Volvo XC60 - SUV Old v/s New (£25-£30k max) - ns23

Hi All

I am contemplating a 5-seat SUV, mainly for city driving over weekends. Annual mileage 6-7k so not looking at Diesel / Mild hybrid / PHEVs.. Budget was £20k but unable to find a good car, so have extended to £25k (ideally) or £30k (comfortable stretch).

Should I go for a used car as really like XC60 (criteria: Mileage less than 40k, age maximum 3-4yrs) or a new car (e.g. Skoda). Increase in used car costs is the reason for the question as not much difference in prices of 3yr old car v/s new.

Volvo XC60 - SUV Old v/s New (£25-£30k max) - badbusdriver

A forum member and ex motor trader had an XC60 a couple of years ago and thought it very poor in many areas, including reliability. Not sure if the one he had would be the same as what you are contemplating, but it is worth bearing in mind that models introduced after Volvo came under Chinese ownership have not been that reliable.

So between those two, I'd probably go with a new Skoda with the understanding that any DSG (assuming auto) problems will be covered by the warranty.

But with your usage, I certainly wouldn't actively avoid any sort of hybrid. Yes, a PHEV is going to be older for your budget, but assuming you can charge at home, most journeys could be done on electric only. With mild hybrid, it isn't really an option, most new cars will have a mild hybrid system of some type or other, certainly nothing to fear. A self charge hybrid would also give most benefits in your usage. Not sure what mpg you'd get with a self charge hybrid SUV, but not too long ago I watched a video of a Renault Clio self charge hybrid being driven exclusively in an urban environment. After more than an hour, it was averaging something like 85mpg.

With that in mind, I'd be looking at a Toyota RAV4 hybrid myself.

Thanks a lot.

I do not have access to home charging, hence no PHEV.

My calculations assumed 6k mileage per year, with mild-hybrid providing 25% higher MPG based on internet reviews (so regular 24MPG, mild-hybrid 30MPG). This resulted in per annum savings of £300 on mild-hybrid. Mild-hybrids were expensive by £3-4k over regular, resulting in break-even period of 10years. Hence excluded mild-hybrid, but agree I should not discard the option but consider.

I liked the RAV4 and CRV, but various car review sites have given better ratings to a Skoda (e.g. 9/10) compared to 7-8/10 for others.

I read that driving experience of RAV4 is not great and no Android Play in pre-2020 models. Any experience/reviews of driving experience compared to another similar car. I mainly expect city driving.

Volvo XC60 - SUV Old v/s New (£25-£30k max) - Ian_SW

If the same money will buy an equivalent new car but of a slighter less "prestige" make, I'd go for the new car every time.

£25 -30k will get you a brand new Kia Sportage or Skoda Karoq as long as you don't get carried away on the options list.

Why spend the same money on an equivalent sized 3 year old car which is probably less reliable anyway and someone else has already used/abused. If the badge and slightly less "posh" interior from one of the lower end marques is an issue, a safer secondhand bet than the Volvo would be a Lexus NX.

Volvo XC60 - SUV Old v/s New (£25-£30k max) - Adampr

I can say with absolute confidence that I would buy a second hand Skoda Karoq, because that's what I did.

Thanks a lot.

Exactly, the recent increase in cost of used cars has narrowed the difference. Will look at Lexus, as had always thought of it to be a luxury brand (compared to 'Premium' for Volvo and 'Standard' for Toyota).

Volvo XC60 - SUV Old v/s New (£25-£30k max) - badbusdriver

I read that driving experience of RAV4 is not great

I wouldn't put much faith in reviews from motoring journalists, unless you plan to do track days, their criteria is unlikely to be the same as yours!. Owner reviews can give a better picture of how the car is in the real world, but you will have to filter through some nonsense to find useful info!.

Take a test drive, ideally of a decent length, and see how you find it. But what I would say is that the RAV4 would suit a more relaxed driving style, so if you drive with your foot to the floor all, or most of the time, it probably wouldn't be the best choice.

no Android Play in pre-2020 models.

Looking at RAV4's on Autotrader, £27.k is enough to get into a 2021 car and £30k is enough to get into a 2022 car. But you can buy an Android adaptor off Amazon for £50 or less, you just plug it into the USB port.

I liked the RAV4 and CRV, but various car review sites have given better ratings to a Skoda (e.g. 9/10) compared to 7-8/10 for others.

Certainly not knocking the Skoda or saying it will be unreliable, but I would expect a RAV4 to be more reliable long term.

Will look at Lexus, as had always thought of it to be a luxury brand (compared to 'Premium' for Volvo and 'Standard' for Toyota).

Re the Lexus, same running gear as Toyota equivalent (so for RAV4, that would be the Lexus NX300h). Just as reliable, but an older car (1-2 years) for the same money.

Edited by badbusdriver on 25/09/2023 at 17:54

Volvo XC60 - SUV Old v/s New (£25-£30k max) - daveyjp

I'm not up to speed on current prices, but consider a Forester if you want something different and very reliable which you will always be able to sell in a few years.

Avoid the newer E boxer, hybrid, the battery adds weight, remkves boot space and offers nothing beneficial. The previous model is the one to go for. I had one for 50,000 miles, wheel bearing under warranty was the only issue.

Volvo XC60 - SUV Old v/s New (£25-£30k max) - jgrahampo

surely with your low mileage mpg is NOT a concern as the reality is it will make no difference. You could therefore buy a bigger engined petrol car that may be out of favour and reap the rewards that way. It's also likely to be more reliable as less stressed and no DPF. Why you "need" and SUV (let alone an awd one) I have no idea. Petrol, estate is the way to go.

Thanks

I would like to have an SUV due to personal preferences and auto-transmission. AWD is not a criteria. Agree that a pure play Petrol may work bet for me. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Volvo XC60 - SUV Old v/s New (£25-£30k max) - Terry W

For £25-30k there are a wide range of entirely capable SUVs available new or up to a year old. They will have the benefit of warranty for at least a couple of years and probably a level of kit and gizmos at probably the equal of an older premium motor.

An older premium motor will deliver a feel good feeling. But older premium motors are more likely to go wrong (a function of age and mileage) and when they do cost more to repair.

Depreciation on a (say) £25k car is likely to be similar irrespective of whether it is older or newer.

The choice is simply head or heart - reliable with risk limited by warranty, or a prestige motor which may make you feel good, impress the neighbours but could cost some serious dosh.