What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Symptoms of inlet manifold leak - Fiesta - Ford Dagenham
Hello all.

What kind of symptoms go with a leak in inlet manifold (in the gasket).

Wifes Car was serviced today and they claim there is a leak but it has no symptoms.

Thanks.
Martin Winters.
Symptoms of inlet manifold leak - Cliff Pope
Symptoms may include poor idle, poor performance, or overheating.
You can test for a leak by squirting WD40 using the red tube around the likely spots while letting the engine idle. The speed changes when you hit a leak.
Symptoms of inlet manifold leak - Ford Dagenham
Hello thanks for help.

Can hole/s get bigger or worse over time.

The Garage Require £82 to remove the manifold and insert a new gasket.

Is it an easy job for an intermiediate home mechanic.

Thanks.
Martin Winters
Symptoms of inlet manifold leak - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Depends what car you have. Vectra 4 cyl is around an hour, 2.2 turbodiesel Renault espace allow a day or so by the time you have removed the engine and transmission!!!!
Seriously the garage must have discovered something wrong to even go looking for a leaking gasket so if you say it has no symptoms I would be sceptical if it doesnt have an idle misfire or an emissions (MOT) issue.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
Hello.

It misses (just hope my mrs doesent notice or it will be sold).

Its the Fiesta my mondeo doesent have a problem like that its always the wifes car probably because she doesent go very far in it.

1.1 carbereterd fiesta 67K (thousand).

Thanks
Martin Winters

Anyone?
Symptoms of inlet manifold leak - John S
FD

The good news is that it's very easy job to change the inlet manifold gasket on your car - I reckon one of the easiest around.

Regards

John S
Hello.

Do you know how long it will take roughly and what i will have to remove.

What tools will i need to do the job.

Thanks for the help so far.
Martin Winters.
Symptoms of inlet manifold leak - Claude
Workshop manual (Haynes), new gaskets, screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable spanner, small hammer, socket set and also some penetrating/releasing fluid like Plus Gas (or WD 40 if no proper penetrating/release fluid available). The time would depend on how confident you are. I suppose a mechanic could do it in an hour. Its very straightforward but there's always something that arises which is likely to mean you might take much longer. Like a stuck manifold nut or one which is hard to get to.