What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
superchips - john
Has anyone any reliablity data following a vw tdi chip upgrade, ie the 110 to 130 hp.
Re: superchips - Marcus
the 110 hp engine is surely powerful enough ? what do you want t do ?
Re: superchips - ROBIN
In a Galaxy?
surely not!
And probably not at 150 bhp either.
unless you delight in being a traffic hazard you're looking at about 100 BHP per metric tonne these days.
Which brings me back to my earlier point about vehicles being massively overweight .
Often by about 50%....just check the figures in the back oy Autocar before you disagree...
And as a more pertinent reply may I say that the VW engine,whilst being very far from the smoothest available,seems to be one of the most robust.
And in the colossaly overweight VAG products in which it appears I have to say that 130BHP should just about enable you to keep up with normal traffic.......in a Polo.
Re: superchips - Andy Bairsto
A red "I" passat will do 135mph and 0-60 in 11secs is that slow.
Why should it?
Do you imagine that the turbine stops when the wastegate is opened?
Re: superchips - honest john
The VAG TDI 90 and TDI 110 are far from bulletproof. The EGR system has a tendency to clog up. And unless you change injectors at around the 80k mark they may seem okay but they give a slightly uneven spray pattern that washes out the bores on one side tending to make them slightly oval by 150k miles or so, necessitating a rebore to cure engine oil consumption problems. Note that once a diesel starts running on its own engine oil the only way to stop it is to brutally stall it.

HJ
Re: superchips - john
Thank you for your reply, the response in general was as expected, don't think I will bother.
Any body have some real world fuel consumption figs?
Its like the old mystery cambelt change period,which is like the brake fluid and coolant change periods before it,if you leave them out you get apparently low servicing costs to boast about.
Just as long as they hang on for 3 years or 60000 miles!
I'm sure what you say is right ,so the nearest service to 80k should have a change injectors instruction.
Should these hidden service items appear in the weekly column perhaps?
EGR systems.
I forgot to mention them earlier.
You disconnect them.
Until a bit before your MOT test.
They are as big a nonsense as a catalyst.
Soot filters make more sense,all buses and HGv's should have them,now.
All you do is change one pollutant for another,you cant win,and at the normal concentrations found in mormal places it doesnt matter.
In big cities and places with weird climates then the electric taxi is entirely adequate.You can always let the trucks unload at night until a better option evolves,Hydrogen may be good,but what pollution is produced in its production I wonder.
Yes, my old boss blew the engine to kingdom come on autobahn 4 on his passat.The turbos and engines do not like reving so high.Why on earth do you want to chip a diesel in a land with a 70mph limit,if you want more power buy abigger motor
Re: superchips - Ben Chapman
If you use more boost pressure the turbo will wear out more quickly in the same way as an engine driven at very high engine speeds wears out quicker than one driven moderately. If power increases are so easily achieved, why didnt VW originally release the engine in 130bhp form?

Ben
Exactly Ben
Re: superchips - Andy P
have you asked your insurance company how much more they want out of you if you decide to go ahead?

Andy