Citroen C5 - Citroen C5 2.0 HDI 114k miles a good choice or not - DannyJames

Friend is in desperate need of a new car to replace his which is p***ing coolant. Was looking at a few places yesterday, prices are mad these days but we found a tidy looking 2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI at £2195. 114k miles.

Took it for a quick blast down the M6 and back and nothing that screamed 'do not buy'. Real comfortable, he says it drives well, engine sounds and feels ok, enough power, the gearbox seems sound, huge boot and it has plenty of useful tech for a 14-year-old car.

Going to take another look tomorrow. I'll get behind the wheel myself when we shoot back down for a second feel.

Anyone know what these cars are like and if they are generally sturdy and dependable enough to last the next few yrs?

I have heard the shocks can be an expensive job, wiper motors go and the DPF could need a look at soon, but anything he should be aware of before committing?

Edited by DannyJames on 17/03/2023 at 07:09

Citroen C5 - Citroen C5 2.0 HDI 114k miles a good choice or not - pd

Is it an Exclusive with hydropneumatic or a lower spec with springs?

Main thing to look out for is leaking steering racks but most have probably been fixed by now. Clutches can get a bit stiff at high miles but usually keep going.

The 2.0 is generally decent and DPF usually OK. It doesn't need fluid top ups or anything like the 1.6. Cambelt is due at various miles depending who you ask. Sometimes as much as 160k.

Also check the aircon as the condensers are prone to going. On the whole though they are good value and a comfy car for the money.

Citroen C5 - Citroen C5 2.0 HDI 114k miles a good choice or not - Adampr

A colleague of mine had one of these and clocked up silly miles on it. When it eventually died, he bought another one.

Citroen C5 - Citroen C5 2.0 HDI 114k miles a good choice or not - DannyJames

Not sure on the suspension, I was looking under the wheel arches for condition of the undercarriage/chassis/shocks but couldn't actually see shocks so I suspect it's the hydroactive sus. It's VTR+ trim if that means anything.

Think he is set on the car. WBAC will give about 1k for his and I reckon we can maybe get them down to 2k on the Citroen so it seems worth giving it a chance. It seems like a nice motor overall.

Edited by DannyJames on 17/03/2023 at 10:32

Citroen C5 - Citroen C5 2.0 HDI 114k miles a good choice or not - pd

A VTR+ will have standard steel suspension, not hydropneumatic (unless possibly it's an auto).

A hydo car will have an up/down button to raise the suspension near the gear lever along with a sport/comfort button.