How quick does your 306TD heat up? - solara

Hi,

I have a Pug 306TD 1993, which seems to take longer than usual to heat up inside. I dont know whether its just me, or whether this is normal.

0 mins: Starting with a cold engine, external temp 3 degrees C. Blowers on speed 1, temp control on full hot.
3 mins: later doing 30mph (no traffic), and very slight warm air.
5 mins: approach motorway (slight warm air), blower on speed 2.
7 mins: good run on motorway, coolant temp approaching 80 degreees C. Internal heat getting warm.
10 mins: still on motorway, coolant rises to 94 degrees celsius, and then drops back to 82 degrees celsius (fairly sharpish). I guess this is when the rad thermostat opens.
13 mins: getting off motorway, coolant steady at approx 85 degrees celsius. Blowers now warm (but not hot).
15 min: journey end, car is now just approaching warm internally.

Note the internal heater is much quicker to heat up at lunch time, and does get fully hot.

I have bled my coolant system fully, so I dont expect that is a problem.
I just want to know whether this what other 306 users experience?
Only really became apparent when I noticed my My wifes A-class heated up in a few minutes from cold. But then again it is only 2 years old, and my 306 is 10+.

Cheers
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - Ross_D
That sounds very much like mine.

2-3 miles (40mph), temp gauge hits first mark, air warmish.
4-miles (70-80mph), temp gauge does the 90 to 80 degrees bit.
I can feel the air from the vents starting to warm before any reading is visible on the gauge though. In the main though my heater acts as you have described. Mine is a 95 DTurbo.
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - Dynamic Dave
0 mins: Starting with a cold engine, external temp 3 degrees
C. Blowers on speed 1, temp control on full hot.

Try leaving the temp control set to cold until the temperature gauge moves off the bottom of the scale. I have found my car (Vectra) takes over 5 mins longer to warm up with the temp control set to hot from journey start off than it does if I leave it on the cold setting.
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - solara
Does the 306 control its heater matrix temperature via an air flap, or via a hot water valve?
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - DL
Air distribution flap IIRC...
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - AlanGowdy
Remember that diesels do take quite a lot longer to warm up than petrol cars (it's the price you pay for their better efficiency). It isn't so noticeable until you get to this time of year when the cabin seems to take forever to get cosy.
Once warmed up they should be just as snug as petrol cars. If not then you have got a problem.
306 TD thermostats are rated at 82/83C; it might be worth changing it, if not just for peace of mind?

Pretty easy to do, only 3 10mm bolts
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - twarde
I have much the same problem with my C5 HDI (110). Having climate control just seems to make things worse. I have to set the temperature to 28c to get the quickest heating heating effect and thats very slow, even at motorway speeds.

The best car I have had for heating up quickly was a Peugeot 406 1.8 petrol. You would think that the Peugeot/Citroen would have a similar design of heating system.

How quick does your 306TD heat up? - Quinny100
The trouble with the HDi engines (and other modern diesels) is that they are so efficient they don't produce much excess heat to warm to coolant to provide heat in the cabin.

I believe that VW now fit a separate heater system to the Golf manuafactured by Beru to overcome this problem.

I've just changed my 93 Xantia TD for a Focus 1.8 16v and noticed how much quicker it warms up comparted to the Xantia. I found the Xantia warmed up fastest with the heater set to cold until the gauge had moved.
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - CG
This is very true Alan, their efficiency is such that getting warm can be a slow process, especially if you live on the top of a hill and the first few miles are generally downhill without the need for much throttle. I have a 406 Hdi (Sep 2000) which isn't too bad - I understand that the cooling water is routed in such a way as to feed the heater matrix early on. There's plenty of heat once warm. I find that keeping the heater set low to begin with gives the engine a chance to warm up - I think someone else has mentioned this. The only 'price you pay' is by the petrol-engined owners - I think I'd rather have my 50mpg with slow-ish heater than 30mpg with quick warm-up!
This 'query' always pops up when the cold weather arrives!

Every year, without fail!

Agreed - I'd far rather have a 50MPG Diesel car than a 30MPG Petrol one.....nuff said
--
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - urlife_006
you can really get 50mpg with a deisel, wow, ok when my car is no longer useable i am going deisel

Sam
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - madf
Similar problem with Audi A4TDI.. 48mpg but heater took 6 miles to warm up in winter (old style before facelift)..

madf

How quick does your 306TD heat up? - twarde
I could put up with the slow warm up times if my highly efficient 2.0 HDI engine was just that. Recently the fuel consumption on my C5 has dropped below 40 MPG. It was 44-45 MPG last summer, with the climate control working hard.
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - AlanGowdy
CG - I couldn't agree more. I'd not swap my current £12000 diesel for any petrol model below £20,000 and even then I'd miss the 55 mpg, massive mid-range overtaking ability and unstressed (1800 rpm at 70 mph) motorway cruising.

Who needs heat anyway?
How quick does your 306TD heat up? - NARU
My 330d has a 'kettle' at the back of the engine bay, which heats the coolant, so that the engine and car interior get warm quickly. Mine is electric (with a huge thick cable from the battery), but on the 5-series I believe it is diesel powered.

The diesel oness are available for retrofit from webasto - about £650 fitted I think, so expensive. But they have a neat trick in that you can warm the coolant before you go out to the car - ie. instantly hot interior and engine.