What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Yaris Hybrid - Toyota dealer problems - johnnyrev

I haven’t posted here for a while, but am suitably irked today to start a new thread.

My wife’s Yaris was in for its three year service and MOT last week at our local main dealer. We told them it had a problem with the tyre pressure warning light, which was refusing to go out after a recent puncture, and we’d hoped they would sort it. Tyre pressures were all fine.

But we collected the car with the light still on, and we’re told that one of the sensors is probably faulty and will probably cost £180 to replace, and it could be all the sensors. Although they didn’t offer to fix it and couldn’t say where the fault was. We’d hoped they would sort it out under warranty.

The bigger worry is that they’ve also issued an MOT with the warning light on. And to add insult to injury the car has also lost the wheel arch liners from the two back wheels, which is very odd.

I’ve spoken to them this afternoon and am awaiting a call back. What do people think?

Yaris Hybrid - Toyota dealer problems - elekie&a/c doctor
Perhaps the tpms sensor was damaged by the tyre repair people. Can’t understand what’s happened to the wheel arch liners . No need to remove these at all , not even for the mot . Tpms light on for an mot is not always a fail . The tester has to determine there is a faulty system to fail it . How do you do that , if the tester is not allowed to dismantle the system for investigation?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 30/05/2023 at 17:31

Yaris Hybrid - Toyota dealer problems - sammy1

I thought Toyota had an extended warranty if you had regular servicing with them. Sounds as though you are given the brush off. They have a reader to check for wheel sensor faulty. Read thread for EV tyres for more on wheel sensors

Yaris Hybrid - Toyota dealer problems - Andrew-T
No need to remove these at all , not even for the mot .

I thought that no dismantling of any kind was permitted for a MoT :-)

Yaris Hybrid - Toyota dealer problems - blindspot

been there. they can identify the faulty tpm tyre. could be snapped valve. tyre fitter fault maybe. could be a flat battery. toyota have the equipment to register the valve to the system . the system only allows 4 sensors. i would wait till the tyre needs replacing and have them fit it with new valve. how old is the car. they told me that the really don't have many cars with this fault, but they will have in future years. kwik fit can do it but they tarrange for equipment reader to be brought in from head office

Yaris Hybrid - Toyota dealer problems - bathtub tom
We told them it had a problem with the tyre pressure warning light, which was refusing to go out after a recent puncture

There's a reset button somewhere that most folk can't find, you'll have to RTFM. My 2014 Yaris doesn't have rear wheel arch liners, although a main dealer did manage to 'lose' my GB plate.

We told them it had a problem with the tyre pressure warning light, which was refusing to go out after a recent puncture

There's a reset button somewhere that most folk can't find, you'll have to RTFM. My 2014 Yaris doesn't have rear wheel arch liners, although a main dealer did manage to 'lose' my GB plate.

All cars with the TPMS will have the reset option if it won't reset you have a problem. I don't know want has gone on with the Toyota dealer may be they just ran out if time. Whatever very poor communication with the customer. I personally hate having to deal with garages, The modern car is just too complicated for its own good. Unless you have what must be an expensive TPMS reader you cannot tell what the problem is. You would think that your car at the very least would be able to tell you which wheel has the problem

It is an MOT fail if the warning wont reset

Edited by sammy1 on 30/05/2023 at 23:24

I’m still waiting for the dealer to phone back. I suspect they did run out of time, which is fine if they then kept the car in or booked us back in for another day. But I don’t have much sympathy as they knew it had the problem as we told them when we booked it in.

There is a reset button hidden in the drivers footwell but that doesn’t work to reset the light. And this morning the car is urgently beeping which is very annoying!

if the light keeps blinking beyond 3. it means the fault is with the sensor

it won't be possible to reset

Yaris Hybrid - Toyota dealer problems - Heidfirst

But we collected the car with the light still on, and we’re told that one of the sensors is probably faulty and will probably cost £180 to replace, and it could be all the sensors.

Iirc the official part typically lists ~£60 (or did pre-inflation madness) but 3rd party sensors are available much cheaper (usually via a tyre company).

Yaris Hybrid - Toyota dealer problems - daveyK_UK
Surely this is covered under the Toyota warranty?

It’s not a wear and tear item

if the valve was broken by trye fitter .it gets them off the hook

if the battery has faded thats wear and tear

blindspot - cheers, I didn’t consider those points.

It’s a tough one for Toyota owners, as the price main dealers charge for tyres is often way in excess of the wider market.

For example, Ford focus estate, 2 new premium matching front tyres via Asda tyres website for £180 fitted.
Ford Evans Halshaw quoted £265 for the exact same job.

i guess if they told you which tyre had the fauly sensor,when the tyre is worn out you could ask them to fit the new tyre you supply when replacing the valve. This already happend to me. i must say i found the main dealer most helpful at toyota.. this a problem they will get far worse in coming years

We’ve been back to the dealer today to get things sorted. It turns out that Kwik Fit had fitted a sensor which wasn’t compatible. The dealer have been helpful in that they’ve given us the sensor that Kwik Fit fitted and have written on the paperwork that it’s not suitable, so I will be off to Kwik Fit later ….

TPMS is a relatively new system on cars. They work on a frequency and any new sensor fitted must be the same as the rest. I think you may find that Kwik Fit will need a Toyota one in any case. A phone call to KF may save you a trip. Another thing with these is that the valves are special and inter changeable but the sensors are not Whatever more money than a car without them!

Quick update

Toyota CHR on 18 plate went in for service and MOT at main dealer to get the benefit of the 10 year warranty they are offering.
Tyre pressure fault had been on the dash board for a few months since puncture and tyre replacement, tyres are all fine and correct pressure but the reset did not work.
Toyota dealer replaced 2 sensors free of charge so car could pass mot.

Service wasn’t cheap, it was £275 for an intermediate service but has probably paid for itself in this instance,

Car passed mot no issue and now has a fresh 12 months of warranty,

again toyota dealership seems to come good.

but tpms is going to be pain as the miles roll up