What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo - Beginning of the end for PHEV’s. - mcb100
News that Volvo are with drawing all their PHEV variants from the UK market to focus on achieving 50% of its sales being fully electrified by 2025.
Will other manufacturers follow suit?
Volvo - Beginning of the end for PHEV’s. - sammy1

Reading up on the Ex30 which I bet you cannot wait to get hands on the quick one. I would quite like a go myself. In any case Volvo are said to be cutting all sort of corners to bring down the price it can offer its cars to the buying public but without cutting quality and all their safety packages. I suspect the price of a PHEV with its duplicated power systems is not longer worth the money spent for its usage. These type of cars have never made sense to me.

Volvo - Beginning of the end for PHEV’s. - movilogo

PHEV is halfway house.

In HEVs, you are running ICE for long journeys and when crawling is traffic the engine is switched off and you are saving on fuel. There is not much penalty on weight or carry stuff that is not necessary for that specific journey.

PHEV may suit drivers who do most of their regular journeys on battery alone, not having to fire engines. But on these journeys they haul massive engine for nothing. When they do long distance journey they haul massive battery for nothing.

Some may consider PHEV as best of both worlds. So all depends on perspective.

Volvo - Beginning of the end for PHEV’s. - Terry W

PHEV is complex and expensive - two power trains, battery and fuel. It becomes largely obsolete when range anxiety diminishes as charging network and EV range improves.

Volvo are just anticipating the inevitable.

Volvo - Beginning of the end for PHEV’s. - Xileno

PHEV would be ideal for me - almost all my journeys are less than ten miles but the very occasional longer one. I think Jaguar are going all-electric soon as well. Certainly interesting times ahead!

Volvo - Beginning of the end for PHEV’s. - alan1302

Reading up on the Ex30 which I bet you cannot wait to get hands on the quick one. I would quite like a go myself.

Yet you complain about all the fast/high performace EVs being available.

Volvo - Beginning of the end for PHEV’s. - sammy1

Reading up on the Ex30 which I bet you cannot wait to get hands on the quick one. I would quite like a go myself.

Oh do give it a rest. As I understand it it is a discussion forum not a platform to constantly have a snipe at people. Yes I did criticise and still do the making of such cars but I am mature and experienced enough not to drive one like a boy racer as some would. The quickest thing I have owned is an S3 and that would terrify the pants of anyone if driven on its limits. Some of these new EVs are 2-3 seconds quicker and an entirely different animal

A lot of EVs are limited to a top speed of something less than 120mph. Perhaps the way they deliver their power should be restricted on the way up to 70.

I do not make the cars or the rules of the road but I can have an opinion on perhaps what is a safe driving 0-62 time

Volvo - Beginning of the end for PHEV’s. - alan1302

Yes I did criticise and still do the making of such cars but I am mature and experienced enough not to drive one like a boy racer as some would.

Most people can drive them properly as well. A few choose not to, same as with any car that they have.

Its just amusing to me you that you complain about them getting quicker all the time but are then interested in trying one of the cars you don't think should be allowed. Maybe you are trying to be ironic?

Volvo - Beginning of the end for PHEV’s. - John F

I suspect the price of a PHEV with its duplicated power systems is not longer worth the money spent for its usage. These type of cars have never made sense to me.

Nor me - but the superb Toyota GR010 hybrid has recently consistently trounced ICE cars at that supreme test of motor cars, the 24hr le Mans race, although Ferrari might well end its run of winning in about five hours time....