What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A recent car similar to the Ford Galaxy? - DaveCloud

I'm driving a 2018 Ford Galaxy, always with the backmost seats down.
Before that, I had a late-noughties SEAT Alhambra, from which I had the backmost seats completely out.
What car in recent or current production would be a suitable replacement?

Criteria:
* high sitting position
* similar amount of space at the back, or more
* comfy interior
* manual transmission
* runs on diesel or petrol
* driver sits on the right

Would be nice:
* both front seats able to swivel through 180 degrees
* three equally wide seats in second row

Doesn't matter:
* whether it looks ugly from the outside

TIA for recommendations,

Dave

A recent car similar to the Ford Galaxy? - DaveCloud

I should have added that it doesn't matter whether it has 5 or 7 seats, because I'd always have the 6th and 7th down or out.,

A recent car similar to the Ford Galaxy? - badbusdriver

Going purely by the thread title, a 2023 Galaxy (I believe that is when they were pensioned off) would surely be the obvious choice (assuming a manual gearbox was offered right to the end)?

But my next question is why the change?. Your Galaxy is still (IMO) a young (i.e, recent) car, so unless there are problems with it, I'm not sure why you want to change?. Similar cars to the Galaxy (large MPV's) are not very common these days, most have been killed off due to the preference of most buyers bing a less practical and spacious (but physically bigger) SUV, so finding a similar but younger car isn't going to be that easy.

Another thing that would be handy is to know your budget?

A recent car similar to the Ford Galaxy? - Ian_SW

Cars like the Galaxy have been mostly superseded by the big SUVs and crossovers.

A Skoda Kodiaq, Hyundai Santa Fe, Peugeot 5008 (and others) all offer something similar to the Galaxy did, albeit whilst looking more like an off reader.

If you're not particularly bothered about looks, and are OK with something which is a bit van-like to drive, the other options are the van derived MPVs. The boot in the Vauxhall Combo and Citroen Berlingo are pretty big in 5 seat mode. If that's not enough space, stepping up to the next size up VW Multivan, Peugeot Traveller, Ford Torneo Custom etc will surpass anything else for load capacity without actually buying a panel van.

Edited by Ian_SW on 23/09/2024 at 17:09

A recent car similar to the Ford Galaxy? - pd

Out of interest why the insistence on manual?

If you usually buy relatively new cars you will have to switch to auto sooner or later I suspect simply because hardly any manufacturers are making anything much above super minis (and even those are diminishing) with manual gearboxes anymore.

A recent car similar to the Ford Galaxy? - mcb100
Bit left field - Hyundai i800.
Bit left field - Hyundai i800.

Its a big old bus the i800, and is commonly available with a manual gearbox.

Third row seats don't fold and are not easy to remove though, you'd need to actually unbolt them. Also, the third row is a three seat bench and would have to be lifted out (and stored) as one (very heavy) piece. Of course you may not need to remove it, after all there is more luggage space in the i800 with all seats in place than a Galaxy in five seat mode!

A recent car similar to the Ford Galaxy? - Heidfirst

possibly a Dacia Jogger/Duster or the forthcoming Bigster?

Ssangyong Tivoli XLV?

A recent car similar to the Ford Galaxy? - klu01dbt

Dacia Jogger

Vauxhall Combo or similar?