SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - Icru96
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know your opinion on Seat Arona. I am looking for a compact SUV under 12k budget.
I like the VW Tcross, but good examples are above my budget. So I was thinking to go with its sibling Arona. Do you guys have any other suggestions that I should consider.
My priority is for a petrol vehicle with a fun to drive character.

Thank you :)

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - John F

Four years ago we were looking for the same sort of car, and the Arona was on our short list. We didn't like it at all and eventually went for a last of the line old style Peugeot 2008 at a bargain price of £17,000. Great car, no regrets. There are plenty of bargains around for this old shape model - just avoid any pre 2018 ones as they might have had cambelt issues.

Here's one.....

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311023570297?s...a

If you can afford it go for the nippy 130hp variant with the EAT6 box (a must in my view - far better than the manual box).

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - badbusdriver

Suzuki Vitara 1.4 Boosterjet.

Revised MHEV versions from 2020 on are just within budget. But these (inexplicably) were down on power from 140 to 129bhp, so maybe not worth bothering with. Reliable, nippy and fun to drive though.

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - Adampr

Unless you're keeping it forever, I'd avoid a second hand Seat. The impending demise of the brand means depreciation will accelerate. If you want that car, go for a Skoda Kamiq.

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - catsdad

Another vote for the Vitara. You will struggle to get a 1.4 2020 for £12k. I was looking a few weeks ago, when we bought one, and the main dealers and car supermarkets generally want around £14-£15k. Private sales would be cheaper but I didn’t get one come up within 100 miles of home.

I am also a fan of the 1.4 and 1.5 VAG engine ( once the latter kangaroo problem was sorted). So anything with that is also worth a look. If you can consider an estate then the choice is even wider.

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - badbusdriver

Unless you're keeping it forever, I'd avoid a second hand Seat. The impending demise of the brand means depreciation will accelerate. If you want that car, go for a Skoda Kamiq.

Sadly the Kamiq didn't arrive till 2 years after the Arona, so while there is a reasonably plentiful supply of the latter within budget, the same can't be said of the former!.

A Dacia Duster 1.3 turbo petrol as young as 2021 is within budget. Not sure if they'd be fun to drive, but should be nippy enough with 130bhp (150bhp versions are available, but not within that budget). Bigger car than the Arona, closer in size to the Ateca, but not that heavy.

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - Engineer Andy

I'd add the Mazda CX-3 to the list, given its similar size-wise to the Arona, except for the boot which is smaller, at about about 10% less on the lower and mid spec SE and SE-L (Nav) at 360L, but much smaller on the Sport / 4WD variants at 287L because part of the underboot are has some of the in-car entertainment system in it or part is taken up by the 4WD shaft.

Excellent handling for that sort of car, not quick (0-60 in 9sec for the manual, 9.9sec for the [smooth] torque converter auto in 2L petrol [no turbo] format) but perfectly fine. Sort of in-between the performance of the Arona in 1.0 petrol (110PS spec engine) and the 1.5EVO (150PS).

The best value for money spec is the SE-L or SE-L Nav (Plus) which gets a decent amount of kit, but is shod on sensible 16in tyres to give a decent ride, but which do not harm the handling. The Sport models are ok, but personally I felt the ride on the 18in tyres a bit too firm for my liking, especially as the car ages and the suspension wears.

The downside is that punters are aware of this and SE-L and similar variants are difficult to come by compared to the Sport variants, and any of the diesel-engined models, which I'd avoid because Mazda diesels have had issues over the years (the short-lived 1.8TD wasn't around long enough of likely bought in sufficient numbers to know whether they'd improved their design on the reliability front).

As shown by other posts, you probably have a good few cars to look at as there is a decent selection around, although in the current climate of high second hand prices, you may have to either consider an older car than you'd like or downgrade the trim level to the minimum you need only, except for the engine.

Best of luck.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 03/12/2023 at 15:26

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - Cris_on_the_gas

I have been driving a Seat Arona 1.0 Fsi DSG as a company car for the last 2 months and have covered about 2000 miles.

Overall if I was spending my own money on this car I would not buy it. It is not a bad car overall and offers reasonable fuel economy of between 35- 50 mpg. most of my work is stop start, drive between a few hundred yards and a few miles, stopping about 40 times a day. Comfortable car to drive. Don't like sat nav. Takes ages to load user profile and is not very current. Car is a 23 plate. Stop start is a pain as delay in moving off when you want to go. Defaults to normal driving mode all the time, there is a eco button but has to be set each time car is started. Doing multiple stops makes this a pain. Does not de mist very well on damp and cold mornings.

There must be better cars out there for the same money.

despite its faults its reasonable fun to drive

Edited by Cris_on_the_gas on 04/12/2023 at 09:57

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - Engineer Andy

I have been driving a Seat Arona 1.0 Fsi DSG as a company car for the last 2 months and have covered about 2000 miles.

Overall if I was spending my own money on this car I would not buy it. It is not a bad car overall and offers reasonable fuel economy of between 35- 50 mpg. most of my work is stop start, drive between a few hundred yards and a few miles, stopping about 40 times a day. Comfortable car to drive. Don't like sat nav. Takes ages to load user profile and is not very current. Car is a 23 plate. Stop start is a pain as delay in moving off when you want to go. Defaults to normal driving mode all the time, there is a eco button but has to be set each time car is started. Doing multiple stops makes this a pain. Does not de mist very well on damp and cold mornings.

There must be better cars out there for the same money.

despite its faults its reasonable fun to drive

The Mazdas of that era have a similar 'issue' with its stop-start system, which does have a manual 'off' button, but the system resets to default 'on' the next time the car is started. At least you can switch it off, which I suppose is better than nothing.

The Mazda Satnav system seems to be ok, though it only came with Apple CarPlay / Android Auto on them from around 2018 onwards, though you can pay around £300 to upgrade the previous version (~2014 cars onwards), which, like paying £400 for a optional OEM spare wheel and tyre, is rather steep in my view.

I also admit that the Mazda CX-3 isn't the largest inside, given it is based on the Mazda2. I suppose it depends on what it's used for.

If I recall, the KIA and Hyundai equivalents (Kona and Stonic) may come with spare wheels/tyres as standard, though neither seems to be that great on the driveability front, being only okish handling and rather firm riding, with only the former reasonably quick when partnered with the top spec 1.6 turbo, but probably has a very firm ride. Few of that spec about, I suspect.

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - veloceman
Other half had a 1.0 115bhp Fr. Was very capable if a bit dull but consistently achieved 50mpg.
Personally I found the seats too soft and not supportive.
Other than that gave no trouble in the 3 years she had it.
Puma she changed it for is far superior in every way but maybe out of your budget.
SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - Big John

Interesting, even though I’ve been a VAG person for some time I’m eyeing up the Puma especially now Ford is using a new cam chain engine for the 1.0. Driving position seems to be excellent but I’m not 100% convinced by the plasticky dashboard out of the Fiesta.

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - veloceman
We have the 125hp st-line X. Currently trip showing 53mpg. Handling and ride are excellent and will cruise on the motorway all day happily at the speed limit and above.
I haven’t really noticed the cheap plastics but maybe not as pronounced on the higher spec.
Service intervals are mad at 2yrs or 20k but we did ours at 12mths anyway.
Only criticisms I have is not keen on the infotainment, no split climate control and I find the clutch a bit heavy but that could just be ours. Just hit 36k in three and a half years and had no issues.
SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - maz64

We've got a 2018 1.5 FR, originally my company car (followed an A3), which we bought when the company and I went our separate ways. We like it - the FR might have firmer suspension, but we think it's comfortable, and good in the bendy bits. That spec gets you climate, Sat nav + Android Auto, LEDs and reversing sensors.

The 1.5 is decently quick (for us) but might take it out of your budget; the 1.0 is obviously slower but is supposed to be a nice unit. Only reliability issue has been the recent turbo hose noise, which was fixed free of charge and didn't cause any time off the road. Agree about the demisting being poor, and it's a bit plasticky inside.

However, I haven't driven any other SUVs, mini or otherwise, so haven't got anything to compare it with.

Edited by maz64 on 05/12/2023 at 12:30

SEAT Arona - Seat Arona or other compact SUV - maz64

Don't know if this is any help - Cinch have 3 petrol 1.0 Arona FRs under £12k:

tinyurl.com/2vb5yw65

You might not like the Cinch/Cazoo method of buying cars (I've used both) but it might give an idea of what's out there. Cheapest T-Cross they've got is £13.2k.