What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
K&N/greenstuff - ROBIN
Does anyone know if these things provide any useful improvement to turbodeisels?
Re: K&N/greenstuff - andy bairsto
K&N air and oil filters are probably the best in the world,Just about every performance vehicle in the states has their air filters or forced air sytems.They may be expensive but they they last forever .Every car I own gets K&N air filter .Look at their web site for all the info you require.
Re: K&N/greenstuff - Dave
andy bairsto wrote:
>
Every car I own gets K&N air
> filter .

Interesting.

I've taken air filters out of cars completely and noticed no performance improvement at all.

Even a K+N filter can't be as resistance free as *no* filter.

Are you sure the K+N filters make a difference?
Yes ,and it is better than no filter as the air is smothed out .Without filter the wave pattern of the air flow is not consistant.And as I have said they last forever.Go to their web site and look at all their products.
Re: K&N/greenstuff - Ian Aspinall
As for greenstuff, I presume you mean the EBC brake pads? If so, I've read very favourable reviews of them when used on performance cars - they're supposed to make a noticeable reduction in brake fade when slowing quickly from high speed - might be overkill on a turbodiesel though?
Re: K&N/greenstuff - Guy Lacey
I've got a K&N cone filter on my Golf and always have done. They seem to help the car pick up a little bit quicker when u load them. Mr Bairsto is right - the K&N acts to smooth the air flow into a more laminar flow allowing increased velocity due to decreased resistance.

The Greenstuff EBC pads are also excellent. I have the EBC greenstuff pads on EBC x-drilled and grooved discs. Although the performance isn't up to modern standards (1991 car) it is a great improvement on a std Golf MkII. The biggest advantage of the greenstuff pads is their lack of brake-dust - important if ur a boy-racer like me who likes to keep his alloys clean.

HOWEVER - methinks u r not referring to Greenstuff pads and instead - another performance filter on the market. Go for it. My brother slapped a K&N on his Citroen BX TD and I'm sure he'll be along to add his own slant.
Re: K&N/greenstuff - dave
i don't understand the lack of brake dust with ebc greenstuff pads. i have them on my car and they dust pretty much as badly as any previous pad i've had. not that i care to be honest as the pedal feel and general performance of the pads has thus far been brilliant.
Re: K&N/greenstuff - Ben Chapman
I must disagree with most people on this , i think cotton gauze air-filters like K&N replacement pannel filters are crap. I has been proven in indepandant tests (MIRA) that these filters do not filter dirt anywhere near as well as a standard Mann filter. I have found this out by wasting my money on a K&N type filter.
In a mk.2 golf gti the filter is not the biggest flow resitriction- it is the metering head itself. The airbox too also impeedes flow. Just changing the filter will not give any more power, its just makes more induction noise.
Foam filters are better, in particular ITG. These filters far outperform the standard filter in removing dirt.
Induction kit type installations can increase power by up to 3% on some cars. It depends which vehicle they are fitted to, and the state of tuning of the engine. However, poor installation can result in warm air being drawn into the engine which will reduce power. Plus they make a lot of noise. Try fitting one to a T5 and you will know what i mean- you can hear all kinds of annoying wooshing noises inside the cabin. Not worth the extra percent or two of power.

Ben
Re: K&N/greenstuff - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
I like the idea of K & Ns in principle. I have one inside thew original housing on my VW T4. However I fitted one onto a 16v Astra GSi and it was not a happy bunny at all. Refitted the original airbox with a K&N inside it and all was well again. I think that it upset the airflow thro' the MAF. Similar installation on a pug 205...whoosh!!!! I think the airflowmeter prefers the operating angle of the K&N kit on the pug.
Re: K&N/greenstuff - Guy Lacey
The only downside I can see to fitting a K&N is the removal of the cold start and sometimes the crankcase breather inlet but on a diesel this won't be a problem methinks. Turbo whine may be an issue if you are sensitive to noise!

"dave" - have u got the EBC discs aswell? After previous Brembo/Mintex experience the EBC greenstuff are miles ahead in terms of dusting and performance IMHO.
Re: K&N/greenstuff - afm
I don't know about K&N filters, they may, or may not, be better quality than other manufacturer's filters. However, more laminar flow, increased velocity due to decreased resistance? Eerr, no.

This is advertisers' recycled meaningless jargon. I can recognize it as such because it's complete twaddle. Flow is laminar or turbulent, and this is turbulent. Filters have a resistance. Dirty filters have more resistance to air flow but will trap smaller particles.

Any real benefits in these things other than the shiny chrome bits that make them look nice? What particle sizes will they stop?
AFM,I suggest you physically look at a K&N and you will see what we are talking about,they do not resemble a normal paper air filter in the slightest
The question is whether they're any better other standard air filters. They're certainly more expensive.

They may be better or they may not be; I don't know and I've asked if anyone can explain the benefits. No one has, as yet, but I wait in hope.
They are better there is an improvement in performance and or economy,There are many types of K&N the fact they last forever must be a plus point.Go to their webb site and learn all about the product and make your own mind up.An example would be a corvette LS1 with out K&N top speed 173mph with the full K&N set up 182mph plus a full second of the 0 to 60 time.
Re: K&N/greenstuff - John Slaughter
Andy

Assuming that air resistance is proportional to the square of the speed, that top speed increase equates to over 10%!

Now, K & N filters may be good, but 10%+ sounds a bit too good to be true, unless there's something seriously wrong with the Corvette original equipment. What do you think?

regards

John
Absolutely yes ,Please note I said the full monty which also includes a new maf.The newish LSI engine in the corvette and camaro Z28 are both capable of over 200mph with minimum of tuning .The bi turbo by Linkenfelter has over 600bhp in standard trim and can be ordered upto 1000bhp and will far out perform a present gran prix car on ovals .My corvette 1991 circa used only to goto shows has the LTI motor full K&N treatment Edelbrock cam, crank, head and pistons plus many more bits and pieces (no supercharger as yet)will leave porches for dead in a straight line but not round corners. It also has a nitrous bottle if you really want to burn rubber.Just about every car on the road has a air intake system that is compromise on cost ,noise etc. The more cold air you can ram down that intake the better the performance you will get.
Now that's plausible. The original filters may be intended to muffle the inlet noise to comply with noise & emission legislation. The K&N's are intended solely to minimize resistance.
Re: K&N/greenstuff - ROBIN
Just a shame then,since its so simple,that nobody has tought to test these things on a rolling road or dynamometer.
But a filter optimised for flow should be OK in the Hdi,as theres an awful lot of induction piping to keep it quiet.