Air Con trouble - Daewoo Lanos - catalyst
Car:- Daewoo Lanos 1.6 SX 1998

The gas (all of 8 litres) has evaporated from my air con system in less than 2 months (on a 5-yr old car). A reputable local garage/dealer partially recharged it and did a dye test and asked me to bring it back to them 2 weeks later. In the meantime,the air con worked but again it emptied after a month (so there\'s definitely a leak somewhere) but they tell me that the dye is fine and theat there\'s no trace of a leak.
Given the low value of the car, I am not sure it\'s worth asking them to investigate further but nonetheless I\'d like to know, it might just be worth it if it\'s less than £200 to fix it.
What do you think the problem might be ?
(I\'ll add that there is a loud metallic noise coming out of the system when there\'s gas in it on switching it on)
Thanks for yr help
Air Con trouble - Daewoo Lanos - Claude
The leak could be anywhere thats not very visible but, as a starter, I would pick the condenser which is a vulnerable item (to stones and such like and also corrosion) and is rather buried behind the radiator. I dont know about your car but it shouldnt take very long to get it out for inspection. If you have that kind of opening up done then I would definitely replace the receiver/dryer. Apart from a leak it is moisture in the system which causes all the real problems and the dryer doesnt cost very much, say around £50.
Air Con trouble - Daewoo Lanos - THe Growler
If you're getting noise could be the clutch that kickstarts your compressor or the compressor itself. I don't know Daewoo's but I have had this on a couple of American cars I've owned. That could be biggish bucks.
Thanks the Growler. Yes, when there's gas in the system (i.e when the garage recharged it a few months ago) it was working (for 2 months) but on switching it on there was this fairly loud metallic noise coming out, similar I suppose to metallic blades vibrating. So you reckon it could be costly ? How much ?
Air Con trouble - Daewoo Lanos - Dave N
The usual leak areas on these is the bottom of the condensor, and the front seal on the compressor. Either way, the compressor is shot, so you'll need either a compressor and maybe the system flushing and a new drier, or a compressor, flush, drier and condensor.

I would think your chances of getting it repaired for £200 are nil. Condensors are about £220 for the part, compressor about £350, drier £50.
Thanks Dave N, it answers my question, I suspected it was going to cost hundreds, it that case I won't bother having it fixed. But do all systems fail after 6/7 yrs ?
"But do all systems fail after 6/7 yrs ?"

A lot certainly do. In fact, many don't even make it through the warranty period. If it's lasted this long, then the designers haven't done their job properly, as they should design it to last just over 3 years.
Dave N, are you serious, do you rally believe they are designed to last 5 or 6 yrs ? (mine failed after 5 yrs) I had a Camaro a few yrs ago, it lasted 9 yrs on it.
Sort of serious. I mean, if you're a manufacturer (of any product), then you have to make the lowest quality product you can get away with, and sell it for the most money you can. So the logical conclusion is to make it last until the warranty runs out, and not a minute longer. Thereafter you can make money on spares.

And we're all so gullible, we just go and buy a new one and complain to our mates about it. After all, how else can you explain why manufacturers can offer poor product and stay in business? Just look at all those cars at the bottom of the various reliability tests, people still keep buying them.
Air Con trouble - Daewoo Lanos - Aprilia
Having worked for one or two manufacturers in my time (in various design departments) I can confirm that this is more-or-less the situation.
The big question everyone always asks is 'will it make it through warranty'. What happens after that is not normally a consideration.
Air Con trouble - Daewoo Lanos - Hawesy1982
The same idea is used all over the manufacturing industry - especially in white goods such as vacuum cleaners, washing machines and the like.

If they sold you one that lasted 18months you'd complain, possibly get it fixed for free, and not buy another by the same manufacturer = Manufacturer loses out

If they sold you one that lasted 20 years and never failed once, you'd probably go back to the same manufacturer, but only after 20 years = Manufacturer loses out

If they sold you one that lasted 5-6 years, you'd shrug your shoulders and think "well it didnt do great, but it lasted a while, and i fancy that new version anyway", and maybe go back to the same manufacturer = Manufacturer wins

It's all about how soon they can let it break without adversely affecting their sales/reputation