What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz CLS - EURO 7 emissions requirements - emmaster

Hi everyone, new poster here, Ive been doing some research on the new euro 7 emission requirements and it appears that the EU published back in April that the new standards will be implemented in 30 months time for "new types of cars" and in 42 months time for "new cars". I have attached the link below. My question is what will this mean for all of our existing low emission zones like ULEZ? I was thinking of buying a used diesel as I do well over 20k miles annually but am concerned that as soon as euro 7 comes out ill have to pay to take it into cities like London and Birmingham. I usually keep my cars for a long time when I upgrade so am not too keen to have to change again in a few years time. I guess my question really boils down to how likely do you all think it is for ULEZ to upgraded to euro 7 and is it wise for me to buy a used diesel at this time? Your advice is greatly appreciated

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2024/04/12/euro-7-council-adopts-new-rules-on-emission-limits-for-cars-vans-and-trucks/

Mercedes-Benz CLS - EURO 7 emissions requirements - DavidGlos
Unfortunately, I think this is a bit ‘how long is a piece of string?’ My gut feel (and it is only that…) is that Euro 6 diesel will remain acceptable within ULEZ zones for the foreseeable future. There must be countless tradespeople out there who’ve been ‘forced’ to buy a Euro 6 diesel van to replace earlier iterations and there’d be an outcry if the goalposts were moved to Euro 7 in early course.

Having said that, government (national and local) have to plug some sizeable budget gaps and there’s always the potential for further tax grabs where they can, especially if their fiscal policies can masquerade as environmentally focused.
Mercedes-Benz CLS - EURO 7 emissions requirements - Warning

Euro 7 only gets a 2 line mention.

My feeling is they need to work on shipping and aviation. High sulphur content etc...

Chief Medical Officer’s Annual Report 2022 Air pollution

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/639aeb81e90...f