New City Rover - autumnboy
Well I have been driving the new CityRover for the last few days.

My opinion of these, is they should rename them as (deleted), I have never driven a car as bad as these, the gearbox winds just like the old \'CityMetro\', the suspension bottoms on bad ruts in the road at the front and the list goes on. If you thought the Perodua\'s and the Alto\'s are bad, then you\'re wrong.

It could be the downfall of Rover after their good recovery.

Autumnboy

[Less of the swearing please.] DD
New City Rover - DL
How have you been able to drive one of these?

Pre-production example?

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
New City Rover - Phoenicks
As you can tell from my previous City Rover thread i am awaiting the first reports on this car eagerly.

1-0 to phoenicks by the first report it seems. ;-)
New City Rover - 3500S
I'd like to know how you got one too, I didn't think they had their sales launch yet. I thought it was the end of November.
New City Rover - NitroBurner
It looks a bit sad & pathetic to me...
New City Rover - MrWibble
See entry in car by car breakdown.
New City Rover - Rudolf
"the suspension bottoms on bad ruts in the road at the front".

Oh dear, is that the suspension "improvements" for the UK market?
I'm sure they have jolly good ruts in India.
Rudolf
New City Rover - Armitage Shanks{P}
I overtook one the other day and didn't much care for the slabs and lumps of black plastic cladding on it. Early models of the Ka used to have some black plastic on them and they looked way better once they went over to 'body colour' plastic IMHO. Does anybody know how much the base model costs in India vis a vis the base price here, allowing for taxes and shipping?
New City Rover - andymc {P}
Are we talking about the City Rover here or the Rover Streetwise? The Streetwise has huge plastic bumpers and (I think) jacked-up suspension, all so the 25 can look like a mini off-roader. The City Rover looks like an unremarkable supermini.
andymc
New City Rover - andymc {P}
Rover Streetwise? Sounds like the a hippie lovechild whose parents hope he won\'t be bullied.
Dang edit button\'s stopped working again!
andymc
New City Rover - googolplex
"It could be the downfall of Rover after their good recovery."

Since when has a car had to be well reviewed and good to drive in order to achieve big sales. The old metro didn't sell too badly and that was always slated from what I remember...
Splodgeface
New City Rover - Armitage Shanks{P}
Andy MC, thanks for your input! I saw something small and ugly and covered with black plastic plus a Rover badge and assumed, perhaps wrongly, that it was the new Indian built item. Whatever, it did not look good!
The new so called CityRover has not got any black bits of plastic as the Rover 25 has, known as the Streetwise.

The CityRover looks like the Peugeot ad on TV, where they use a Morris Cowley to make a 206, but this a TATA.

With todays manufacturing of such close tolerances, you don't expect noisey gearboxes like the Mini/Metro of the 60's.

Autumnboy

New City Rover - Morris Ox
Still not alone in wondering how you managed to get a drive in one. Not the style of assessment I'd expect from those who have been allowed in them so far...
I'm sorry, I can't tell how I have been allowed to drive these cars.

You all know that it is really a 'Tata Indica' although its been Roverised and they only cost approx. £4500.00 in India.

They also have a diesel version with a Italian 1.4cc engine, which is also supplied to peugeot.

One good thing that may come out of this, is that if some unkown reason the sales exceed their wild dreams. They are to manufacture these cars here in Britain.

Autumnboy

New City Rover - LongDriver {P}
ahhh good old Tata.

A massive multidisciplinary Indian company.

I have the pleasure (?) of having to use them to programme control systems for a certain widely-used process from which we ALL benefit (the bit in between flushing your loo and the sea/river).

They aren't very good at that either...
Yes, you can. And if you did drive it, you didn't drive it very far, did you?
New City Rover - king arthur
They also have a diesel version with a Italian 1.4cc engine,
which is also supplied to peugeot.

The petrol engine is actually derived from the diesel version, which apparently is based on a Peugeot unit. As far as I know, Tata makes its own engines - the only Italian connection with this car that I know of is that it was designed by IDEA who also did the Punto.
One good thing that may come out of this, is that
if some unkown reason the sales exceed their wild dreams. They
are to manufacture these cars here in Britain.
Autumnboy

I think it far more likely that if the car is any sort of success, it will lead to further collaboration between MG Rover and Tata, and more small Rovers being made in India rather than moving production to Longbridge. I do know that the decision not to use Rover powertrains in the car will be "reviewed" after a certain period of time.
New City Rover - ajit
The engine is not derived from any other manufacturer, it was designed by AVL in Austria.

I actually drove one of these cars for two days. If and when you get the chance to have a drive in one of these, you'll see what I've and others have said, to be right.

If you want any more info about the Tata you could go to this website :- www.dailymirror.lk/2003/06/02/ft/4.html, this website and others mention that if the sales in the UK are good then they will assembled/manufactured here.

Autumnboy

New City Rover - 3500S
autumnboy: how can I put this simply.

I don't believe you.
I'm back, well I hate to say this but this week I've seen and drove the new Fiat Panda. And I have say that the Rover has not got a chance!

The Panda is far better with its refinements ie: Electric sunroof on certain models, fitted radio/cd (not a retro fit), climatic heater controls on certain models, for less money.

Autumnboy

Well you'll see what I have said, is right when they launch them. Won't you!
I have to say 3500S thats its a little 'off' to say - 'i dont believe you'. How do you know? Just because you have an association with Rover and some people there doesnt mean someone else hasnt got better contacts or opportunity to drive this vehicle. Its not a pre production Ferrari is it?!

Having read Autocar, my impression of the Cityrover is even more negative. All they could say is peppy performance, good paintjob. How bad is that?! The roadtester (chris harris?) says its a good effort on Rovers behalf, but he pretty much slates thae car. He applauded their effort but taking the car in isolation of its own merits and against the competition i dont think it has a hope.

The dashboard was awful - dated, poor quality, cheap and nasty come to mind. Also how high was that steering wheel set?! Why has it got a 125mph speedo? The speedo goes up in 10 mph digits but the last figures go 110,120,125. Why? It cant do 125. Is it to give the impression it can go faster. Also it seems they couldnt afford blue paint on the heater controls...

The gearbox is supposed to be rubbish, his summary of the construction and design is pretty funny (put together by a child with glue....). The ride and steering are poor.

Its far too expensive (especially now Fiat pulled the Panda out of the bag). Its has limited equipment.

You cant even get a discount from a dealer! Citroen show the way on this one.

But at least it has good paint.... ;-(
New City Rover - Garethj
I hope (being patriotic) that it's better than the opposition, but it's not good enough to only sell in your home market to people who will buy British. Maybe the car will do ok in Britain, but can you see it being good enough to beat VW, Peugeot etc on their home ground?

Gareth
New City Rover - 3500S
I do know that only 25 City Rover Style's (top of the range) were released after a press release to journalists that they were available to be driven. They offically went on sale on Monday.

So unless autumnboy is a journalist with some standing in the motor business then I don't believe him.

Phoenicks, if you are going to be objective, then be objective, what the AutoCar article also said was it had class leading space, could seat five adults in comfort and had a peppy engine. The gearbox did come in for criticism but no-one has made any claims this is a total class leader but it was the quality of the gearchange rather than any quality doubts about the gearbox, remember this car has to be reliable on the unsafe Indian roads. Also, I don't recall in the article that the steering or ride come in for criticism, in fact, I think the words used are functional rather than any superlatives.

As for the steering wheel height that's your criticism not the reviewer in AutoCar.

Also, nearly all cars under £9000 have compromises, interior dash is usually one and I've sat in some total howlers like the Punto with its floor mounted electric window switches. This isn't a £10K supermini, it's bigger than most £10K supermini's with a bigger engine, its engineered for tough driving conditions and likely to be reliable. But it hasn't got soft touch plastics, that may detract from esthetics but this is a car sold to get you from A to B.

And my speedo in my car goes to 150mph Phoenicks but there's a 120mph restrictor on the engine, and your point is what exactly? You are scraping the barrel on criticisms if that is one of them.

The Panda looks like a good car too but it's smaller and you get a 1.2L that James May in TG last week said was very underpowered. A CityRover has a 1.4L and does 0-60 in 11 seconds.

The AutoCar article finished by saying that they were worried that MGR had gone mad by doing this and were worried it was a bad car when MGR first broke the news. AutoCar said that it's not a bad car and quite a clever idea at that. It has things it does very well for the money and things it doesn't do well.

Remember the sales targets are 20,000 a year for the whole of Europe, that's half of what the 25 sells so we'll see.
New City Rover - Garethj
To answer the first of 3500s points, it is possible to drive a car before the public and press, the automotive engineers get to drive development, pre-production and production cars before they get to the press. Even the first tier suppliers usually get their hands on the cars at some stage.

Gareth
New City Rover - No Do$h
Enough.

Let's keep this a bit more pleasant, shall we? Close to the line at the moment, please don't let the thread degenerate.

No Dosh, aka Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
So he may well be a journalist, or have some standing in the motor business - you dont know. I think we should give everyone on here who posts the benefit of the doubt until proven other wise.

I am objective. There were far more negatives in the article than positives. Also the summary box to the side was very brief, but did not rate anything very highly, nor said much complimentary.

I dont care whether it does or does not claim to be a class leader. It should be a good product in its own right. not necessarily in comparison to other. Also who ever questions the build quality of a gearbox in a test????? They always question the quality and feel of a gearchange, so your point is well, pointless.

Regards the steering wheel (and unfortunately i dont have the article in front of me) there is a comment regards the steering wheel i believe and its awkard postioning. If someone could tell me otherwise i'm open to that.

I couldnt care less whether its good for the indian market or not. This car is now being sold for the british market. And thats what matters.

Regards your thoughts on the interior quality, it was particularly scathing for this car. Also comparisons with the punto and floor mounted electric window switches are interesting - at least that car had electric windows!!

My point of the speedo wasnt a complaint. It was a query as to its relevance. Its called 'just an observation'.

I have to repeat - stop judging the car on its basis of where it came from as an excuse, nor its component origins. Judge it on its own individual basis. On those merits its a pretty poor car.

The Autocar article had far more negatives than positives, its positivity about the car wasnt really about the car itself, but on Rover bringing a small car to the UK from India. The car itself was pretty much described as poor.

I'm sure Rover will say they sold 20,000+, but how many of these will be dealer owned pre-registered vehicles. Remember the Rover 25 toppping the sales charts just after Phoenix took over with exactly the same practise.
New City Rover - carl_a
If you compare the City Rover to all it competition then its just to expensive, look at the Daihatsu Charade £6000 (5 door £6500)that even Clarkson liked,it comes as standard with
Central Locking, electric front windows,electric power steering, driver & passenger airbag, ABS with EBD and has a 0-62 of 12.2
It also has a combined MPG of 58.9 where the city rover is 37

You would have to spend £8345 to get the same sort of spec on a city rover.
New City Rover - No Do$h
Just to save anyone else saying it...

"Ah, but the City Rover has a bigger engine."

BIG deal. The cards are stacking up against the newcomer it would seem.
Couldnt agree more. The sum of the cars parts dont make it even average in my opinion.

I have to ask 3500S, taking into account your views on its ability to withstand indian roads, its performance, its Ital design (think they ruined the reputation with this one!)and the other things about it you purvey as positive, would you still be so praising of it if it was a Perodua, Suzuki or Daihatsu?
New City Rover - No Do$h
oh good grief......

;o)
Honestly No Dosh, i wasnt trying to goad, its just we're discussing the merits of the car, but i'm trying to ascertain whether its the car that he likes or just the company. Its the sort of thing you'd chat about down the pub!

I have absolutely nothing at all against 3500S. I respect his dedication to the Rover cause (lost one thought it may be ;-) ), and i like people who have a strong sense of opinion. Just because we disagree doesnt mean i hate him.

This is a car discussion, and it is good to see something that gets the forum livened up a bit rather than 900 posts on car mats... ;-)
New City Rover - No Do$h
There's nowt to dislike, seems a thoroughly pleasant chap.

I'm off to scowl out the window at the slime green Punto the garage gave me as a courtesy car whilst they service my Alfa. I need a break.
New City Rover - 3500S
Well, put it this way when the Perodua Kelisa is likened as the nearest car you can buy to the real Mini not the German abomination on wheels then yes, I would extol it virtues, in fact I just have.

If I had to choose an uber-cheap car with rock bottom running costs then that\'s where I\'d look. This is 15p/mile (including depreciation) driving, that\'s 1985 levels of running costs.

Personally though I think the need to get to cruising speed (I drive 80% of my miles on the motorway) then I\'d have to have a larger cc engine. A super excitable 3-cylinder is not going to last against the larger bore and stroke of a 1.4L.

The trouble is with the CityRover I think is this.... It\'s made in India, therefore, ego, it\'s pink fluffy dice.

I\'ve had the incredible luck to spend some time there over quite a few years and I know why things like the Hindustan Ambassador are still on the roads there. It\'s not that they have modern cars, they have loads, it\'s not that they love old looking cars although they have a certain charm. The reason they like them is because they are mega-reliable, durable and they can be fixed with a set of four spanners, a screwdriver and a large hammer. Indian roads are largely non-tarmac\'d. The larger roads are but after that, it\'s dirt track.

Any car that is made for the Indian market that sells and survives there is going to survive the rather more parochial surroundings of the UK.

And that\'s the City Rover\'s secret.

Ok, the interior looks bargain basement, this is a bargain basement car, albeit a large one, it\'s very large inside, with a relatively large engine. The City Rover doors open to 90o of the body which means you can get stuff in through the doors you can only get in through the boot. It might not have everything and there is the Fiat Panda to compete with.

The difference is, the Panda is a bit smaller with a smaller engine. I keep going on about this, but there aren\'t many large, group 4 insurance cars with a 1.4L engine.
New City Rover - Garethj
In the same way that the Maestro was a big bodyshell car with a small engine and cheap price?

Unfortunately, the danger is that if it isn't in a similar class to the Focus/Golf or Fiesta/Corsa then it's going to be compared unfavourably in quite a lot of things. Magazines (and the public) always compare with what else you can get.

Trying to make a mid-class car is tricky, but the major players seem to have done ok with making a good car in a class which already exists.
New City Rover - carl_a
We will all find out how well the city rover does in a few years time, as history will show us. I'm sure every one wants Rover to do well but I can't see the City Rover having great sales.

What does Rover expect the euro ncap test results to be for this car ?
New City Rover - PoloGirl
Almost every daytime TV show I've seen this week (and it's almost the end of the semester so I've seen a lot of TV while working hard on not doing assignments) has had a CityRover to give away.

They clearly have a target audience in mind, and are raising awareness of the car.... but to have them available as prizes in so many places looks like they can't even give them away!

I wonder how much I could sell it for if I won one...?
Just looking back through AutumnBoy's previous posts, it would seem he has some connection with Fiat, and therefore possibly has a vested interest in seeing the Panda succeed and the CityRover fail?
New City Rover - Hawesy1982
The difference is, the Panda is a bit smaller with a smaller engine. I keep going on about this, but there aren't many large, group 4 insurance cars with a 1.4L engine.

Peugeot 306 1.4l is group 4 insurance
To put you all out of your miseries, yes I have connections with the motor trade, no I'm not connected with the media.

When was the last time you sat in a Punto (3500s), the electric window switches are on the dashboard not on the floor, are you not confusing your self.

The only way you are going to see who's right and who's wrong is to wait till, they are in the showrooms for you to have a test drive and compare, a rover (with a british flag on its boot when its made in INDIA) which will cost more, than your Perodua, Panda or any other car in the same range. Also bear in mind that these cars are sold in India for £4000.00.

And no I don't have a fiat of any kind or ever had. Always been Fords.

Autumnboy
I did think the Union flag on the tailgate was a little ironic! But who knows, we may get versions later on with K-series engines, so it might end up with some British content.
New City Rover - v0n
Yesterday I had a chance to have a close look inside CityRover at Whitehouse in Dartford. Despite the whooping £8000+ pricetag on the window the inside of the car was so bad I thought I was looking at some preproduction beta. Trim mounting imperfections as thick as a thumb, toys r us plastics, drivers airbag that looked completely misplaced and partialy exploded sticking out at least centimeter out of the steering wheel. It looked like you were supposed to insert coins in all the holes before ride or something. The car with its pure nineties design looked like a bad joke compared to £7995 Almeras and Micras outside (Whitehouse deals with Rovers/MG and Nissan from the same courtyard). I have admitt I don't think I've seen anything like it since launch of Lada Samara. Good luck to Tata but that thing couldn't even save Yugo let alone Rover.
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Canon Fodder

Pretty damning review of the City Rover in AutoExpress today - these are a few extracts....

TATA badges are visible.............. interior......look closely........lack of attention to detail...........hasn't improved on showroom models.

................exposed bolts and screwheads, and component quality was poor...plastic sun visors .....flimsy ashtray didn't feel as though they would last long...........such faults can't be ignored.

............engine is more lively than that in any other car in the class,.........swift and entertaining enough for most people..

.............gearbox isn't great..........extra for anti-lock brakes,.....................comfortable driving position.

.............a lack of quality takes the shine off the CityRover..............can't compete at this price level.

CF
AutoExpress review of CityRover - No Do$h
Is that the sound of pounding feet as 3500S and Phoenicks run for this thread?

I had better hold the door open...

:o)
AutoExpress review of CityRover - peterb
What Car said all the same stuff. It also said economy was worse than some cars in the Focus/Golf class.

It's a shame. If they were to price it a little more realistically, they might do quite well. It seems they haven't learned from the absurd 200/400/600 pricing fiasco.

Incidentally, the dearest model is only £1k cheaper than a MG-ZR!!!
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Phoenicks
Theres nothing new i can say that i havent already said, which smugly is exactly what the magazines are now saying....;-)
AutoExpress review of CityRover - MichaelR
I'd have thought that despite the quality this car would make excellent competition for the Perodua end of the market. Price the car at £4995 rising to £5995 for the top model and they'd sell loads of them.

Instead, Rover seem to have decided that it would be better instead to compete with the Yaris, Fiesta, 206 etc. Oh dear, what a terrible mistake..
AutoExpress review of CityRover - 3500S
Hmm, it was a pre-production version which AutoExpress did point out although Mike Rutherford in his 'comment' didn't.

The Mail On Sunday Motoring journo got a production version, the same as AutoCar and their reviews were totally different. The Mail on Sunday perhaps edging it as a more positive review.

I thought the AutoExpress article was strange when considering how they were positively oozing over the prospect of a turbo charged version of the same car.
AutoExpress review of CityRover - v0n
Hmm, it was a pre-production version which AutoExpress did point out although Mike Rutherford in his 'comment' didn't.

Actually, you're wrong, in the very first paragraph of the review we read:
"Now the car has hit dealers and we have driven a showroom model to see if it lives up to the prototype's hype"

Seriously, go to your nearest Rover dealer and see the trim horror for yourself.
Well, I must have a pre production copy of this week's Auto Express on my desk right here in front of me.

Oh and another thing, it's not an exlcusive.

The Mail on Sunday last week had the first drive of a showroom car and they loved it.

AutoExpress review of CityRover - NitroBurner
Spot the dog...
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Phil I
Have a look on the cover of current Classic Cars 3500S. Will warm the cockles of your heart.
Really? What's on the front page? I normally get Practical Classics.
AutoExpress review of CityRover - carl_a
The City Rover short review and data are now on the whatcar web site, it doesn't make great reading( 2 stars out of 5).

I agree with the comments before about lower the price, perhaps a £5000 basic and then a model for £5500 with more bits, top of the range for £6200. If they did this they might sell loads, buying at the current price would be mad.
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Phil I
Not suggesting you buy the book 3500S Just look at cover. Is a slightly modified 3.5 going into l/h bend at a rate of knots. Theres a peculiar square thing mounted on the grille. Might be some sort of radar detector??
AutoExpress review of CityRover - v0n
Well, I must have a pre production copy of this week's Auto Express on my desk right here in front of me.

So, if I understand correctly - Rutherford is not telling the truth, in your issue of the review they don't test showroom model (in which case could you kindly quote first two sentences of the review?) and The Mail (on Sunday) is now motor industry authority?
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Welliesorter
Another review at tinyurl.com/xuq7

To be fair, I don't think I've seen this site strongly dislikes anything.
AutoExpress review of CityRover - peterb
"To be fair, I don't think I've seen this site strongly dislike anything."

It read like a warmed-over press release to me. I got the feeling they hadn't actually driven it....
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Welliesorter
It read like a warmed-over press release to me. I
got the feeling they hadn't actually driven it....

You could be right. However the other reviews on the site don't necessarily read like that. The site seems to be a source of off-the-shelf reviews for other publications (I found that via www.csma.uk.com ). I think they tend to avoid being contentious because they need to be suitable for a variety of clients and readers.
AutoExpress review of CityRover - bradgate
The CityRover starts at £6500. If you go along to Motorpoint with that sum of money in your hand they will sell you a new Toyota Yaris 1.0 3 dr.

OK, so with the Rover you get a bigger (but only slightly more powerful) engine and 2 extra doors.

Surely it is inconceivable that anyone with any sernse would choose the Rover ahead of the Yaris?
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Mr Fox
335,635 Indian Rupee = 4,279.78 British Pound - this is what the Tata Indica 2000 costs in India, not that much cheaper than here, and in real terms a hell of a lot more.....

see www.cybersteering.com/cbmain/smlcars/ind2000.html for a review of said vehicle.
AutoExpress review of CityRover - autumnboy
Well you'll all be able to try these Indian/British City's soon and voice your own opinions of this car.

Don't forget, what you will see in the showrooms would have been double checked for Quality, free of any flaws etc. It will not be the same after a couple of months, when sales start to supply the buyers.

Autumnboy
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Marc
Oh dear. Another example of Austin Rover, sorry MGR, badge engineering someone else's design with that "wood and chrome kickplate" Rover look we all supposedly adore and then pricing it in the wrong segment. They never learn. The car buying public have.

3500S - I love the P6 and P5 coupe but I don't feel that MGR has anything in common with the Solihull based car company which designed those cars in the 60s. Rover just happened to be the name that some marketing man in the 80s decided to call AR after the Austin name became "tarnished"
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Garethj
Marc, I was at the Birmingham motor show back around 1990 (hazy memory) when they dropped the Austin name and I first saw the Maestro and Montego with Rover badges. Ugh!

It's a bit easy to pick on Rover for doing the re-badge thing, but they do seem to have done it more than most over the last 30 years.

We're not in the market for something as small as the CityRover but as an automotive engineer I'd like to pop along to a dealer and see what they're like. Seems like lots of other people would like to do the same?

Gareth
AutoExpress review of CityRover - carl_a
This weeks Autocar has a bit more about the City Rover (including a bit in somebody's column about the price being to high), they also have a group test between the Matiz, Charade & Panda.
AutoExpress review of CityRover - pd
The column is by Steve Cropley who's views I usually trust and is normally pretty positive on things MGR. He's unusually scathing - critisiing the handling, steering, finish and most of all the ludricous pricing comparing it with the mid-90's decision to attempt to sell the 45 against the Mondeo & Vectra.
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Phoenicks
Having been away for a few days and not able to read Autocar or Autotrader, i have now returned and read them. And feel vindicated in my original and ongoing comments about how rubbish this car is.

Its just an appalling car.

So 3500S, what are your views now that the press has roundly slaughtered it?
AutoExpress review of CityRover - Dynamic Dave
George Fowler (MotorMouth, Daily Star motoring critic) has finally reviewed it.

To quote "This Rover's a real Dog. They have just started to sell what is, beyond doubt, one of the worst cars I have ever, ever driven. The worst car is appalling Indian built off-roader the Tata Safari. Now along comes so-called supermini, the CityRover, which is so unbelievably bad, it runs the Safari a close second."

Sorry, can't find a link to George's article on the Star website.

City Rover versus Rover 100 - dodo
Went to the Rover dealer in my mum in laws mint Rover 100 (114 GSi, just over 40,000 miles and a peach to drive. The City Rover reminds me of an MFI desk I put together years ago! Sure its quite nippy (so is the old Rover 100) but its about £2000 overpriced. In all honesty this car is a disgrace to Rover and should not have been released until it was thoroughly sorted. Think I'll advise her to keep the Rover 100 or visit the Vauxhall dealer to look at one of the new Corsa 1.3 diesels.
City Rover versus Rover 100 - carl_a
www.4car.co.uk has their review of the City Rover up. O dear
City Rover versus Rover 100 - Phoenicks
Whats the trade/industry view of the CityRover HJ? and whats the anticipated long term values looking like?
One thing no one has noticed or mentioned, is that these Rovers only have one Air bag and thats in the centre of the steering wheel.

Are we suppose to be moving forward with refinements or not, for your money.

Autumnboy
New City Rover - matt35 {P}
When will this thread be added to 'Road Rubbish?
Matt35.
New City Rover - arnold2
any VW dealer wll sell you a Polo for well under £8K ... :-(((
New City Rover - arnold2
and you can get base 1.4 Corollas from the brokers for under 8K too ... with better fuel consumption.... gosh, what were Rover thinking of ... 8k for THAT ?
3500S where are you?!!! You were there whenever there was a negative comment about the CityRover, but now its been well and truely proven as a complete load of rubbish you seemed to have slunk off not to return to comment further and defend the little thing.
New City Rover - Marc
I noticed that today's Business section carries a quote from John Towers along the lines of "why did we bother". There's also mention of a new £58m damages claim against MGR
The claim for £58m will come to nothing. John Towers' comment was regarding the intense scrutiny that MG-R comes under and the endless negative reporting that the company has to endure, seemingly unlike any other car maker. E.g. this thread - there are plenty of other cars on the market that do not offer the best package compared to rivals, but are there threads about them with 85 replies?
New City Rover - RoadDevil
What is the point of this car? The final death throws of a company that was mortally wounded in about 1975? Why would anyone buy this when even the Rover 75 can't sell and is actually a reasonable car. Is it the fact that you can gurantee the the worlds worst residuals and the possibility the whole company is going to go belly up leaving dishonoured warranties and no parts availbility.
New City Rover - ajit
If you look at the reports the main issues are :

1: a stiff gearbox
2: mediocre interiors
3: a tad outdated.

True the car is 5 years old. The main issue is the price which is way too high. Remember people are willing to overlook shortcomings if the price is right (i.e. Lada/ Proton). Come on Rover - correct the price
New City Rover - No Do$h
It took a fair few years to correct the price on the 400 and 200. Please let them get it right sooner on this!

A rapid response and a cheque for the difference to every punter that has already paid should do the trick.
New City Rover - El Hacko
hope they don't need the profits to provide even fatter pension fund to the top management - Daily Teleg Finance team has performed real public service by revealing what's going on at Rover, and one result is sales resistance - sadly, I guess it doesn't matter how cheap they now make the CityRover.
New City Rover - Kingpin
Agree with everything said - generally I think Rover are in a real mess. The City Rover is too little too late, consumers are more sophisticated today than when the Metro/100 was at it's peak 12 years ago. They want space, good kit and dynamics even in small city cars. The Cityrover has no such chance at it's current price and is more in keeping with Suzuki Alto or Perodua models which are way cheaper and do not pretend to be anything they are not. Unless it sells like mad and is a national success it is doomed (remember 1980 and the Mini Metro launch with Maggie giving glowing praise, there was thousands on the roads in the early 80's with hardly any foreign competition. Things are so different today but the Cityrover feels similar to it's 23yr old ancestor).
Re their other vehicles - 25,45,75,MG - there is a whiff of badge engineering and desperation over the hot MG bodykit specials. I cannot see them surviving.
New City Rover - carl_a
As I was reading the review of the Fiat Panda today in a Sunday paper I came across a bit about ABS brakes, apparently by July 2004 new cars will have ABS fitted by law.

So if true the spec of the City rover and quite a few other small cars will have to be changed in the next few months, will we see any price increases. Some cars (Perodua Kelisa) don't even have ABS as an option at the moment.
New City Rover - peterb
"apparently by July 2004 new cars will have ABS fitted by law"

Oh dear. Has anyone told TVR?
New Rover - not so bad after all? - googolplex
Having followed with some interest the recent and well-utilised backroom thread which seemed universally to slate this car, I'm interested in today's telegraph review which seems, on the whole, to be quite complimentary about the thing...
For the sake of the 'British' car industry, I hope it sells well!
Splodgeface
New Rover - not so bad after all? - Civic8
I haven`t checked any of the paper`s and so cannot say either way on this car.I have been a driver of rover`s since around 1985 and havent had any serious problem`s with any one of them.I did check out the webb site of the co that is making them under rover`s eye www.tata.com it has although been reworked for UK.Been a big success in india.And some other part`s of the world.bearing in mind some british company`s are going abroad now to cut cost`s.good or bad it doe`s not mean the car won`t be any less a success than built in this country.I will like most be interested to see how it gets on but I don`t think any one at the moment can say it won`t make it.Not saying it will not saying it won`t public is the best way to find out.wait and see
New Rover - not so bad after all? - seeds
The question to consider might be why on earth Rover did it.
I mean,they have a perfectly credible engine in the K series,even more credible if they developed it a bit,and they could have used the 200 floorpan,also developed a bit.
A suitably space efficient and not entirely gormless body would have taken about a week if they cut out the stupid clinics,which have yet to deliver anything but lemons.
As to cost,well,I am one of those who knows damned well that these things dont ,and, indeed,cannot cost trillions to develop to production.If they cut out the expenditure on follies like sticking great idle American V8s into unsuspecting Rover 75s,let alone sticking MG badges on everything,they could have produced a nice roomy little vehicle of adequate comfort and performance for the old gits who are going to drive them.
As it is it looks,and,apparently, drives,like exactly what it is.
This is just not good enough,even Ford have had to accept that cynical marketing is not working any more,so Rover have no chance at all.
It might have been even better to spend the money slightly lenghthening the 75 wheelbase,taking about 150 kilos of weight out of it,and constructing a suitable two litre engine,both in petrol and deisel form.
You do all this with software these days,perhaps they dont know this.
Robin
New Rover - not so bad after all? - slowdriver
Having seen the CityRover I think its ok. I prefer it to the Panda on the outside, the interior could be better, and would agree that that the price is too high, each model should be at least £500 cheaper.

In many ways it could be seen as a good move by MGR, they get a small car for minimal development costs. Clearly with most of MGR's efforts being directed towards the Rover 45 replacement they would be unlikely to afford the time and costs required to develop a new small car from scratch at this stage.

However if the build quality and reliability isnt up to scratch for western standards then it could come back and haunt them.

In the long term there may be a good opportinity for MGR to progress their ties with Tata so that they can jointly develop new small cars which are much closer to the standards that MGR should be capable of.
Well I thought I'd bring this thread back to life.

This is the weekend when you will be able to have a look at the new Panda and compare it to the the so called New City Rover (when the Tata version is five years old).

As we have all seen, Rover has sold some land at Longbridge, have they done this to pay for their transfer to India like everyone else is doing, leaving the UK?

You'll never know they may have the 'Customer Service' call centre already set-up there.
New City Rover - Burnout2
MGR will be dead as a volume producer within five years - there's no capital for model development (£40m is a joke in this context), everything except the 75/ZT is utterly outdated, and the City Rover is a prime example of the kind of strategic alliance that only devalues the brand.

Had the City Rover been based on a world-class small car like the Honda Jazz then the car, and the company, might have had a chance - but that particular alliance was thrown away a long time ago.
New City Rover - Wilco {P}
The thread hits the century mark.

More posts than City Rovers sold maybe......:-)
In follow up to your post Artful - how many City Rovers have been sold? Anyone know or have a clue?
The thread hits the century mark.
More posts than City Rovers sold maybe......:-)

Actually no. It was launched towards the end of November, and the website www.autin-rover.co.uk reports 146 cars sold in November. There are around 300 MG Rover dealers, some have reported selling no CityRovers at all and some have reported that it is selling well - 5 or 6 in a month. Take the average as 3 cars per dealer, and that would mean around 900 cars sold in December. Bear in mind that MG Rover has not yet started promoting the car as supplies are restricted currently - the factory in Pune is having trouble making enough as there is a waiting list for Indicas in India.
New City Rover - Blue {P}
They've started promoting them round our way now, I've heard some radio adverts, no tv yet though.

Blue
New City Rover - Blue {P}
I think they developed the TF with around £14 million, however, they did have the original MGF to work from. But they made that £14 million go a long way it would seem.

Blue
Back to the sales - is the 300 cars pre-registered as dealer demo's or private sales? i bet we'll never know....
New City Rover - peterb
"I think they developed the TF with around £14 million"

They seem to be good at taking an existing car and improving it (witness 45 vs ZS). But that's not the same thing as developing a new model.
New City Rover - DavidVince
If anyone seen the new tata indica - with the new looks and trim, mg-rover should have waited!
also, the new estate version released at the motor show looks brilliant, and to get an estate for 7 grand or less - is to irresistable. the only like minded one where were forced to buy 4 of, due to the small size of the market was the skoda fabia, but the 1.2 engine in it is awful.
please Rover, realise a lack of competiton in this market and sell it! your badge is still better than skoda.
New City Rover - Garethj
.... your badge is still better than skoda.

Hmmm, not sure whether to rise to this bait or not! I'll be diplomatic and say "To all new car buyers today?"

Gareth
New City Rover - Welliesorter
"To all new car buyers
today?"

Some of us have already voted with our wallets. It gives me no pleasure to say that though.
New City Rover - DavidVince
i would rather have a blonde which cuased me a few agros for 10 years than a skoda brunette dog who stayed around for all my life!
New City Rover - malteser
Oh no it isn't!
Now that some of you will have seen the new Panda and have read the A/express, reporting on the Panda, City, Rio and Matiz testing.

To be fair to Rover and Fiat, the report is not truthfully told and can be misleading.

The fiat tailgate 'has to be open with a key can be a pain', not correct some models have the same electronic tailgate opening as the Stilo and some models don't have adjustable rear seats, they are fixed.

The rover, has got a CD player albeit its a retro-fit and alloy wheels.

I think the best way to judge any of these cars mentioned is to have a test drive in them and make your own judgements and not rely on the reports printed here or in the media.
Is that the same A/express that claimed a first drive report on the Audi S4 Estate with a photo'd car that is nearly half a year old and was released/tested by other mags 6 mths ago?

What a scoop.....
That's the one, and if you look at the City rover photo of the dash, you will see it has a Retro fit CD player as I mentioned. But in their 'Facts & Figures' listings it states that the rover, for Auto gearbox/sat-nav/CD player= No/no/no.

See how miss leading they can be???

Perhaps we should call in Lord Hutton to investigate????????
New City Rover - Cardew(USA)
"Perhaps we should call in Lord Hutton to investigate????????"

Didn't he play cricket for Yorkshire? Well I suppose he went to India a few times.
New City Rover - dieselhead
What are Rover doing marketing this car...have they learned nothing from the brand mismanagment of the past?.
What Rover should be about is building specialist high quality distinctively British cars.. it's unbelievably that they could wish to further tarnish the Rover brand by being associated with what is given all due respect, a cheap Indian runabout. What is it going to do to sales of the 75 when the inevitable stories about trim falling off etc. come out.

This car will no more be a Rover than a Honda Concerto with bits of fake wood badly attached to the dashboard. Seems like just another shortsighted attempt to make a quick profit at the expense of the integrity of the company.

"Perhaps we should call in Lord Hutton to investigate????????"
Didn't he play cricket for Yorkshire? Well I suppose he went
to India a few times.

Cardew(USA)

Unless you have not seen on your TV network about the "Hutton Report", which refers to the death of weapons expert David Kelly. Who was to find out who was responsible for releasing his name to the media, the UK goverment or BBC TV. There is mix feelings on this subject of whom is to blame.

It was a bit humour to mention Hutton to look into this, as to the reasons why Rovers should be made in India and then whitewash the issue why.
New City Rover - carl_a
I noticed today that a local Rover dealer is now selling the City Rover solo with power steering for £5895. So there already cutting the prices by £1000 off list.
New City Rover - Cardew(USA)
Autumnboy,
It was an attempt at humour to pretend to confuse the name of the noble law Lord with the immortal Sir Len.

C
New City Rover - mattyw.
Am I alone in thinking that the CityRover is quite good looking?
I think I know the answer to this one already.
P.S. I wouldn't buy one though; it's still an over-priced dog in other respects. What stands out most is the atrocious urban fuel consumption- why didn't they launch it with a little diesel engine? At least then the press could have said one thing remotely positive.
New City Rover - No Do$h
Saw my first City Rover last weekend. Driven by a gentleman of advancing years and sporting a "keep Britain out of Europe" sticker.

Wonder if he knows where his car was made?
New City Rover - 3500S
At risk of restirring this little hornet's nest. One motoring journalist rates the CityRover higher than a Mercedes A-class.

enjoyment.independent.co.uk/motoring/news_and_feat...5
New City Rover - Canon Fodder
That's a good article 3500s.

Very little difference between the &14,000 Merc and the £8,000 rover - it highlights my view that the more you pay for a new car the sillier you are.

A couple of things from other current threads.....heated seat pads that cost the manufacturer £2, and £1,000 'leather' seats which are mostly vinyl - save your money for something worthty of the effort it took to earn.

CF
New City Rover - carl_a
Doesn't this article just show the A-Class is to expensive, rather than the City Rover is any good.
The A-Class won on all counts bar the gearbox (which according to other reviews is bad on the cityRover) and the colour which a stupid thing to say anyway considering you can choose your own.

The one they tested cost 7895 which is more than most of the competition does.

Anyone read the Clarkson review of the Panda in the Sunday Times ?
He liked it so much, he used it instead of his Merc.
It seems like it is just a way to say it doesnt like the Merc more than it thinks the Rover is any good - in fact the whole article doesnt seem to say anything really decent about the Rover. I wouldnt take it as a Merc loses, Rover wins.

Also to slate a car on the colour of the vehicle tested undermines the road testers points. Thats purely a matter of taste as Carl-a says.

Interesting to note 3500S that you were all up for championing its cause before it was launched, but once it was tested by the mags and basically rubbished you disappeared. It shows the impartiality some people have that they are unable to admit when they were wrong.
New City Rover - Cardew
3500S,
He confirms what everyone else says - that the Rover is poor to put it mildly.. It is just that "if it was his money" he would take the Rover and pocket the additional £6,000 it would take to get the A-Class.

C
New City Rover - 3500S
I was ill for three weeks before Christmas with a nasty inner ear infection. Sitting up at a PC at the time filled me with nausea, still that doesn't change 365 days a year but it was a physical impossibility at the time.

I'll admit reviews have been mixed and there is still room for improvement but I think its demise as a bag of spanners is premature. Articles like this one help to put everything into perspective I feel.
I hope you feel better now - back to the chatter of the forum!

Somehow i dont feel it is a demise, because in order to have that it had to start from a good position, and i dont think it can demise from being bad to start with.

I remember in 1989 when the Austin Rover Metro was given 5 stars by What Car when it was launched. Over time it got older, and therefore not as good as the competition. However the City Rover was last in group tests from the very start.

It puts into perspective the cost v quality of an A class, but merely reconfirms what poor design, build quality (or rather quality of materials used), price and drive experience the car is.

New City Rover - Garethj
I remember in 1989 when the Austin Rover Metro was given
5 stars by What Car when it was launched.>>

Err, wasn't that 1979? Thoughts of the Metro, (or was it the Rover 114) getting 5 stars as recently as 1989 makes me shudder

Gareth
New City Rover - tunacat
Maybe he's referring to when the Metro was relaunched with the revised nose, K series engines, and interconnected Hydragas suspension. I seem to remember What Car made one version of it their overall Car of the Year, and CAR magazine were very enthusiastic about it too.

It was only when the 100 scored badly in the NCAP test that everybody suddenly started saying it was rubbish. Ok, in that respect it wasn't competitive, but it was basically an old design. But everything's relative - at least it HAD an airbag, so potentially was a better bet than for those people still driving about in old mark 2 Fiestas and Novas.
I saw an Allegro VP a while ago. It looked better than the CR...
New City Rover - GrumpyOldGit
How many of the critics have actually seen the car? I had a look around one last week and it seems fine to me for the price. The interior is perfectly acceptable and comfortable. The seating positon is fine for me as it's upright and quite high. The plastics don't seem any worse than most other lower-priced cars, and better than some.

I haven't driven one yet, and perhaps I may find it's awful, but until I do I'm not going to speculate, or parrot what other people say, especially any motoring journalists (Present company excepted HJ!) few of whom seem to be unbiased about any car they review.

imo the last British car maker left deserves to be cut a bit of slack. By all means report your own experiences, but what's the point of just repeating what a journalist says? The likely result is that some people are put off from even going to look at the car. Nothing gained, possibly a car factory lost.
I've seen and sat in one. Utter rubbish. Felt like a Lada Riva.
New City Rover - Mondaywoe
I haven't even seen one on the road yet!I suspect that speaks for itself. I wouldn't want to prejudge the little thing, but in principle, I don't think that a car maker can get away with trotting out dated technology. The buying public are just too sophisticated nowadays - and dare I say it, with lots of really good deals around on state of the art motors, very few people feel obliged to go 'bargain basement'. Let's face it, we're a relatively affluent nation - gone are the days when we saved up for years to try and afford basic mobility.

Graeme
New City Rover - Cardew
GoG,

"imo the last British car maker left deserves to be cut a bit of slack. By all means report your own experiences, but what's the point of just repeating what a journalist says? The likely result is that some people are put off from even going to look at the car. Nothing gained, possibly a car factory lost."

Well I don't think I have disagreed more with a paragraph.

British car makers only deserve to be successful if they turn out good cars and not by re-badging cars whose specification alone is dismal. HJ summed it up earlier when he said:-

"Looks like they'll have to drop the starter price to £4,000 or end up with fields of the things.

I really hope that elderly people do not get hoodwinked into buying these cars out of misplaced patriotism. Very misplaced, in this case. We have Backroomers changing insurers because they switched their call centres to India. So why should we buy 'Rovers' made in India?"

I have been more critical of motoring journalists than most. However, by and large, they influence most of us and based on their opinions we select models to test. In fact journalists affect our opinions on almost everything - I have never met Saddam Hussain or his sons, but I am prepared to believe I should not have had them as members of my club!

IMO British journalists bend over backwards to be nice to 'British' cars - even if it is only to keep the advertisers sweet. That a new 'British' car has been so roundly slated speaks volumes.

C
Talking of fields of them (CR), you are not wrong.

Theres a flower bed full of them waiting to be picked to go to a dealer. But with Panda there are no fields, they say there is a six week waiting list for them. The next thing Rovers or Fords will have to worry about is the new 'IDEA' from Fiats due shortly.

Maybe another nail in the waiting for the City ??
New City Rover - puntoo
With the Fiat Panda being not far off £6000 and getting rave reviews (even JC liked it, see Times Review from last sunday) the city rover will have a seriously hard time selling well. I think that they are about 3 years too late with this car.
New City Rover - DavidHM
An A-Class or a CityRover and £6k? That's easy - I'd take the CityRover and £6k and use the change to buy a Panda or a Hyundai Getz.

And then maybe auction the CityRover on ebay and see what I got for it.
New City Rover - Obsolete
One of the big selling points of the CR touted as justification for the price was it having 5 doors. The Panda I saw down the road had 5 doors, nice cabin styling, and lots of extras such as electric windows and air bags all missing from the base City Rover. And a 3 year warranty will cushion against potential Fiat reliability.

PS: Which insurers outsource to India? I wouldn't want to deal with them thanks. Nothing against India in particular, just outsourcing.
New City Rover - nick
Even if they were cheaper because their costs are lower? Would you not buy something over the internet because you are putting shop assistants out of work?
New City Rover - peterb
If you want to see one, pop-in to a "Welcome Break" service station.

I saw my first City Rover at South Mimms the other day - it didn't look too bad. But let's face it, it the problem isn't so much quality as price.
Cardew, I have just typed out a long response, but then I deleted it because, to be honest, I just can't be bothered. Please continue to put down any car you like, and I'll continue to make up my own mind using my own experience, rather than blindly believe what others tell me.
New City Rover - carl_a
I can see in a few months time all the people like GrumpyOldGit and the members of the MG-Rover forum blaming us for the CityRover poor sales.

At least Lada knew their products were poor so they sold them at the proper price. If you want to get market share back there are two ways to do it, have a good product or sell your product cheap. Fiat with the Panda by doing both these things so good luck to them.

If people want to buy something they will, it doesn't matter what other people say about them, just look at how many people buy Renaults and write to Honest John at the Telegraph. Most of them must have read HJ's column before buying the things (perhaps they don't think the problems will happen to them, so take no notice ?).
My point is not restricted to the CR or any other car. I'm trying to say that it's rather a pity that people are knocking a car they haven't yet tried simply because journalists don't like it.

I go to the cinema a lot. I do not read film critics reviews before going because films that I thoroughly enjoy I later find have been marked down by the critics. Fine, that's their opinion, but I'm, not going to change my thoughts because of theirs.

I use the same logic with cars. Until I have personal experience of a car, I will not make up my mind about it, and certainly won't speak about it as if I was stating facts, rather than the regurgitated opinions of someone else.

Actually I do think much blame for poor sales can be levelled at people who talk down a car. If critisism is based on personal experience, fine. If it isn't, what's the point? maybe to make the speaker feel clever? I don't know as I don't understand why it's done.
New City Rover - ajit
"Nothing against India in particular, just outsourcing."

So one has nothing against the Panda outsourced to Poland ?

Anyway, the CityRover was never intended to be a Rover or for Europe. It's purpose is totally different than what Rover want - i.e. rugged budget transportation with space. The main issue is price - lower the price tag and it will be competitive.

BTW - all industry in British India was "outsourced" to the UK.
At least , the current outsourcing proposals are in a free competitive spirit and not by decree. I note that some of Clive's loot is up for auction.
New City Rover - ajit

Anyway, the CityRover was never intended to be a Rover or for Europe. It's purpose is totally different than what Rover want - i.e. rugged budget transportation with space. The main issue is price - lower the price tag and it will be competitive.

BTW - all industry in British India was "outsourced" to the UK.
At least , the current outsourcing proposals are in a free competitive spirit and not by decree. I note that some of Clive's loot is up for auction.

The Panda is not outsourced to Poland. It is made in Poland by an Italian firm. If a UK car was competitive, then I would buy it. (Actually the Micra is pretty good!)

Outsourcing is generally used to mean the moving of service functions esp. call centres, but also accounts, banking backroom functions, helpdesk support and IT functions to another country where labour is cheap. India has a highly skilled motivated workforce, competent in speaking English, and willing to work at less than 1/10 of UK wages. Many Indian engineers I work with are extremely capable.

When I buy fruit and veg I try and buy British. For one thing it's fresher. When I use an insurer, I prefer to choose one that uses UK based call centres. That is my choice and I am free to exercise it. I am happy to pay a little more - if need be - to support the UK, but not when it comes to something expensive like a car.

BTW I am stating the obvious, but outsourcing is becoming the great leveller and will help drive the economies of the third world.
New City Rover - Cardew
GoG.
"Until I have personal experience of a car, I will not make up my mind about it,"

It depends how you define "personal experience _ a test drive or owning one.

Spending - and possibly wasting - a few pounds on a cinema ticket is rather different to spending and certainly wasting a few thousand pounds on new C R.

Even if one ignored the virtually unanimous condemnation of the C R by motoring scribes its specification for the price is sufficient to rule it out of consideration.

C
It depends how you define \"personal experience _ a test drive
or owning one.

A test drive, or at least going to see one. How can you ciritsise something you have no experience of?
Spending - and possibly wasting - a few pounds on a cinema
ticket is rather different to spending and certainly wasting
a few thousand pounds on new C R.

Who would buy a car without trying it first? The point was nothing to do with buying but about blindly following other\'s opinions.
Even if one ignored the virtually unanimous condemnation of
the C R by motoring scribes its specification for the price
is sufficient to rule it out of consideration.

So a poorly specified car that runs for 200K is worse than a well specified one that dies after 25K? There are considerations other than specification when I\'m buying a car. (I am not talking about any specific cars here - it\'s just an example.)

You are still missing the point entirely. My comments are about the re-use of other people opinions, not the faults or merits of the CR. Anything can be destroyed if enough people \'bad mouth\' it. (I hate that expresion but can\'t think of a more appropriate one at the moment.)

I am not crusading on behalf of the CR. I\'ve only sat in one very briefly so have no firm opinion yet, other than it appears to be better than I expected. I do however like to see fair play, and a lot of this thread is certainly not that.

{Instead of creating your own quotes that just end up hiding what you have written, please use the \"Reply to this message\" button. After all, that it what it is there for!! DD}
New City Rover - Dynamic Dave
{Instead of creating your own quotes that just end up hiding
what you have written, please use the \"Reply to this message\"
button. After all, that it what it is there for!! DD}

Or even the "Quote Original Message" button.
<< >>

A test drive, or at least going to look at one. How can one fairly critisise otherwise?

<< >>

My comment has nothing to do with buying a car. It is about the re-use of others opinions.

<< >>

Specification is not everything when buying a car. If a well-specced car lasts for 25K before serious failure, and a poorly-specced one lasts for 150K, which is better? (No particular cars, just to make a point.)

You seem to be missing my main point entirely, and you also seem to dislike the CR simply because you have been told to.

I am not crusading on behalf of the CR. My only personal experience of one is a quick look round and a sit inside so I have no firm opinion yet, other than it seems better than I expected given the press reports. I do however believe in fair play, and much of this thread is certainly not that.
Thanks DD - I couldn't work out what was going on!
New City Rover - peterb
I'm puzzled.

No one is suggesting (surely) that we meekly follow the opinions of motoring journos.

However:

1. there are so many cars out there, that one needs to make a shortlist somehow;
2. although they journos overpraise some cars, if they say something's a dog, it often has four legs and a tail.
I'm puzzled.
No one is suggesting (surely) that we meekly follow the opinions
of motoring journos.

No I don't think anyone is suggesting that. I am suggesting that some people are repeating what journalists write as if it is based on their own knowledge, for example how awful the CR is without having seen one.

Would you really make a short list based on journalists reviews? I suppose that some people must, and as the CR is slated before being seen it presumably won't make many short lists. It doesn't seem logical to me but each to his own.

When selecting a car the first question I ask is, do I like the way it looks? The second is can I afford it? Then, can I afford to run it? Answer yes to all 3 and it's test drive time. If that goes well, it's sold. I have no interest at all in what anyone else may think of the car. My current car did not fare well with some journalists, but I think it's brilliant and that their opinions are wrong.
New City Rover - pd
Would you really make a short list based on journalists reviews?
I suppose that some people must, and as the CR is
slated before being seen it presumably won't make many short lists.
It doesn't seem logical to me but each to his own.

I think most people do, to an extent. I tend to - in most classes of car there are frequently 12 or more competitors. I have neither the time or inclination to look at or test drive this number. I'll therefore be influenced by press and other opinions to settle on 2 or 3 models I'll then make a decision myself on.

Although I'm interested in cars, motoring and driving I find the whole process of viewing cars and deaing with dealers tedious and time consuming. I have to admit that out of the last 5 cars I've bought only one could I be bothered to test drive.

As it happens, most of the respected auto press (and I pretty much count out most newspapers from this) very rarely slate a car. They might not praise it all that much but it is rare for somebody like, for example, Autocar to come down on a car too heavily. Off the top of my head the only two cars Autocar have really said were bad value total underperformers in the last year have been the CityRover and the W12 VW Phateon.
New City Rover - carl_a
I thinks its case of GrumpyOldGit not liking journalists, if you don't want to talk about something then don't, don't try and stop the rest of us from talking about it.

We are not just discussing what journalists reviews but the facts that are clear to see. Facts such as specification, MPG, performance, price and the competition regarding these factors.
New City Rover - Cardew
GoG,
"Would you really make a short list based on journalists reviews?"

I think most people make a short list based on their requirements first. Size, purchase price, safety, reliability, performance, running costs etc etc. We all have our own priorities and for me the car's appearance would come way down the list.

I suspect most people then avidly read as many journalists reviews and long term tests as possible; these have a huge influence on their choice. For instance a car that fits my requirement for sporting performance is the Alfa and I am pretty sure that a test drive would have impressed me enormously. However I dismissed it from consideration because of the reputation it has for unreliability and high depreciation. Now I am aware that some people on this site are great fans of Alfa; as are many journalists. However the latter also comment unfavourably on unreliability and depreciation and that is enough for me to remove it from my short list.

C
Strangely, several posts in this thread have referred to the CityRover as having been universally panned by critics. It hasn't been. On the other hand, those reviews that didn't pan the car get dismissed out of hand. So it does seem as if a lot of people really don't want to like this car!
"Strangely, several posts in this thread have referred to the CityRover as having been universally panned by critics. It hasn't been. On the other hand, those reviews that didn't pan the car get dismissed out of hand. So it does seem as if a lot of people really don't want to like this car!"

I've read lots of reviews. Most say it is overpriced and has a poor spec. that is not competitive. The two favourable reviews compared the car against expensive alternatives. One of these reviews compared it with the Mercedes A4 which cost £6K more. The other IIRC (in the Telegraph I think) compared it to cars that cost ~£9K which seemed really really odd. Reviewers who compare it to other cars in the same class conclude that it is too expensive.
One of the weeklies, AutoExpress I think, tested it against a Daihatsu Charade and the CityRover came out on top.

To be fair, overpriced does not mean it's a bad car. If Rover throw in a few more goodies, or change the price structure (there's too much of a gap between the base model and the next one up IMO), it'll be more competitive. But perhaps they don't need to? Some dealers are reporting selling all they can get apparently. I've only seen one on the road so far though, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
New City Rover - slowdriver
The new CityRover a little overpriced I would agree and the interior could be a little better, however overall much better looking car than the Panda in my view and an engine which is a bit beyond lawnmower size unlike the Panda.

Saw one on the road today for the first time looked pretty good in Red. I do think that they should do one for 7K which has the main essentials such as PAS, decent CD Player, and Central Locking.

As for the Roverised Metro I think it was a pretty good car when it came out in 89, however could have been world beating if Rover had been given the money needed to give it a new body and chassis. Unfortanatly safety wise time caught up with it but it was still a good car in many respects.

Same applies to the Saxo, poor safety rating by modern standards, but then an old design what can you expect.
Yawn...

Is this thread heading for the two double oh?
LOL! Never before has so much been written, by so many, about a car for which people cared so little...
New City Rover - daveyK_UK
I seen one for the first time. My local fiat dealer has purchased a few which is the first time they have ever done that with a non-fiat car.
They have the mid spec one's priced at £6795 - although it does look attractive, more so than the new punto.
The dealers don't purchase cars for Demo, they are supplied models from the Main agent or Factory for Demo's. If response is poor they are returned as 'dealer returns'.

What new Punto?, the present model has been out for some 6 months, and now shortly there will a look alike 'Idea'.

If one wants to worry about cars being out-sourced, BMW Z are from Canada, Suzuki from Hungary & Spain, Fords all over the EC. But they are made by the original manufacture and not rebadged from another manufacturer.

As I said before some of the comments of specifications in these cars by the so called motor experts in the mags are misleading, 'sliding rear seats for the Panda' I have'nt seen one, 'No radio/cd for the CR' they are retro fitted as standard in the UK for the UK market.

Are going to pass the 200 mark with this Topic??
i meant the current punto with the square-80's japanese headlights. not sure why they messed with the front so much, it was attractive, where now it resembles a suzuki alto.

although something tells me a cityrover would be far more reliable than my current punto (late 03 mark 2). been to the dealers 4 times already, and currently still there 2 weeks on, although i dont mind i get to run up miles on their courtesy car.

all i need now is rover to make the price realistic and ill buy one. 5 and half grand for the mid spec seems about right.

I was told today by a source in the trade that it costs Tata £800 to manufacture the CR and sell them to Rover for £3500 each.
Nice profit if its true.

Also from the same source, one came in to the country on three wheels, one fell off unloading from its ship from India. Everyone thought it was another new model into the range?
New City Rover - El Hacko Jr
I,m sorry to say this , but anybody who buys one of these should be sectioned under the mental health act!
New City Rover - slowdriver
Hmm People who should be sectioned under the mental healh act are those who complain about a lack of manufacturing in this country and then buy dull boring and massively overated german kak like the volkswagon golf.

i agree, the worst motorists are the one's who pay an extra 10k for a people carrier with a VW badge on it, instead of buying a kia alternative with just as high spec.
pete's is 51 plate kia sedona 83k 2.9d with lots of goodies, neighbour snob is 51 VW sharon 1.9d done 34k on sunday.
petes - only issue, new clutch at 75k and new front tyres - normal wear and tear.
snobs - new engine mounts needed early on, electric window faults (happened twice now), fan belt failure, windscreen motor freezed, battery in remote lock key ran out already, 3 headlamps!

However he still claims its the only make worth getting, and says he will only change from VW when BMW make a people carrier - he has a long wait with his over-priced seat then!

good luck city rover - but drop the price and increase the spec!

New City Rover - DL
AutumnBoy wrote "The dealers don't purchase cars for Demo, they are supplied models from the Main agent or Factory for Demo's. If response is poor they are returned as 'dealer returns'"

Nah, don't think so!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
I know that they do!
I'm not usually in favour of euthanasia, but the fact that this thread refuses to die in spite of all the evidence is making me have second thoughts.

HJ: give the moderators a 12-bore and tell 'em to do the decent thing...
New City Rover - DL
Ok.......whatever.....
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
New City Rover - Hawesy1982
As much as i hate to extend this thread any further, Pulling Power on ITV1 have just reviewed this car, and not one single optimistic word was mentioned throughout the 5-10 minute road test. It really was the most scathing review i have ever seen!
New City Rover - carl_a
I watched Pulling Power to, Mike said one good thing about size but attacked it on everything else, not just like a normal review this really was scathing. There didn't seem to be much about the Panda (so much time was spent attacking the CR) but he said it was like sitting in a limo with great build and quality.

He did point out that the CR does have a place in the market, 4 and at most 5 k which sums up what many of us have said on this thread.

At the end he pointed to the Panda and said "Winner", then to the CR "Loser".

New City Rover - No Do$h
Are going to pass the 200 mark with this Topic??

Nope

No Dosh
aka Alan_moderator and bored to tears by this thread.