What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dead Bugs - Rebecca
Does anyone know any 'homemade' recipes for getting dead bugs and their dried blood off the front of a car?

I know you can get stuff in the shops, but we have an employee's kids in the car park at work today offering a car washing service and they'd like to know!

Can anyone help?
Re: Dead Bugs - David Woollard
Rebecca,

Soaking for a while is the best. If you drape a damp cloth over the bugs and leave for a while they soon come off.

Just get them to use plenty of water. Or will they do the traditional thing of sponored cars washes and make the same bucketful do three cars.

Mr Chips paint repair services anyone?

David
Re: Dead bugs, untidy tree - Bill Doodson
David,

I agree soaking has to be the safest way. The visor on my motorcycle helmet is very easily scratched, so I soak them with a kitchen cloth with a small amount of washing up liquid in the water for about 5 mins and then they just wipe away. I find it best to do this in the morning before I go to work on the bike at my wife isnt up at 06:00 so cant see me using the kitchen cloth.

Bill
Re: Dead Bugs - jonbenj
I use a pair of old tights, wadded up into a ball. Seems to do the trick without damaging the paint. Just ask before you borrow them! I look forward to some of the more technologically aware contributors' comments regarding the best denier size for optimum results.
Re: Dead Bugs - David Woollard
We need Carole for this one.

David
Re: Dead Bugs - marman
I find a Brillo Pad works wonders it get rid of the flies but you need respray afterwards.
Re: Dead Bugs - marman
Seriously though a fly remover pad I saw in Halfords that has a sort of plastic type mesh on it is supposed to do the trick without scratching the paint or maybe even one of those pads designed to clean plastic baths though I would try it gently at first, I would have thought if it won't harm a plastic bath it won't hurt a car's paintwork. I think I might try the Halfords one myself as the flies are playing hell with the front of my white car.
Re: Dead Bugs - Tom Shaw
WD40 works wonders. If you leave it for about 5mins any bugs will wipe off easily.
Bug Deflector - Darcy Kitchin
Does anyone remember the "bug deflectors" - small piece of shaped perspex designed to alter the airflow across the winscreen. It fitted at the front of the bonnet. My dad was very proud of his, fitted to a Mk2 Zephyr convertible. We were never sure if it worked or not, but not all cars had windscreen washers then.
Re: Bug Deflector - John Slaughter
Darcy

These were a common accessory in Canada when we took a holiday there about 10 years back. One we spotted in a store rejoiced in the name 'Super Bugger'! Honestly!

Cheers
John
Re: Bug Deflector - Darcy Kitchin
John

Thanks for that. As my daughter writes in her chat rooms "lol"

lol = laughs out loud
Re: Dead bugs - Carole Adams
David W - do you mean what I think you mean?

Carole
Tights - David Woollard
Close run thing calling for you or Guy on this one, but he's on his hols.

David
Re: Dead bugs, untidy tree - Carole Adams
Look, I'm trying to keep the site tidy, clicked the reply in the right place, and look where this ended up in the threaded view. I give up.
Re: Dead bugs, untidy tree - Martyn [Back Room moderator]
Carole, don't worry about it. It just won't work. Hopefully the new software will be better organised.

By the way, I have to reply to your 6-page essay (for which thank-you). Will get onto that later today.
Re: Dead bugs, untidy tree - Martyn [Back Room moderator]
PS It worked for me!
Re: Tights - Brian
Bill
I'm with you on this one, but find that I pick up most bugs on the way home so it's better to do them in the evening and not let them dry out overnight.
Re: Bug Deflector - Carole Adams
Martyn - so much for pedantry. It was 4.
Re: Bug Deflector - Carole Adams
P.S. It didn't for me (again)!