What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Getting the best out of your car - Oz
My wheels are now around 3 years old. I drive it as if it\'s an extension of my own self.
Now, I\'m sensitive about my own health (I have to be, at my age).
So what this means is, my car gets driven \'sympathetically\', looked after, pampered, etc.
My car rewards me with 100% reliability, and low costs. Great.
My worry is: have I become an old bloke before my time?
Oz (as was)
Getting the best out of your car - Algernon
What is being driven "sympathetically"? My hobby car is certainly very well looked after, but when the salt has gone it will be taken out and after a careful recce of the course for hostiles the pedal will be put very firmly to the metal. It's that sort of car and that is what it was bought for. I may be old but I absolutely decline to be an old emission of wind.

It's not really a matter of age or time, if one is an old whatever it's not because one has become one, it is because one just is.
What is being driven "sympathetically"?

I'm referring to those who whinge when something avoidable goes wrong, who don't have the first idea why, or about preventive maintenance.
No, this is not prompted by any particular post on this site, but by the general commercial motoring world (in which I am still gainfully employed). Cars turning up which are 10,000 miles overdue for servicing and the like. No sympathy for the car here. Driver's eye as dry as the dipstick.
The world of motor sport is entirely different scenario but can't you do both?

'Age' is irrelevant except that it should bring more time in which to do what really turns you on, without necessarily the corresponding increase in dosh with which to do it. No good whinging about avoidable costs. Time for pragmatism, not flatulence.
Oz (as was)
Getting the best out of your car - Civic8
See what you are saying.But unfortunately there are a few that
do not have an interest in what happens under the bonnet.Or for that matter any where on the car they dont or cannot see.
I have spoken to the odd customer that said as long as it runs
they are happy.You cannot get away from the fact some dont have
a clue and although they moan about unexpected repair bills
they still pay up.Usually because they know they ARE in the wrong.Makes more money for the garage as well I dont hear them moaning/Not saying you are by the way
Getting the best out of your car - Dude - {P}
Oz - As a matter of interest, how often do you change the oil on your diesel, - do you stick with the manufacturers recommendations, or go for an oil change between their 13 to 15k service intervals.???

I personally reckon that is too long, even with fully synthetic oil, and because I do a lot of short runs am changing approx every 6.5k.
I personally reckon that is too long ...

Dude, I am inclined to agree, even though BMW are quite adamant: 'follow the indication given by the on-board computer', even if (as is the case for me nowadays), 13000-plus miles means well over a year's interval. I have an idea that there is a certain period of time (2 years?) where they would however draw the line.

Last October in fact I drove my 320d down to Munich (coals to Newcastle) but got it serviced prior to the trip, 2000 miles 'early'.
Incidentally I wound it up to a modest 123mph (measured per SatNav) on the Autobahn. Could have done better but for the fairly high traffic level. Got the impression sometimes that it was only the visiting Brits that had any wish to drive ton-up.
And the Autobahns do have plenty of speed restrictions.
Oz (as was)
Getting the best out of your car - OldPeculiar
If when you change the oil on your diesel is an indication of who over the hill you are then I'm in trouble, I changed the oil on my Focus yesterday 5K after the last service. (and quite a pain it was too!)
Getting the best out of your car - Andrew-T
Algernon - I can't judge exactly how you define 'old', but I hope you make allowance for deteriorating eyesight, hearing, reactions, etc. before applying pedal to metal. Or maybe you assume that failing pressure on the pedal compensates for all that? :-)
Getting the best out of your car - malteser

instead of "an old emission of wind", why not use "an old eructation?"
Classier - Hm maybe!
"Rude, crude and socially unacceptable"
Getting the best out of your car - Burnout2
Nah, you're not getting old - or, if you are, caring about your motor isn't symptomatic. It's really about balance; I'm obsessive about checking fluid levels and tyre pressures on a regular basis, and I would be physically incapable of bringing myself to abuse a car by (for example) redlining the engine from cold. Driving a car smoothly and well is a pleasure in itself.

On the other hand, washing it is boring and time-consuming so it doesn't get done very often (as long as the paintwork's protected). Worrying obsessively about what brand of oil to use, and going to the hassle and expense of unspecified interim changes is insane unless the car is going to be a long-term keeper. Running a car is expensive enough without paying to keep the next-owner-but-one in reliable motoring.

Getting the best out of your car - Algernon
>>instead of "an old emission of wind", why not use "an old eructation?"<<

That would be an old burp - if the nanny device allows it!