What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Car - Run in period. Ford Mondeo. - sakram10
I\'m about to take delivery of my new Mondeo ST220 and wondered if it will require a \"run in\" period or are modern cars already \"run in\"?

Shakeel
New Car - Run in period. Ford Mondeo. - Dynamic Dave
Red menu bar to the left.

Honest John's FAQ's.

What is your advice about running in a new car and changing the oil for the first time?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=12

New Car - Run in period. Ford Mondeo. - cheddar
Take it easy over first 500 miles or so, dont rev hard though better to let it rev a bit in a low gear than to labour in a high gear, the latter is the worst thing for a new engine. Then slowly let it stretch it's legs for another 1000 miles or so after which all should be fine.

Re oil change, two schools of thought: 1/Change after 500 to 1000 miles to remove initial running in deposits. 2/ Leave original oil in for at least 5000 miles or so to help bedding in. I guess take Ford dealers advice, where as Ford are worried about fleet service costs so will not recomend an oilchange until I guess 12.5k, the dealer will happily charge you for an extra change though should not do so if they think it is completely unnecessary, i.e. they should be fairly objective.

Otherwise oil change every 6 months whatever the mileage.