What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rover Diesel Engines - johnat23
Does anybody know what make of 2lt. DTI diesel will be in an S registered Rover 620 SDI? The top of the engine is heavily shrouded which makes identifing the engine manufacturer difficult. Handbook says Rover, but I suspect it is originated by either Peugeot, Citroen or Perkins. Any ideas?
Rover Diesel Engines - Miquel
As far as I know Rover L series diesels were used in all 600s, which is which I always though was one of their own. Peugeots were used in some 218/418 I think.
Rover Diesel Engines - 3500S
Yeah, Rover L series, if I remember right, not a bad engine, durable but not uber-economical, it's not up to the modern common rail standards but still not bad and sold quite a few in Europe. They only used Perkins for the Maestro and Montego which proved to be the most durable part of the car.
Rover Diesel Engines - Dizzy {P}
They only used Perkins for the Maestro and Montego ...>>

Confirmed. As I understand it, the Perkins Prima engine wouldn't fit in the 200/400 engine bay so they were fitted with Peugeots.
Rover Diesel Engines - king arthur
>> They only used Perkins for the Maestro and Montego ...>>
Confirmed. As I understand it, the Perkins Prima engine wouldn't
fit in the 200/400 engine bay so they were fitted with
Peugeots.

I didn't know the reason why they used the Peugeot engine in the 200/400, but I wouldn't have thought the L-series was any bigger than the M16/T-series petrol 2.0, which they did put in?
Rover Diesel Engines - king arthur
Yeah, Rover L series, if I remember right, not a bad
engine, durable but not uber-economical, it's not up to the modern
common rail standards but still not bad and sold quite a
few in Europe. They only used Perkins for the Maestro
and Montego which proved to be the most durable part of
the car.

On the contrary, the Rover L-series is said to be highly economical. It is a development of the Perkins Prima as used in the Maestro/Montego, which itself was developed as a dieselised version of the O-series petrol.
Rover Diesel Engines - Dizzy {P}
The Perkins Prima was, in a sense, a dieselised O-series. However the engine had to be completely redesigned to give it the strength required as a diesel and some of this extra strength was then built into the O-series petrol engine by Rover.

Rover and its predecessors were never very innovative in their engine designs but I don't think they have ever made what could be called a bad engine. Does the panel agree?
Rover Diesel Engines - Miquel
Well, it's hard to compare as my L series is the only diesel I've ever had, but I'm pretty pleased with it. Quoted at 54 MPG (more like high 40's to 50 in reality) with a fair bit of poke. Early experiments seem to indicate it likes veg oil too, but that's another topic.
Rover Diesel Engines - Dereksn51
It's a good engine-I had one in a 98 400 and it never missed a beat in 60000 miles.The local mechanic advised changing the oil every 3000 miles which I thought excessive.Engine was a bit agricultural and always took two attempts on the smoke test for mot.Now got a Picasso Hdi and that's a peach of an engine
Rover Diesel Engines - NickD
My first diesel too - in an S-plate 600 I typically got 49-50 mpg on longish (50 mile) runs, 45mpg on shorter journeys; it's not too noisy either, with all that sound-proofing under the bonnet.

A very reliable engine for something built in Solihull.

My Mondeo TDDI is more powerful, and a little quicker, but sounds very harsh compared to the L-series.

Rover Diesel Engines - Big Cat
Yes it's the Rover L series diesel, fitted also to Rover 200/400 (post 1995), all Rover 25's and 45's, Rover 600, Freelander (until the BMW engine took over I think in 2000?) and the MG ZR and ZS.
It's a very good engine, fast and economical. A bit noisy compared to the latest common rail engines from VAG but very reliable. It even has a stainless steel head gasket.