What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - japdriver
I am in the nice position of looking forward to buying a virtually new premium hatchback. Shortlist is Merc A class, BMW 1 series and Audi A3. Are there any I’ve missed?
Want an auto, preferably diesel and nice quality interior. Not a fan of small petrol engines so ruling out 1.3 and 1.5 engines in Mercedes and BMW. Audi 1.5 seems a better prospect as a petrol so not ruled out.
Just test driven the A200d on a 73 plate - loved it. Interior was fab, love the ambient lighting and general quality of it. Felt quality. Liked also that bright stainless steel inserts brightened up the dark interior nicely. Why do cars have to be coal mine black inside?! Still want to test Audi and BMW before making a decision. Budget is £28k. Any thoughts, tips or ideas welcomed.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - Adampr

It's worth looking at a VW Golf, Skoda Octavia and Seat Leon as they're all the same as the A3 and probably not as low rent as you think.

A Cupra Leon will have a more blingy interior along the lines of the Merc if you like that.

A Mazda 3 has a very classy interior, particularly in the cream leather. That would avoid the black hole effect you want to avoid.

Thanks for the ideas.
I’ll rule out the Mazda though - gutless non turbo engines are so flat to drive. Really don’t like the revvy nature but no real go. I used to have a cx3 and moved it on because the engine was so flat.
Personal preference I guess.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - Engineer Andy
Thanks for the ideas. I’ll rule out the Mazda though - gutless non turbo engines are so flat to drive. Really don’t like the revvy nature but no real go. I used to have a cx3 and moved it on because the engine was so flat. Personal preference I guess.

A shame Mazda didn't bother to import the current Mazda3 in 2 litre turbo form - essentially the same basic engine as the petrol CX-3, but more than twice the power of the standard SA-G unit. And it's a TC auto.

Only in North America, Down Under (I believe) and parts of Asia.

Essentially a more modern, refined version version of its former MPS model.

I'd personally go for the BMW if you want an auto - I still don't trust VAG DSG boxes, especially second hand ones where you don't know how they were treated (driven - hopefully a car not that old will have a FSH) and how much life the 'auto' box's clutch pack, etc has in it.

Similarly, unless you do more than 20,000 (maybe even 25,000) miles per year or regularly tow heavy loads, then a diesel isn't really warranted for such cars.

They are also likely to be those that get the swingeing ULEZ-type bans / usage penalties - going into big cities like London needs a diesel car roughly 10 years younger [EU6 / ~2016] than a petrol one [EU4 / early 2000s], and with the current lot in government, those type of arrangements are highly likely to be significantly expanded / uprated over the next few years.

Many modern petrol-engined cars are very fuel efficient for their performance, so I'd personally go for one of them. Additionally, they will likely command a premium (as is increasingly the case now) as diesel falls out of favour, not just because of the above.

I'd probably go for the BMW 1-series. I'd avoid the upper models, including the 4WD and MSport versions due to the overly firm ride and higher likelihood / financial consequences of those ultra low profile tyres and big alloys needing replacement because of punctures, kerbing etc. I'd personally go for the 118i 1.5 Sport, and then you could get something almost new. Better reliability than the other two makes, in my view, including their own dual clutch auto box.

Admittedly, the saloon versions of all the cars you're looking at are, IMHO, far more stylish than the hatch versions (the BMW 1-seires is much better on that front than the car before).

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - badbusdriver

I wouldn't have any of them TBH, but maybe that's just me!

But ignoring my own feelings/opinions on so called premium brands, i also wouldn't have a diesel unless mileage and journey types were appropriate for keeping modern diesel in good health (12k+ miles per annum, regular longer runs to keep DPF for clogging up). I also wouldn't be very keen on something with a DCT automatic transmission.

My current 2 series bmw is an 8 speed torque converter auto. Has the 1 series gone to dct? Didn’t know that. I just don’t like revvy petrol engines in a premium car. Also never seem as economical as they’re supposed to be. Particularly the 1.5 BMW engine - struggles to even achieve 40mpg.
I commute 18 miles each way - just like the torquey nature of a diesel - seem to suit an auto box nicely.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - badbusdriver
My current 2 series bmw is an 8 speed torque converter auto. Has the 1 series gone to dct?

Not sure about the 1 Series, but I think some versions are DCT and some T/C. Pretty sure all A3's are DCT and I think the A Class will be too.

I just don’t like revvy petrol engines in a premium car.

Petrol versions of these cars will all be turbo and therefore not "revvy" (unless you choose to drive them that way). Peak torque will be available at no more than 2k rpm and possibly as low as 1.5k rpm.

Also never seem as economical as they’re supposed to be.

No car is as efficient as it is supposed to be (by which i mean manufacturers claims), but plenty of forum members have had cars (ranging in size up to the Skoda Superb) with the VAG 1.4TSI engine and got very good economy if driven sensibly.

With a few exceptions (mostly small Japanese sports cars), the 'revvy' thing seems to be a BMW characteristic. Obviously, some people like it, but I find it not at all relaxing.

Given your short commute and desire for an auto with torque, the obvious choice would be something electric. Nothing else will get close for torque and refinement. You could also go halfway and get a PHEV, which may just about manage your commute on electric but will also do longer journeys. Something a Golf GTE or Cupra Leon.

All electric cars are out as I can’t charge at home.

I did look at a Toyota Corolla and a kia Niro self charging hybrid but both were soulless inside, acres of black plastic, functional for sure but in no way a nice place to be. I’d never get up in the morning and look forward to driving it, if that makes sense?

I’m looking for ambient lighting, quality feel interior, hatchback sized don’t really want or need an suv style. Yes blingy if that’s the right word I must be getting shallow in my old age !!

The Lexus suggestion above I’ll have a look at, not thought of one. Ds4 I’ll pass on, an auto French car with the pure tech engine sounds a no goer for me!

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - Catfood

If you call yourself "JapDriver", I think you may like 2 litre Corolla GR which I think fit nicely in your budget. Yes, it does look soulless inside with black interior(dashboard) but I personally prefer it than a German stainless wall mounted urinal looking dashboard.....

My current 2 series bmw is an 8 speed torque converter auto. Has the 1 series gone to dct?

Not sure about the 1 Series, but I think some versions are DCT and some T/C. Pretty sure all A3's are DCT and I think the A Class will be too.

I just don’t like revvy petrol engines in a premium car.

Petrol versions of these cars will all be turbo and therefore not "revvy" (unless you choose to drive them that way). Peak torque will be available at no more than 2k rpm and possibly as low as 1.5k rpm.

Also never seem as economical as they’re supposed to be.

No car is as efficient as it is supposed to be (by which i mean manufacturers claims), but plenty of forum members have had cars (ranging in size up to the Skoda Superb) with the VAG 1.4TSI engine and got very good economy if driven sensibly.

The 2 litre 1 Series (petrol and diesel) are TC Autos, the smaller engines are DCT. I think all A Class and A3s are DCT.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - Ian_SW

There are a couple of other "premium" options to look at.

For something a bit more interesting inside, you could have a look at a DS4.

Also a Lexus UX might just come in budget as a new pre-registered car.

Hi all, checked out the Lexus, it doesn’t have any ambient lighting at all. That is non negotiable for me!

looks just like a Corolla hybrid only as an suv - very blue dash, no colour choices, no ambient colours at all…

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - mcb100
Go and try a Polestar 2.
Spectacular value lightly used, all the effortless power and refinement you need.
Android Automotive gives you a Google based operating system for the infotainment, and if you find a car with Plus pack it’ll have a full length pan roof, along with other nice to haves.
Or have a look at the interior of a Renault Austral - as ‘premium’ as a premium brand.

Nice idea, I don’t have the ability to charge an electric car at home unfortunately.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - Steveieb

Surprised you let a Mazda CX 3 go ?

It would be my number one choice in that lovely red metallic and auto . Total reliability , great build quality !

It would be my number one choice in that lovely red metallic and auto . Total reliability , great build quality !

It was a perfectly fine car Steve. Nice spec, comfy, decent economy, just umm dull to drive really. Mazda use their clever tech on 2 litre non turbo engines to get very decent economy, but it leaves the engines feeling flat and lethargic. Even the 180bhp cx30 auto felt sluggish. Mazdas are very good reliable cars though, no question. Just a bit underwhelming and dated inside.

Mazda soul red is possibly the most beautiful colour paint on any car however - truly stunning on a sunny day, catching the light.

Edited by japdriver on 22/08/2024 at 10:57

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - 72 dudes

I'd probably go with the Mercedes if you really must have diesel

Audi A3 in second place, but with the excellent 1.5 litre TFSi. Pulls like a train and very efficient with just a little effort.

Lexus UX definitely worth a look too, as above.

Have a look at the DS4 interior before dismissing it out of hand. High quality materials, well put together and very flash!

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - skidpan

Audi A3 in second place, but with the excellent 1.5 litre TFSi. Pulls like a train and very efficient with just a little effort.

No need for any effort, mpg is excellent driving normally. We had a Seat Leon and that averaged 45 mpg and would do about 50 mpg on a long run. That was followed by a Skoda Superb and despite being much bigger and heavier it averaged about 46 mpg overall and would do about 52 mpg on a long run (all calculated figures).

The Superb is definitely "premium quality" but the Leon was surprisingly good in the front, in the rear the plastics in the Superb are way better. The Leon was every bit as good as the Mk 7 Golf we looked at.

I suppose a Mini Countryman is a possibility. It's essentially the same as a 1 Series underneath. Perhaps not for everyone, but the interior is a lot more characterful than most.

Thank you for your thoughts.

To be honest I like Skoda as a brand, defo punching above their weight.

I really want ( not negotiable) cool ambient lighting, small hatchback footprint, perfect phone connectivity, basically a cool place to be driving from. No skoda can match the Merc ambience, let alone price, especially Skoda’s bigger Superb, which is nice but lacking ambience, coolness, and price equivalence with a 2024 diesel ‘A’ class diesel.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - Engineer Andy

It was a perfectly fine car Steve. Nice spec, comfy, decent economy, just umm dull to drive really. Mazda use their clever tech on 2 litre non turbo engines to get very decent economy, but it leaves the engines feeling flat and lethargic. Even the 180bhp cx30 auto felt sluggish. Mazdas are very good reliable cars though, no question. Just a bit underwhelming and dated inside.

I suppose its what you like. Not sure I agree about the current Mazda (the CX-3 was the previous gen one, and was still a bit 'hard plastic' around the dash area) interiors though - in my view, along with most models exterior, they are amongst the most stylish cars out there today, and, to me, better styled than any of the current German offerings.

I actually prefer the previous-gen Audis on that score, especially the A3 (particularly the saloon version overall - a lovely looking car).

Mazda soul red is possibly the most beautiful colour paint on any car however - truly stunning on a sunny day, catching the light.

Can't argue with that point though. As I understand it, the big downside is if you get stone chip damage/scratches and the paint needs a non-insurance repair - very expensive due to the (supposedly) rare / difficult to produce paint.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - maz64
Not a fan of small petrol engines so ruling out 1.3 and 1.5 engines in Mercedes and BMW.

The old BMW 118 and new 120 are both 3 cyl 1.5 turbos (the 120 has electric assistance and 170hp). If you want a 4 cyl 2.0 then you have to go up to the old 128ti, which is more of a posh hot hatch.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - skidpan

No skoda can match the Merc ambience, let alone price

Don't know about "ambience" since its a personal thing I guess but as for price I agree that Skoda is way less money for not much less car.

All you are paying for with a Merc is the badge, cars like the A series have quite a bit of Renault content.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class and similar - Premium hatchbacks…. - veloceman
Highly recommend BMW 128ti.
Hot hatch that is better than a golf Gti and better made too.
Decent performance and 40mpg.
Stick with 18” wheels not 19”. Certainly swap out the original Bridgestone Potenzas with Michelins or Conti 7s.
(Ride is terrible on 19”s).
Cupra Leon and Golf have the awful infotainment system that is both slow and unreliable.
Well after testing different makes and models I finally chose one!
Audi A3 1.5 was decent, nice quality, just didn’t have any wow factor about it.
BMW 1 series I liked. Tried 1.5 petrol and it was pretty sluggish and revvy. Just as I remember a 2 series I tried with that engine a couple of years ago. 120d was much more like it. Quiet, quick, nice interior. Very nearly got myself a 23 plate one.
Merc A class, 200d was very nice, quiet and relaxed drive, but I also tried the 180 and 200 petrols - which use the 1.3 merc/Renault/Nissan derived engine. 180h was pretty sluggish - fine if just gently wafting along but very loud and intrusive if you wanted to overtake or accelerate up to motorway speeds. 200h with 175 bhp felt stronger, and noticeably nippier, but still noisy when pushed a bit. Was pretty efficient though - I reckon 45mpg would be achievable if driven reasonably sensibly. Eventually the small engine large car concerns of longevity niggled me enough to put me off.
Settled on a CLA 220d - 187 bhp, quiet 8 speed auto, 9000 miles, main dealer in top spec. 1 year old and saving £15k off of list. I look forward to picking it up next week.

Interestingly A class hatchbacks were over £4K off new list price - for a brand new model on the road an A200h sport exec. was £29k. I was tempted. Very tempted.
That’s less than a Ford focus!

Edited by japdriver on 28/08/2024 at 16:48