What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Kuga - rattle in cabin - Jonny8537

I need some advice about an intermittent noise i’m hearing.

I bought a 2019 Petrol Kuga and started to hear what sounds like chirping or screws rattling and mostly if I drive over bumps or rough roads. It’s not all the time and mostly in colder weather.
My first though was serpentine belt or water pump but the belts fine and no leaks/ temperature increases from the engine. I Took it back to Ford, they were unable to find the noise but did say new petrol kuga can be noisy. Apparently it’s normal as newer fords to have selonoids and these do make rattle sounds sometimes.

Wanting a second opinion, I took it to another garage. I Had it looked at again and came to the same conclusion. They had it all day and checked engine, breaks tyres etc.
The mechanic says what I hear is injectors and solenoids which are normal engine noise for the make and model of the car.

They all say it’s nothing to worry about. I have to admit that I do suffer extreme anxiety and can be paranoid always thinking worse case so it could be nothing. I probably am over-thinking this but would appreciate any help or suggestions on what to do.

Edited by Jonny8537 on 23/02/2023 at 22:34

Ford Kuga - rattle in cabin - Adampr

Having had two different opinions that concur, I think you are probably just sensitive to normal noises. If you want to manage your anxiety around it, I would suggest doing weekly oil, coolant tyre checks. Keep the car well serviced and generally.take care of it. If something does go wrong, it's just bad luck.

In the meantime, turn the music up

Ford Kuga - rattle in cabin - edlithgow

Hmm...sounds a bit of a First World Problem, TBH

Aside from the engine noises suggested, could it be a loose screw, nut or even stone in a hollow section somewhere?. Lots of these on a car, though admittedly hard to see how cold weather would influence that, unless it made a cavity wax treatment less sticky..

This could MAYBE be addressed by rust proofing with something like Waxoyl which, like fluid checking, is probably a good thng to do anyway and might stick it in place.

If you want to track it down, an electronic stethoscope might be useful. Heres a DIY version in use to detect detonation.

www.autospeed.com/a_0353/page1

The hearing aid from which it is derived my no longer be available, but you could perhaps locate an equivalent, build from scratch as outlined, in the article or (at still greater cost) buy an off-the-shelf pro version..

Getting a pro to track it down would seem to be an especially unproductive way of disposing of money

Edited by edlithgow on 24/02/2023 at 04:29