What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia e-Niro 4+ 21 reg - 12v auxiliary battery not charging - John Bradford

If the 12 v battery goes flat, then that's catastrophic.

1. What is the point of this battery considering there's a much larger battery already in the car

2. How do I know if it's going flat (apart from looking on the Kia app)

3. Since the problem is indeed catastrophic - can't unlock, can't start, need the AA - why don't Kia make the issue obvious

4. WHY does the battery go flat - why isn't there an alternator to keep it topped up

5. When it's going flat, how do I recharge it.

PS, it's a lovely car

PPS the charging flap wouldn't open, but it was fixed under warranty

Kia e-Niro 4+ 21 reg - 12v auxiliary battery not charging - elekie&a/c doctor
You need a 12 volt battery to start up the auxiliary circuits before the alternator takes over . Unfortunately these tend to be low capacity batteries and often go flat . Toyota have had big issues with them. They can be charged with regular 12 volt charging unit . Just make sure it’s suitable for a modern type battery.
Kia e-Niro 4+ 21 reg - 12v auxiliary battery not charging - skidpan

In Kia's the 12 volt battery is part of the traction battery and obviously not simple to replace or even access.

At least in Toyota Yaris even though the 12 volt battery is under the back seat Toyota provide a live "terminal" for jump starting and charging under the bonnet and its easy to get at.

Seen to remember Kia have a button under the dash to transfer power to the 12 volt battery in an emergency. Probably because of the unconventional setup.

Kia e-Niro 4+ 21 reg - 12v auxiliary battery not charging - mcb100
I was under the bonnet of the new EV3 a couple of weeks ago, and that has a separate, conventional 12V battery.
I think it’s the PHEV’s that have the integral 12V battery.