Rover 416 Si Heater Cold. - SteffJay
I have bought a Rover 416Si (second hand). The heater was working although not very well but now it is not getting hot at all, just cold air. I have also noticed that with the 5 position heater blower control, only positions 4 and 5 work, no 1, 2 & 3. The "booster" works fine. Can anyone tell me how i can rectify these problems as there is no work shop manuals that cover from "P" reg upwards on this model. I have checked the coolant for oil and the engine runs sooth and does not over heat, so my guess is the head gasket is ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Steff.
Rover 416 Si Heater Cold. - DL
I hate to say it but it sounds like a classic Rover fault here.......the first sign of a head gasket failure is a heater air-lock.

It won't overheat just yet.

My advice? Get it looked at ASAP somewhere where they know what they are doing before it goes big-style and costs a fortune to put right.

Don't say I didn't warn you....

PS. I hope I am proven wrong

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
For the heater fan speed problem please see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=17...4

--
Rover 416 Si Heater Cold. - No Do$h
Just check that you aren't suffering coolant loss elsewhere before getting worked up about the head gasket. Check the coolant level in the header tank and, when warm, work your way around the hoses checking for cool spots. If you have any it would suggest an airlock or low coolant.

Could be anything from a loose jubilee clip on a hose to a hole in the rad.
Also, check for tell-tale signs of coolant loss from the weak inlet manifold gasket..often mistaken for the head gasket.

--
Well, thank you DL for those kind words of inspireation.... lol. I have got the car in for a pressure test tomorrow (09/12/03) and not sure what the readings should be.. any ideas ?.. Also, is the "resistor pack" you mentioned in your other thread the same part number for my Rover ?. Thanks m8y...
JGH 10002 is the part you require (I think)

Easy to fit, aswell.
Please let us know how you get on. Fingers crossed for you.

--
OK, i will let you know for sure DL. Still don't know the pressure settings though, so its "take your word for it" time.... !!! L8rz M8y.
Operating pressure should be no more than 13psi, at least that's what the pressure cap is rated at.

8 out of 10 expansion tank caps are faulty, believe it or not.......they are now an item checked upon service-time, the problem is so great.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Just another question for you DL (the all knowing Orb)...... What is the optimum result of a compression test per cylinder ????? and will that tell me if the head gasket is on the way out ??????
Well, it is the head gasket that is on the way out....... £500 or there abouts to get it repaired.... Not a good prospect !!!!!
Nah, a compression test is not always conclusive, believe me.

I won't quote figures, but all four pressures recorded should be within 10% of each other in a healthy engine.

Who has diagnosed the Head Gasket?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Took it to a garrage and they tested the coolant presure, and cylinder compression test, hoses to heater hot, hoses from heater warm, heater selector working..... (i know about the resistor for the fan)... result, head gasket !!! Unless you know anthing else i could check......
No, not really.

The inlet manifold should be secured to the head by 7 nuts and not two nuts & 5 bolts...that might be worth checking.

Other than that, have the head removed and check for any fire-ring marks* in the head surface, indicating an earlier overheat condition rendering the head scrap as it looses its 'hardness' when overheated, leading to a duplicate failure some time later on.

* These circular indentations, if present, can be felt around the circumference of the combustion chamber on the head face. Slight marking is acceptable but scoring isn't.

Best of luck, any questions, feel free to ask here.
--
Well, its off to the Rover dealers on Friday (12/12/03) to have the work done... Wonder if there will be any warranty on the workmanship ?.... I'll let you know the out come DL. Thanks for your help, your a diamond Geeeeza (well, sort of) lol !! L8rz.
Rover 416 Si Heater Cold. - Civic8
Doesn`t the rover 416 have a valve fitted to inlet side of heater matrix if that siezes the selector on dash works but not the valve.I know the 414 has one not certain of the 416 could be that it is common?
Good point, might be worth checking, but I fear the damage has been done.

Rover Dealer? Have you rather large amounts of cash going spare? If so, I'll have some!

Find a decent Independant workshop is my advice. A reccomendation is the best way.
--
Well, the last news is..... Head is pitted and head gasket has blown. Was shown the result (as i asked to see it once the head was off)...... The end result ?, well Head skimmed, new head gasket, total cost £650 !!!!!!! bummer. I would like to take this oppertunity to thank EVERYBODY who contributed to this thread and gave me some pointers (most of which i did'nt know) towards the diagnosis.... It was all VERY much appreciated, apart from the £650 bill that is, lol. If anybody knows of a workshop manual for this model, i would like to hear about it. Once again, thanks ALL. SteffJay.
If it is the valve not working there will not be any other problems.when valve is in closed position the water flow bypasses the heater back to the cylinder head.would think that is the cause though.let me know.
You are correct when saying when the valve is shut the coolant bypasses the heater matrix.

Somehow I doubt this plastic valve would have caused any harm to the engine.
--
DL no it won`t cause any damage to engine.Unless the matrix or pipes that feed or take the water away are damage`d to the point they leak At the moment what has been said as far as blower wont work at certain levels will be down to resister pack on motor I may be wrong here.But most likely there is no proof the head gasket is faulty and even the rover dealer`s are really not giving it their best.I did find this on my own car some month`s ago I personaly found the problem and sorted myself but am a skilled motor mechanic.don`t trust any garage as you may well know.Most don`t know what they are talking about still that`s life try to help where poss
Please enlighten me as to the problem you found on your car, it might help.....

"Don't trust any garage" - I think you should rephrase that one...
--
I was surprised to find.That after taking my rover 420 gsi to my local garage they were not able to find the fault.It was suffering overcooling on motor way ie the temp guage was reading cold.the fuel consumption was bad.on a 100 mile trip it got through around 20 pound`s worth of petrol.they then advised me to send to main dealer.Of which I did at a cost of £50 the result was no fault found.Bearing in mind the car was under warranty from a non rover garage.but I still paid it.I replaced the thermostat myself.I did not have a problem after that.I should not have run all main dealer`s down I know I do apologise my wording should have been better please accept my apologies.
Yeah, the thermostat on those engines are very weak indeed.

GTS1101 is the part number
--
Well, the last news is..... Head is pitted and head gasket has blown. Was shown the result (as i asked to see it once the head was off)...... The end result ?, well Head skimmed, new head gasket, total cost £650 !!!!!!! bummer. I would like to take this oppertunity to thank EVERYBODY who contributed to this thread and gave me some pointers (most of which i did'nt know) towards the diagnosis.... It was all VERY much appreciated, apart from the £650 bill that is, lol. If anybody knows of a workshop manual for this model, i would like to hear about it. Once again, thanks ALL. SteffJay.
Thanks for the update.

Glad you were able to have it fixed before Crimbo!
--