What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What Fun for £20K? - Mattster
The missus' dad is handing back his company 523i and buying his own car for up to £20k. He's looking for ideas. It needs to be "fun, fast, stylish, big enough for 4 adults and not boring". It'll probably need to be new unless there's a particularly tempting reason for going second-hand.

In the running at the moment is the Mini Cooper S. A possibility is the Mazda RX-8 (though some reports say the rear seating is too small). I'm going to suggest also the Saab 9-3 2.0 Aero HOT as I've just seen it for under £20k on this website. Also the Seat Leon Cupra R. He can't have a Civic Type-R as I've got one!

What do you reckon?

Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
What Fun for £20K? - PR {P}
How about an Alfa 147 GTA, I saw them advertised on here for about 18k. Bonkers car!
I already brought that one to his attention. Unfortunately, my last car was an Alfa 156 and was an utter dog. So I doubt that anyone I know will ever buy an Alfa!

Mattster
What Fun for £20K? - SjB {P}
<<< big enough for 4 adults >>>

That rules out the Cooper S you listed.

It might indeed have the same wheelbase as a Disco, but there is room for amputees only in the back.
What Fun for £20K? - No Do$h
I already brought that one to his attention. Unfortunately, my
last car was an Alfa 156 and was an utter dog.
So I doubt that anyone I know will ever buy
an Alfa!

You know, I'm really tempted to abuse my moderating buttons and edit your post to sing the praises of all things Alfa.... ;o)
No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Sing the praises of all things Alfa? What a marvellous idea! Why didn\'t I think of that?

Mattster
What Fun for £20K? - LongDriver {P}
Honda Accord 2.4 Type S or Executive ??

Basically the same car, but the Exec is wearing sheep\'s clothing...
What Fun for £20K? - bradgate
What about an Imprexa WRX?

£20k buys a new one and it would definitely be "fun, fast, big enough for 4 adults and not boring". You can add bulletproof reliability to that list as well.

Not so sure about the "stylish" though!!
What Fun for £20K? - MichaelR
Nah, sod the ugly WRX.

How about a lovely 01X Impreza P1 :)
What Fun for £20K? - Roger Jones
Go for second hand with warranty and he'll have lots more choice, little extra risk, and ultimately lots more fun.
What Fun for £20K? - bradgate
Now you're talking...

A true modern classic.
What Fun for £20K? - Paul Robinson

If 'stylish' is a big priority, I think the Peugeot 406 Coupe is still a stunning looking car, should tick all the other boxes too. A near new one would be better to avoid some of the awful depreciation!
What Fun for £20K? - Big Cat
MG ZT....
Fast, roomy, comfy, safe, well built, fun, quite cheap to service, reliable. Looks are personal.
We love our 75 (our 3rd) and cousin has a ZT which he is very happy with - and he generally buys German or Swedish.
What Fun for £20K? - topaktas
I'm having a lot of fast fun with my Passat W8, which comfortably takes 4 adults. Much of the fun comes from the reaction of other drivers who have to be ahead of me at all costs - well, it's only a Passat after all..."Blimey, where did that go?"
What Fun for £20K? - DavidHM
Another alternative (and yes, I love them maybe slightly irrationally) is a Mondeo ST220. 3.0, 220 bhp, decent handling, loads of room, all the kit including leather (and with the discount from www.motorprovider.co.uk - nearly £6k off list - you should have enough for a nice holiday or even more toys).

It's probably not as pure, or as fast, as a Scooby, but it is prettier, more grown up and refined and maintenance costs will be sensible too.
What Fun for £20K? - Maz
I'd have two definites for test drives. The Scooby and the Focus RS.
What Fun for £20K? - peterb
"I think the Peugeot 406 Coupe is still a stunning looking car"

Agreed, but he's going to really notice the difference in quality compared to a 5 series. It'll also start to look subtly dated when the 407 saloon comes out.