What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - OriginalKoko

I went out to buy a Kia Picanto and accidentally ordered a new MG HS. I know.

Don't any of you do things like that?

MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - edlithgow
Not like either of them.
MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - _

MG HS. Your fuel consumption won't be as good (being diplomatic)

Have you noticed the MG Pilot lump in the top centre of the windscreen. Quite intrusive.

Get ready for a £500 + second service. No service parts available elsewhere, brake discs or pads. Spares prices VERY high,

Depending on what year you are buying, possibly no DAB radio.

Read the owners forums.

Good luck anyway.

Edited by _ORB_ on 15/09/2023 at 07:59

MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - Adampr

I tend to go the other way. I chicken out of buying what I want and buy what I don't want because it's more sensible. Then I don't like it, and buy another shortly thereafter, which is not at all sensible and ends up costing more.

MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - madf

I do lots of research before buying so the ONLY spur of the moment purchase would be an incredibly stupid cheap price. But as I am very cautious, it would take a day to check it out first!

MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - movilogo

Never drove MG HS but was impressed looking at it. The YouTube reviews are also positive in general.

It is bigger than Picanto, so hope you will enjoy it.

MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - Ian_SW

All you've done really is go out to buy one type of budget hatchback and come back with a different one. It's a bit bigger, and I presume a little more expensive, but that's not that bad a thing.

It's hardly as if you came back with something really impractical like an MX5, or even worse bought an ageing luxury or performance car instead which is going to cost the same again every year in repairs....

Personally, I've only ever done the opposite - i.e. not bought cars I thought I really wanted to buy, but turned out to have something wrong or annoying about them when I test drove them. This can be quite a waste of time, but doesn't cost me anything.

MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - FoxyJukebox
Interesting about the availability / price of spares/brake pads etc etc-so if you want an aftermarket part of any kind for MG-there are none available anywhere?
MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - daveyK_UK
I didnt mind the MG HS, perfectly adequate car, nice warranty

Never looked at buying an SUV, are they cheaper than rival brands for the same size and type of car?
MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - _
I didnt mind the MG HS, perfectly adequate car, nice warranty Never looked at buying an SUV, are they cheaper than rival brands for the same size and type of car?

I didnt mind the MG HS, perfectly adequate car, nice warranty

adequate yes, if you can miss the huge MG pilot lump in the upper centre of the screen.

Warranty is deal with dealer only. MG?SAIC WILL NOT HELP, just refer you back to dealer. Dealer cannot do anything without a live overair diagnostic with MG warranty.

Are they cheaper than rival brands for the same size and type of car?

Cheaper than most of the competition. but servicing costs will take away some of that gloss.

Spares prices can be eye watering.

Edited by _ORB_ on 16/09/2023 at 19:20

MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - SLO76
As with most budget brands depreciation will be horrendous. If you’ve bought on PCP or contract lease then this is not a concern but if you’ve sunk your own money into it you’ll find it more costly to run overall than a better quality more mainstream car like a Toyota Corolla or Mazda 3 despite the higher list prices. Expect regular minor quality issues too, but the warranty will cover most of them.
MG HS - I Did a Bad Thing - Andrew-T
<< As with most budget brands depreciation will be horrendous. ...

Surely no more horrendous than a non-budget brand ? Depreciation really reflects the desirability (and availability) of any particular model.