Antifreeze/Herald heating - Cambridge
Working on my Herald last night - trying to trace a coolant leak near the heater area.

Needed to test if a liquid was coolant or rainwater. I did so by tasting it. Coolant (water+antifreeze) tastes horrible so this method is efficient.

My question - how dangerous is this? I realise antifreeze is said to be poisonous - but is the odd drop OK? Don't winemakers add it to boost the alcohol levels?

PS

Anyone know how the heater valve attaches to the heat exchanger on a 1969 Triumph Herald? The heater is made by Smiths. It looks like they just push together with lots of goo. Can this be correct?

Antifreeze/Herald heating - Cliff Pope
I must admit I have always done this test just by tasting a drop, and I am still alive. I can't believe it can be that poisonous - and the amount you need is only a minute part of a drop anyway - just a kind of vague dampness is enough.

I don't think the wine growers are meant to be adding ethylene glycol - isn't that one of those rackets that got exposed some time ago?
Antifreeze/Herald heating - Wilco {P}
Don't swallow it and with the very small amounts you ought to be OK.

Off topic-ish in response to the wine query - I think it was some Austrian winemakers who were caught in the mid 1980's. Allegedy one of them tried to claim a tax deduction on the antifreeze which brought the whole thing into the open air.
Antifreeze/Herald heating - MarkSmith
Hi,

Regarding the heater valve, a friend (who had a selection of Heralds) says

"A bit of pipe and a couple of hose clips from memory."

-Mark
Antifreeze/Herald heating - David Horn
If (and this is a fairly big IF) I remember my A Level biology correctly; if you drink antifreeze you should immediately drink ethanol. This will bind to the active sites of the enzymes antifreeze affects (can't remember the name of it right now) and inhibit them, preventing damage.

I believe this is still the common cure in hospitals today.