What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
\'98 Primera - Suspension problem - Beaks
My \'98 Primera has just had it\'s 6 month service ( 76000 miles ),at the Nissan main dealers.They say that the \'front Top Suspension Links\' are worn and need replacing.They have quoted £333 which seems v.expensive.I don\'t think much of the dealers anyway but are they trying to rip me off ?? Would i be better off going to a local garage for this work and just having the car serviced by the dealers for the stamp in the Service book?
They also say the front pads need replacing ( kwik-fit ?) and the rear discs..
'98 Primera - Suspension problem - Aprilia
Top link 'slop' is fairly common on the Primera and a small amount of it is not necessarily a problem. Does it 'knock' from the front when going over bumps at low speed? It might be worth seeking a second opinion from a local garage - they might not need doing yet.
The price quoted is high - a local garage should be able to do the job for rather less, it is a straightforward job.
Mintex do pads and discs for the Primera - will be much cheaper than the dealer, and again, a simple job to do.
'98 Primera - Suspension problem - Projjer
My '98 GT (130k miles) has just failed the MOT with "play in the front suspension"
Second opinion from local Nissan dealer confirmed this, and they told me that both the top suspension arm and the upright need replacing, both sides, including new wheel bearings.
Estimate was nearly £1200 !!.
Car currently sits in the drive while I decide what to do.
They did say that they had not done this particular repair before and were replacing both major components to make sure the play was eradicated.
Can somebody confirm that only one component needs changing (top arm?) and any recommendation for a local (Middx/Surrey) garage that can rectify at an economical level.

'98 Primera - Suspension problem - scotsman_1
had similar problems when i owned a 99 primera both top joints were replaced under warranty i can recall that the work was completed in approx 2 hrs and the knocking problem disappeared. the mechanic who fitted the new joints told me that this had been a manufacturing with that particular model. i think that you are being ripped off.
'98 Primera - Suspension problem - Virgil
I own a 1993 primera and highlighted what I thought was excessive play on the top susspension links to my nissan dealer prior to its last MOT, his reply was they have never failed a primera due to excessive play in the top links, an "amount" of play is perfectly normal. If however you are experiencing knocking on bad road surfaces then they would recomend replacement.
'98 Primera - Suspension problem - Altea Ego
Frankly for a 6 year old primera, you are wasting shed loads of cash by having it even serviced at a nissan main dealer. for a car of your miles/age/value then there is now no benefit of main dealer stamps. Servicing at a local garage will do just as well.
'98 Primera - Suspension problem - Beaks

Thank you all for the above messages.Great help.
I am going to contact Nissan GB to see if they will contribute,in case there was a manufacturing fault.If they don't i will take it to a local garage where i have had the wife's car done for a second opinion. To be honest there does not seem to be a problem whilst driving though there is sometimes a slight vibration getting up to motorway speeds..
\'98 Primera - Suspension problem - Beaks
Re the above. I contacted Nissan GB they did not respond.
I have taken the Primera to a local MOT garage who fitted new front brake pads ( 1/2 price of the dealers ) and asked them to look at the Suspension.The MOT tester came back 20 mins later saying there was nothing wrong with it. The dealers were deleted in deleted if you want to avoid them.....

{No naming/shaming, thank you. DD, BR Moderator}
'98 Primera - Suspension problem - egor
I had a knocking noise on my primera when i turned the wheels sharply like out of a junction or around a roundabout.
Turned out the cv joint gaiter had split spilt all the lubricant and the end result was 1 knackered cv joint and £226 less in the bank
'98 Primera - Suspension problem - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
I'm resurrecting this thread, because my wife's 95 Primera has just started making a knocking noise at low speed - there seems to be play where the top arm joins the vertical - is this the problem referred to here?

My question is - the noise has only just started, the car only does a low mileage around town, and the MoT is due in May. Assuming it needs doing for the MoT, should she get this done urgently or is it something which will wait a couple of months (until she can afford to fix it) ?

The work will be done at a friendly local garage, it doesn't look like a big job - anyone any idea how much the parts will cost and whether both sides need to be done together?

Thanks
'98 Primera - Suspension problem - Aprilia
With the Primera suspension design it is permissable for there to be some play and even the knocking noise can be permissable - it is irritating though. The best bet is to drop the car into a local MoT station and just ask them to feel the play and give a verdict.
The job is not difficult or complex; I think the parts would be sub-£100.
'98 Primera - Suspension problem - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
Thanks - will let you know the verdict