Cooling System Pressure Testing Pug 309D - pullgees
I'm losing coolant slowly so had a garage do a pressure test and no leaks were detected. On the equipment that does the test is there a gauge that can be monitored to see if the pressure drops? Because if so, then if the needle drops there is obviously a leak somewhere.
Cooling System Pressure Testing Pug 309D - Peter D
Yes that is how they test leaks, However I have come across leaks that only happen at certain temperatures so they do not always show up. These have mainly been in the radiator and the leak is often very difficult to see. I recently found a leak that only happens when the engine is stone cold ( Pug 106 ) The other possibility ( long shot ) is it is only leaking when the engine is running i.e. the water pump shaft when it is rotating. How many miles have you done and what age is the car. Regards Peter
The car is a K reg and has done 140000 miles and the radiator about 45000 miles. I haven\'t seen any anti freeze stains on hoses etc. Is it possible that I have the beginnings of a blown head gasket? Although there is no excessive pressure in the expansion tank when the cap is removed.
It is possible that your head gasket it to blame but a pot to waterway would over pressurise your system so it would show, if was was weeping into a water way it would cause some emulsion in the oil and filler cap, but it could be weeping at the head gaster to the outside world. However I would expect all those to show up under the garage pressure check as long as they test is over a couple of hours. I would check all the bleed valves to make sure there is no air in the system and that the bleed valve is not the cause of the leak. At 140,000 miles I would be very suspiciuos of the Waterpump. Good Luck Regards Peter
Your right to be suspicious of the water pump. I had the system pressure tested again and no leak was detected. It wasn't until the garage started up the engine and then inspected underneath the vicinity of the water pump did a small leak become evident.
So the next question is . Will some sort of stop leak additive seal this small leak?
Assuming it is the shaft seal NO. If the seal is away it will not be long before the bearing fails and you need a new pump anyway. I would change it soon. Regards Peter
Cooling System Pressure Testing Pug 309D - pienmash
change the pump if its leaking now.....otherwise pulley will breaks off
Yep, Drop cam belt and take at least 4 valves and may be a piston crown with it. It sound like you've been there. Regards Peter
Well thanks everybody. Replacing the water pump is going to cost me about £150 including the part and I'm just wondering what's next considering the car has done 142000 miles. The thing with diesels is, the engine may go on indefinitely but everything else wears just like a petrol driven vehicle.
Pleased to have help. have the cam belt changed and a new tension idler at the same time. 142K I would also have the cam shaft oil seal changed and very close inspection of the crankshaft oil seal. while its all open. Regards Peter