What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - RachJones
Hi there,

I have absolutely no idea about cars, hence why I wanted to ask your advice.

I own a 2007 Ford Ka. 73,000 miles. It recently failed the MOT for the following reasons:

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Fuel pipe leaking excessively or a risk of fire filter pipe area (6.1.3 (b) (ii))
Repair immediately (major defects):
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

The garage quoted £200 plus labour to fix the suspension issue. They said that they'd need a technician and put it up a ramp to quote on the fuel leak issue. I had to take my car away though as I was going abroad the next day for 3 weeks. MOT has expired since.

Now I'm back and have a bit of a dilemma. I long wanted to get another second hand car, mainly due to persistent dashboard light issues but also last winter the garage advised that the floor was soaked on driver's side and they presumed it was rainwater getting in but would need investigation that I never bothered with. I work from home and barely do 2,000 a year.

My budget is £2k for a new second hand car and realised that might be better to stick with my Ford Ka - the devil I know than taking a gamble on a cheap car.

What do you think?

Thanks ever so much in advance,

Rachel
Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - Adampr

All things being equal, I'd say keep it. The fuel hose won't be much. The dash lights are a concern though. Do you mean warning lights for things that need fixing or they're just randomly coming on? What kills most cars is either rus or electrics. If you're getting persistent random lights, you may have a developing electrical problem. As you say it keeps happening, though, it may not be terminal yet.

Thank you. Regarding the dashboard lights issue - all lights keep cutting off. Had the cluster replaced previously but lights went off shortly after that. Then I got the bulbs replaced a couple of times and the last time the garage said the cluster needs replacing again as the ribbon holding all connection is loose and can't just replace that so the whole thing will need replacing. Sorry, I might've described this horribly from memory but all in all I can't drive at night because there are no lights on the dashboard and can't even see my speed!

Edited by RachJones on 09/09/2024 at 00:42

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - elekie&a/c doctor
When you say “all lights “ do you mean exterior lights as well?
Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - skidpan

Fuel pipe leaking excessively or a risk of fire filter pipe area (6.1.3 (b) (ii))

The filler pipe area on KA's (and other Fords of this era) is well known for corrosion and the repair is not a simple pipe replacement. Sometimes it can require a new rear wing.

Before you do anything get this properly assessed as it can be expensive and possibly make a repair uneconomic.

I feel like I need to know re the cost of the fuel leak issue to make a judgement call, you're right. Now the MOT is expired and it has a serious and a major on it, can I take it to a garage to get a quote but take the car away if it's too expensive to get it fixed?
Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - Andrew-T
Now the MOT is expired and it has a serious and a major on it, can I take it to a garage to get a quote but take the car away if it's too expensive to get it fixed?

It is legal to take a car on the road for a booked MoT test.

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - Brit_in_Germany

>It is legal to take a car on the road for a booked MoT test.

While that is generally true, if the previous test identified a dangerous fault the car is not in a roadworthy condition and cannot be driven until the fault has been rectified.

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - Andrew-T

<< The filler pipe area on KA's (and other Fords of this era) ... >>

Skidpan, the OP wrote 'filter pipe' - a rather different problem !

<< The filler pipe area on KA's (and other Fords of this era) ... >>

Skidpan, the OP wrote 'filter pipe' - a rather different problem !

I thought (and still do) that the OP mistyped filler as filter, this is a well known issue and car killer.

see this older thread www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/126918/ford-ka-200...p-

When you say “all lights “ do you mean exterior lights as well?

Hiya, no just the inside lights on the dashboard
Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - elekie&a/c doctor
The dash light shouldn’t be too difficult to fix, but the fuel leak needs investigation. It could be an expensive repair. You can drive it away . You have 10 working days to get it fixed in order to present it for a re test . After this time , it will need a full test again.
Gov website says:

You can take your vehicle away if: your current MOT is still valid. no 'dangerous' problems were listed in the MOT.

Neither is true in my case. I'm just worried I will take my car there and it will cost an arm and a leg to get it fixed and I will have to pay.

Does anyone have an estimate how much it could cost worst case?
Gov website says: You can take your vehicle away if: your current MOT is still valid. no 'dangerous' problems were listed in the MOT. Neither is true in my case. I'm just worried I will take my car there and it will cost an arm and a leg to get it fixed and I will have to pay. Does anyone have an estimate how much it could cost worst case?

You cannot drive your car away, it has failed on a dangerous defect. If you drive it and get stopped by the Police the offence will be a court matter.

If you want to use a different garage (or take the car home) you need to get a company with a flat bed transported to move the car

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - Xileno

These were rot boxes, a person at work bought one new in 2002, it was rotten as a pear within about six years. Unless Ford improved the rust prevention, I'm amazed it's still on the road.

Were there any advisories on the report? An advisory this year sometimes can be next year's failure.

Normally I would say sc*** it but £2000 is loose change these days with the used prices being so daft. You could well find a car that doesn't have the problems yours does but a whole list of other issues.

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - galileo

Working from home and only doing 2000 miles a year you might consider using taxis/Uber for short runs (e.g.supermarket shopping) and hiring a car for longer trips/holidays.

You'd get a couple of hundred for sc*** and instead of spending £ 2000 al at once it would be spread over a year.

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - John F

These were rot boxes, ........ Unless Ford improved the rust prevention, I'm amazed it's still on the road.

Were there any advisories on the report? An advisory this year sometimes can be next year's failure.

My thoughts entirely!

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - Big John
What do you think?

Scap the Ka - filler pipe issue will probably involve lots of welding (much more than the car is worth) and with a soaked floor that's a serious issue that will cause electrical issues and has probably rotted the floor etc. I'm afraid that age of Ka is well known for rust especially around the fuel filler - usually terminal unless you have deep pockets. Get the sc*** money and put that towards another car.

Do not drive!!

Unfortunately £2k doesn't buy you much of any car these days - my cheapy suggestion would be a 1.25 Fiesta or a 1.4/1.6 Fusion . With anything especially at this price range condition is all and rust is still a thing!

Edited by Big John on 11/09/2024 at 22:45

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - Repair or sc***? - edlithgow

First hit was

www.webuyanycar.com/guides/car-ownership/driving-w.../

They clearly have a vested interest in people sc***ping cars, but nevertheless this probably accurately reflects the legal postion (My italics/bolding)

"If you are caught driving without a valid MOT, you can expect to receive a £100 Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) - although you could be fined up to £1,000.

The maximum fine is increased to £2,500 if your vehicle is classified as ‘dangerous’ or has serious faults. In addition, you may receive three penalty points on your driving licence."

So thats your risk

Since, in the UK, I usually only got one MOT every 2 years, in the relatively low-surveillance tax-disk days, I'm not personally hugely averse to legal transgressions of this nature, but surveillance is MUCH more pervasive/oppressive these days

The moral position would depend on the extent to which you were endangering others. The main risk seems to be fire, so probably not much.

IF you were able to do the work yourself I'd risk the above to go for an MOT after doing a repair.

Since this probably isn't the case, I'd guess the chance of an economic repair isn't high enough to justify the risk.

Edited by edlithgow on 17/09/2024 at 09:28