What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - Tesla cars - HGV ~ P Valentine

Tesla car spontaneously catches fire, taking 22,000 litres of water to put it out (msn.com)

The huge amount of water required is typical of a large battery fire. What’s more, 6,000 US gallons or 22,000 litres are far from the highest seen in a Tesla incident.

Just something to think about if you are thinking of getting one, thiis is something the dealers will NOT TELL you, and even if they are right and it is 1 in a million chance, would the stats mean anything at all to you if someone you loved was in the car at the time.

And ended up injured, or god forbid dead.

All - Tesla cars - skidpan

ICE cars catch fire as well and loved ones have been known to be inside.

But it does seem an electric car is harder to extinguish.

All - Tesla cars - Andrew-T

ICE cars catch fire as well and loved ones have been known to be inside. But it does seem an electric car is harder to extinguish.

You don't try to extinguish sodium or potassium fires with water, so I doubt lithium ones are much more co-operative. They are all alkali metals from the same family.

All - Tesla cars - bathtub tom

I understood a fireproof tent had been developed which enveloped the car and starved it of oxygen. I also understood firefighters had been told not to try to extinguish the car with conventional means, but to let it burn itself out while protecting the surroundings.

All - Tesla cars - Engineer Andy

I understood a fireproof tent had been developed which enveloped the car and starved it of oxygen. I also understood firefighters had been told not to try to extinguish the car with conventional means, but to let it burn itself out while protecting the surroundings.

EV battery fires cannot be extinguished by either water or starving it of Oxygen once it has really taken hold (chain reaction) because the battery material generates its own Oxygen in the burning process, a lot of which takes place inside the batteries.

All - Tesla cars - Engineer Andy

ICE cars catch fire as well and loved ones have been known to be inside. But it does seem an electric car is harder to extinguish.

You don't try to extinguish sodium or potassium fires with water, so I doubt lithium ones are much more co-operative. They are all alkali metals from the same family.

Nasty little critters they are. As are fires involving aluminium, magnesium and often with other materials. A former work colleague's (diesel, I think) Jag had at least the latter and succumbed to an uncontrollable fire in a tunnel on the M25 about 10 or so years ago.

Recall also the fire caused by the notorious motor racing accident at LeMans involving Sterling Moss that killed several spectators. It took ages for the car fire to end for the same reason.

A scandinavian shipping line now refuses to take EVs on their ships presumably after that huge EV-based fire than sunk another one in the Atlantic not that long ago.

Quite a few super/hypercars have gone up in flames, though more to do with poor heat shielding combined with very hot days / stong direct sunlight.

Down Under (according to John Cadogan) the 1st gen Leafs were more susceptible to battery fires because they only had passive battery cooling systems.

All - Tesla cars - HGV ~ P Valentine

I am sure the fire dept know what they are doing when dealing with such things. I do not know enough about fighting fires ( cars or otherwise ) to make comment on what they do or why.

All - Tesla cars - Crickleymal

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Chip pans catch fire too. I remember all the hullabaloo about unleaded petrol when it started being common. Fire officers warning about it being harder to extinguish than leaded petrol etc.

All - Tesla cars - mcb100
Pretty sure I’ve mentioned it here before, but the Megane E-Tech has a port on top of the battery, accessible from under the rear seat, through which extinguishant can be pumped, flooding the battery.
Fire knock down drops from hours to minutes.
There’s a QR code on the windscreen, able to be scanned by emergency services (but not in the UK) which will show on a handheld device how to deal with emergencies. Such as where to cut the pillars to remove the roof.
Apparently our emergency services carry a mobile data terminal into which they input the registration number and that will tell them whether it’s petrol, diesel, hybrid or electric. Useful when you can buy a similar body style with different powertrains.
All - Tesla cars - Lee Power

Euro RESCUE app from Euro NCAP has emergency information for rescue services, app is available on both Google & Apple app stores & you can update the vehicle data base of information which is held on the device.

All - Tesla cars - mcb100
‘ Recall also the fire caused by the notorious motor racing accident at LeMans involving Sterling Moss that killed several spectators. It took ages for the car fire to end for the same reason.’

1955 Le Mans. A ‘straightforward’ accident caused by Mike Hawthorn suddenly deciding to head for the pits, causing another British driver, Lance Macklin, to swerve into the path or Pierre Levegh’s car. That was catapulted into the crowd, killing 83 spectators and Levegh himself.

Magnesium proved difficult to extinguish in the aftermath.

The Swiss banned motor racing at the time and only lifted the ban in 2015, ironically only allowing Formula E electric races.

Edited by mcb100 on 01/02/2023 at 20:12

All - Tesla cars - sammy1

"""Pretty sure I’ve mentioned it here before, but the Megane E-Tech has a port on top of the battery, accessible from under the rear seat, through which extinguishant can be pumped, flooding the battery.

Fire knock down drops from hours to minutes."""

Suggest it would have to be a pretty slow fire to allow the fireman access after all they have to get there first