trip.
Robin Reliant syndrome spreading - patpending
if you read the back of many cars the type is indeed on the left and the marque on the right....

I agree the description works better with BMWs than with Fords, perhaps when it is a number...that doesn't explain Robin Reliants though! (especially when they are Rialtos but that's another story...)

Pat
Robin Reliant syndrome spreading - Arfur
I always assumed that the transposition of the make and model was due to peoples ignorance. Most of these people also refer to the Regal and the Rialto as a Robin Reliant too.
As a lad I suffered the indignity of my Dad driving a Robin and am therefore very particular about getting it right.