What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Used Audi A3 Vs Focus Vs VW Touran - Bill54

Hi. I have £2500 to spend on a nice cheap motor. It will be a mix of normal and motorway no more than 8k.miles a year.

We really like the A3 (especially tdi models), Ford focus and for extra room in case we wanted an 2nd car for the dogs the VW Touran.

I've been on all their FB forums and what a suprise they all say their cars are best but they all say I could pick a decent one up for £2500

What do other people think in terms of reliability, maintenance etc

Cheers

Used Audi A3 Vs Focus Vs VW Touran - catsdad

Bill your recent “to sell or not” thread covered a lot if this when you were looking to buy at £6k. At £2.5k you are nowadays potentially in banger territory and 10 plus years old. In general terms avoid diesels, chain cam VAG, automatics and cars that were expensive new. Look for simple, Japanese or basic common cars like Ford or Vauxhall. As you have already found you will get opinions either way even on these broad guidelines.
It might be best not to get too hung up on particular models but the only one if your short list I would consider is a Focus. I’d also look at Hondas including the Tardis like Jazz. But I’d be looking generally to see what’s around locally on Gumtree and Autotrader and filtering out those worth looking at on condition and how you assess the seller. The ideal car is probably one that’s being sold privately and been owned by the seller for several years and where there seems to be a good reason for sale. Someone selling an old well cared for car on giving up driving for example. Or if you know the seller personally.
Overall, at this end of the market, you will find a lot of dross and it will be hard to find anything half decent. Good cars do exist but will be rare.

Used Audi A3 Vs Focus Vs VW Touran - badbusdriver

In your last thread you were told all about the pitfalls of trying to find a decent car for £6k, now you want a decent one for £2.5k?

Good advice above, should you decide to take it, but this endeavour is going to be as much about luck as anything else. Do you feel lucky?

Used Audi A3 Vs Focus Vs VW Touran - Bill54

Yep...all changed for financial reasons

Not really looking for a decent family car just something to use for local trips, occasional motorway and the dogs

I'll keep looking...

Used Audi A3 Vs Focus Vs VW Touran - FoxyJukebox
Owned a 2007 A3 petrol for 10 years-sold at 90k miles
2 catalytic converters
2 lots of tyres all round
Never used oil
Major issue with electric locking at 2 yrs-hideously inconvenient, dealer dealt with this-wall of £death experience
Window mechanism replacement after 8 yrs
Audio packed up at 9 years-“aftermarket “ DAB installed-fine
Vehicle serviced annually by local service folk-fine.
Got £1500 on trade in. Saw it advertised in an Arthur Daly for £2500 10 days later.
It failed its MOT in 2021 and …….
Used Audi A3 Vs Focus Vs VW Touran - Chirpy99

Two catalytic converters? Never had any trouble with one, why do you think you had 2 failures?

Used Audi A3 Vs Focus Vs VW Touran - John F

Two catalytic converters? Never had any trouble with one, why do you think you had 2 failures?

I think it might have been taken to a provider of cheap MoTs (which also provided expensive replacement catalytic converters) which 'failed' it. My son was nearly fleeced by this trick at the local branch of a well known outfit. After my intervention he got his (mis)failed MoT fee money back.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, its bad that rogues are still out there in the 2020s, its pleasing that the germans can make a car that lasts.

Talking of the a3 was out today and stopped whilst cycling for fish and chips whilst I was eating them A lady pulled up in a 21 reg A3 Saloon , you dont see many of the on the roads.

Used Audi A3 Vs Focus Vs VW Touran - FoxyJukebox
Audi recomend changing them every 4 years if I recall

I bet they recommend it, money grabbers! We have had them about 30 years now never had to replace one on the cars Ive had since they were brought in 2 mazdas 1 nissan, 1 hyundai and 1 vauxhall.

Used Audi A3 Vs Focus Vs VW Touran - badbusdriver

I bet they recommend it, money grabbers! We have had them about 30 years now never had to replace one on the cars Ive had since they were brought in 2 mazdas 1 nissan, 1 hyundai and 1 vauxhall.

If you look up the lifespan of a cat, the general consensus is around 10 years and between 70 and 100k miles.

The fact that you have never replaced any on a car you have owned, doesn't mean it wasn't needed. A cat needing replaced is not going to, all of a sudden, make the car "not run", it will simply deteriorate and become ineffective at what it is supposed to be doing. Presumably at some point a car with an ailing cat will fail an MOT for emissions(?), but at what point along the deterioration that happens, I don't know.

Used Audi A3 Vs Focus Vs VW Touran - Sofa Spud

We had a 2003 Touran 1.9 Tdi, bought secondhand, which served us well for many years. Problems tended to be electrical, which I guess would be the same for the Audi A3, as it shares much of the same technology.

The main dislike of the Touran was loud tyre roar at the back when travelling at motorway speeds, something we never solved. Ours was a 5-seater, which meant it had a proper spare wheel.