What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - Steveieb

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/hiring-electric-car-ruin-holiday/

Bit of a shock to find being forced to take an EV by car rental companies when nothing else is available.

Seems like some of the larger rental companies are replacing their ICE fleet with EVs.

But from the story some cars don’t come complete with charging cables so the renters have no option but to queue up at charging stations.
And renters need to take into account the extra time it is likely to put on your journey.

Maybe best to set the supply of an ICE car as a condition of the rental agreement.

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - Bromptonaut

I think that for a fair number of people hiring a car to get from the airport to their villa and tootle round the local sights etc and EV would be fine. Would certainly have been OK for us on our trip to Madeira where we had a hire car.

Perhaps counterintuitive but if we'd flown to Stornoway it would have been fine on the Western Isles too. Obbe to the Butt of Lewis and back might have needed a stop to charge up but the infrastructure in the main towns is surprisingly good.

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - badbusdriver

Makes a lot of sense going EV on the Islands as most are not that big and holidaymakers go there for the peace and quiet (not to mention the air quality).

But I don't see electric hire cars being a problem for the majority (assuming you are comfortable driving an auto)

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - pd

As hire cars tend to be quite new presumably in the next few years pretty much all of them will become EVs?

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like I’m going to have to pack a type 2 charging lead for my next car hire abroad.
Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - Brit_in_Germany

Returning an EV fully charged could be a bit of a pain, I guess.

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - mcb100
I stopped reading at the quote from someone saying they had to recharge every 40 miles…
Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - Steveieb

I imagine the EVs will need to be recharged at the depot meaning an extra charge similar to returning a ICE car for refuelling if you don’t find a petrol station on the way .

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - Terry W

EV manufacturers will see the hire companies as a marketing exercise - get a wide range of relatively prosperous drivers into an EV in the hope that they will (a) be converted to the benefits of EV, and (b) specify the driven brand when it comes to the next purchase.

If pricing is anything like ICE cars they will get a very healthy discount on normal prices.

There is also much less chance of abuse to engine, clutch and gearbox - the first is electronically controlled and the other two are non-existent.

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - Ethan Edwards

Exactly that's utterly ridiculous. Unless they were given a ten year old Nissan Leaf first generation that's 40 miles business is just a stupid lie.

I'd have been delighted to get given an EV. I had to pay money to get mine.

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - Ian_SW

The hire company (who seem to get surpised every they get a booking and never have any cars available) tried to "upgrade" me to a 40kWh Nissan Leaf for a work trip recently.

I was doing a 600 ish mile round trip over two days so when I told them that they then offered me an Aygo instead. I was unsure which would be worse - a journey with at least two 45 minute charging stops each way or rattling along in an Aygo. I then tried complaining a bit and they found something suitable from behind the sofa.

If it been a Niro, Kona or something else with a half decent motorway range, which would have meant only one half hour charging stop (which I have to take anyway to meet the company safety policy) , I'd have taken it to see what it was like.

I wonder how they deal with the "return it full" policy though. For a petrol car, that's easy as you just fill up at the nearest petrol station just before returning the car. The equivalent with an EV would be the nearest fast charger, but they will only charge most cars to about 80% before slowing right down. It would probably need to be overnight on a slow charger to get a genuine full battery.

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - sammy1

Lets get this straight so people are flying abroad on highly polluting planes and then moaning about an EV when they arrive and there is concern about the amount of battery when they give it back.. I am sure the rental company will find some way to ring an extra few quid out of you how about £10 per Kwh! It just goes to show that the ordinary bloke in the street does not give climate a second thought or the sheer inconvenience of charging an EV in the blazing sun is too much for some!

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - Bromptonaut

I wonder how they deal with the "return it full" policy though. For a petrol car, that's easy as you just fill up at the nearest petrol station just before returning the car. The equivalent with an EV would be the nearest fast charger, but they will only charge most cars to about 80% before slowing right down. It would probably need to be overnight on a slow charger to get a genuine full battery.

My guess would be that they'll have a deal and/or in southern Europe their own solar etc and cars will be supplied at 100% with the cost of getting them back to that either included or an extra you cannot avoid.

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - S40 Man

We got offered a Tesla on trip to Norway. Wasn't sure about charging at our accommodation in Lillehanmer so declined and got a hybrid RAV4 instead which was reasonably economical and ok on the snow. We did see a few charging ports around and it would have saved quite a bit on tolls as the Tesla was exempt. It was nice to have the option and might have been quite interesting as I've never tried electric only.

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - 72 dudes

We've just got back from Jersey where we rented a petrol car (Peugeot 208). The policy there is pay a fuel cost of half a tank and return it empty. This was Europcar but I would assume Hertz and Avis are the same now.

To be honest, an EV would have been ideal. We covered about 180 miles in the week which most EVs would have just about managed.

The other thing is that with such short journeys, hills and mainly third gear work, petrol cars are inefficient. Our 208 1.0 3 pot with 75 BHP had managed 20.1 mpg on the fuel computer over the previous 6200 miles. I managed to achieve 34 mpg in the week I had it, but that's hardly outstanding.

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - Brit_in_Germany

Looking at prices for our next trip, Europcar offers an MG4 for the same price as a Focus and include a full charge.

Holiday makers being given EV s by rental company - Adampr

I don't know what they're complaint about - I got a Renault Kadjar once.