What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - New car sales - mcb100
Latest SMMT figures for August have been published and Ford Puma is holding on as the most registered car in both August and year to date. Closely pursued by Tesla Model Y (23 units behind for the month).
Ford have three models in the top ten, Vauxhall have two, Tesla have two, Hyundai, Volkswagen and Audi one apiece.
Petrol still the largest market share at 40.6%, EV next at 20.1%, Mild Hybrid at 15.1%, Full Hybrid at 10%, PHEV at 7.7% and the balance made up of diesel and diesel Mild Hybrid.
The total market is ~7.5% below pre-pandemic levels.
Full data here - media.smmt.co.uk/download/925/august-2023/13209/sm...x

Edited by mcb100 on 07/09/2023 at 10:45

Any - New car sales - Maxime.

What about the plunging values of BEV's

In some of the papers some are 40 plus % down in a very short time.

I’m not sure what ‘a very short time’ is but with any car you can expect 15-35% in the first 12 months (many variables to consider) and 40-60% after three years.
EV is a new market that will take time to stabilise, and greater depreciation in the first three years has to be good for used car buyers, hasn’t it?
Any - New car sales - pd

I think some EVs had a major "bubble" after petrol/diesel hit £2 which a combination of greater used supply and reduced fuel costs has burst. Prices are now back roughly where they were before and roughly in line with ICE cars.

Some EVs, notably Teslas, have excellent residuals in the context of volume sales where as others are not so good. Just like ICE cars.

Edited by pd on 07/09/2023 at 14:09

Any - New car sales - veloceman
I see Evans Halshaw are offering brand new Corsa E for £19,995.
£8k off list price.
I wonder if that’s the shape of things to come.
Any - New car sales - tight git

When my MG4 was in for a service last week the dealer gave me a Corsa E for the day and I can say it was awful and I was glad to be back in my MG. The Corsa was noisy, rough, cramped and at list price more expensive. I'm not surprised they are having to discount them heavily to get buyers in.

Don't regret my MG4 after 15,000 miles in 10 months.

Any - New car sales - skidpan

I think some EVs had a major "bubble" after petrol/diesel hit £2 which a combination of greater used supply and reduced fuel costs has burst. Prices are now back roughly where they were before and roughly in line with ICE cars

Still way cheaper to run an EV charging at home (or using a "free" charger - non round these parts now.

Went to the garden centre the morning, 30mile round trip. Charged using Octopus Go @ 9.5 pence a kwh the trip cost us about £0.95. The same trip in the previous Superb at 45 mpg would have cost us about £4.60 (using current petrol price locally of £1.519 per litre).

Only a £3.60 saving, almost paid for the drinks.

Any - New car sales - Adampr

When my MG4 was in for a service last week the dealer gave me a Corsa E for the day and I can say it was awful and I was glad to be back in my MG. The Corsa was noisy, rough, cramped and at list price more expensive. I'm not surprised they are having to discount them heavily to get buyers in.

Sounds like it had a problem. I had a Corsa-e and, while definitely cramped, it was not noisy or rough at all.

Any - New car sales - JonestHon

One of my friends has one, she gives me and my daughter a lift every other day. The car is quiet as a mice compare to our petrol Avensis, what do you mean by noisy? Seems like most BEV makes a low hum but that's about it.

Any - New car sales - Heidfirst
I see Evans Halshaw are offering brand new Corsa E for £19,995. £8k off list price. I wonder if that’s the shape of things to come.

so much for no more heavy discounting of Vauxhalls that Stellantis had espoused ...

Any - New car sales - SLO76
I see Evans Halshaw are offering brand new Corsa E for £19,995. £8k off list price. I wonder if that’s the shape of things to come.

so much for no more heavy discounting of Vauxhalls that Stellantis had espoused ...

You can buy two year old examples with under 20k up for less than £14k. I spotted a private sale locally on a 70 plate for £12,000 also. The market has reset the original unrealistic list prices and is doing so with most EV’s. SWMBO’s Leaf made no sense new at circa £28k, but at £13,500 at three years old it’s saving her a substantial amount of money over a petrol or diesel car.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/09/2023 at 17:19

Any - New car sales - daveyjp

Vaushall and Ford have been saying for decades they are ending the deep discount model. Its nonsense.

They are mass volume manufacturers selling huge numbers to fleets, this means there is always a supply of nearly new models on the market and they have to competeto sell new ones to private buyers, hence why deep discounts on new cars via brokers won't go away.

Do you have a link please? I can see some.pre-regs for £25k but no brand new ones at £20k.

Any - New car sales - Terry W

Search Autotrader - lots of new Corsa and E208 for sale around the £22-23k mark. Also the EH £20k ad.

I would guess the lower price of s/h EVs is that the first owners would largely have been on lease deals - company car users and tax benefits made the high cost attractive.

Second owners are likely to be private buyers who get little tax benefit from driving EV, and may be spending real money through cash purchase not lease. They will inevitably compare ICE with EV noting that many are still "range anxious".

Search Autotrader - lots of new Corsa and E208 for sale around the £22-23k mark. Also the EH £20k ad.

Indeed

Amazing, especially when others are still trying to sell them at £30k plus.

If anyone sees an Abarth 500e for £25k new, do please let me know...

Sorry, can’t do a link but search Autotrader and select Brand New.
Plenty on there.
Any - New car sales - badbusdriver

As far as I can see, there is only one listed on Autotrader under £20k, this one in Kilmarnock (of all places!)

There are a handful more for not much more though.

Any - New car sales - Ian_SW

Am I right in thinking the Corsa has just had a face-lift?

If so, dealers will want rid of showroom models and demonstrators fairly quickly as they'll need the current model one in there. Nearly 20 years ago now, I got an effectively new Octavia for about £5k below list price (about 30% off) because the model was changing and the dealer needed to sell the one which had been sitting in their showroom for the last 9 months.

Having said that, there are good discounts to be had on many of the "less good" electric cars - there's a large number of new or pre-reg Citroen E-C4s listed for about £23k on Autotrader too, which is a much bigger car than the Corsa and that's about £13k off list price.

It's a different story on the more expensive EVs though - best offer on a Kia EV6 is £2.5k off a list price of £45k with a similar story with the BMW i4 which has about £5k off a list price of £60k.

Am I right in thinking the Corsa has just had a face-lift?

It has indeed. It's gone from looking like a low-rent 208 to having a the more angular Vauxhall corporate face. Still, that's a hell of a discount they're offering. God knows what the margin was on them originally.

Any - New car sales - daveyK_UK
After the MG3 which is dreadful due to its 1980s engine

The current corsa is a close 2nd in the worst new car on sales list

Badly cramped, uncomfortable to drive and not well built

Only positive compared to the MG was good fuel economy from the 1.2 puretech
Any - New car sales - _
After the MG3 which is dreadful due to its 1980s engine The current corsa is a close 2nd in the worst new car on sales list Badly cramped, uncomfortable to drive and not well built Only positive compared to the MG was good fuel economy from the 1.2 puretech

Agreed the MG3 is not very good at all, but selling on price.

Being replaced soon, but not known if coming to the UK.

‘ It's a different story on the more expensive EVs though - best offer on a Kia EV6 is £2.5k off a list price of £45k with a similar story with the BMW i4 which has about £5k off a list price of £60k.’

This ties in exactly with figures I saw yesterday - from a manufacturer’s total registrations, the highest percentage of EV’s in the sales mix is inevitably with the premium brands. MG is the big outlier here, with 26% of their sales being EV (rolling calendar year, August 22 to July 23). Toyota are showing 1%, as are Honda, Ford at 2%.
These are brands more likely to be bought retail - ie people spending their own money.
BMW, by contrast, much more likely to be leased/contract hired, are 17% of their mix being EV. With attendant tax advantages for the end user.
The only brands currently escaping fines for not achieving 22% by 2024 are Tesla, MG, Polestar, Cupra, Jaguar, Genesis, Smart, GWM Ora and BYD.
However it’s such a fast changing market that even a rolling year’s data may already be unrepresentative of what’s happening now.

Edited by mcb100 on 08/09/2023 at 11:36

And just arrived into my inbox -

cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/toyota-boss-fears-...8

2024 could be a good year for buying a manufacturer pre-registered EV…

Edited by mcb100 on 08/09/2023 at 12:18

Any - New car sales - _

Except for this one

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202308311398368?s...a

If it is real...

A lot of 3 yr old MGZS ev's for sale at about half price..

Edited by _ORB_ on 08/09/2023 at 14:29

Any - New car sales - skidpan

A lot of 3 yr old MGZS ev's for sale at about half price.

But you hated yours so why suggest one?

Any - New car sales - _

A lot of 3 yr old MGZS ev's for sale at about half price.

But you hated yours so why suggest one?

Other people are free to choose what THEY want. Just an example of what is available.

‘ If it is real...’

160,000 miles ?!?!?!
Any - New car sales - FiestaOwner
‘ If it is real...’ 160,000 miles ?!?!?!

Have to laugh at this one. It's advertised as a one owner car. Technically that is correct.

However, if you google the reg there is a TFL result showing, it is an ex private hire car.

If you view the MOT history, it's been getting MOT'd every 6 months from new (which would also confirm Taxi or Private Hire car)!

Suppose a private hire car would have an easier life than a taxi.

From what you can see in the photos, it looks in good condition. The seats look really good, although you can't see all the bolster on the driver's seat.

Impressive that it's got to that mileage. Wonder how good the battery is? Also wonder if it's economically viable to run this car a few more years?

Would be interesting to see what parts have worn.
No Clutch/DMF, burning oil due to engine wear etc, etc, etc!
Any - New car sales - _

Have to laugh at this one. It's advertised as a one owner car. Technically that is correct.

However, if you google the reg there is a TFL result showing, it is an ex private hire car.

If you view the MOT history, it's been getting MOT'd every 6 months from new (which would also confirm Taxi or Private Hire car)!

Suppose a private hire car would have an easier life than a taxi.

From what you can see in the photos, it looks in good condition. The seats look really good, although you can't see all the bolster on the driver's seat.

Impressive that it's got to that mileage. Wonder how good the battery is? Also wonder if it's economically viable to run this car a few more years?

despite my personal distaste after my own experiences It's done well, As had the txi ZS petrol in colchester and the MG5 estate EV that replaced it, although I heard that the operator wasn't impressed after a while,.

Still, that price, a nice one for SLO76 ?? (tongue very firmly in cheek ! )

So it’s done over 40,000 miles a year with a 44.5kWh battery and a WLTP range of 163 miles and people say EV’s are impractical:).
Any - New car sales - pd

That MG ZS went through Aston Barclay about 2 weeks ago. It's genuine enough.

Any - New car sales - Terry W

Had the owner been buying fuel at (say) 40mpg they would have used 4000 gallons (18000 litres) at a cost of ~£27k.

Depending where the car was charged it may be very clear why it represents such a good deal for a private hire/mini cab.

The average daily mileage at 40k pa would be 110 miles - it is quite possible it was used 7 days a week by 2 drivers sharing (another economy).

If used in or around London the range issue is probably illusory most of the time as average speeds hover around 10-12 mph.

I wonder what its battery SOH is like?