What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - nico77

I would welcome comments on this (unscientific) observation of mpg on the above cars.

I travel reasonably regularly from Redhill in Surrey to Southwell in Nottinghamshire. Having lived in both and having family in both I have often driven between the two. Both journeys start about 7pm on M25 / A46.

My question is: Does anyone have an explanation for my fuel consumption being better on the south to north journey. The difference for both cars is only about 2 mpg but the south to north is always better.

As a matter of interest the Peugeot gave better overall mpg than the Fiat by a couple of mpg.

I'm looking forward to any theories.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - Big John

I frequently drive from Yorkshire to Gloucestershire or Hampshire in my Skoda Superb 1.4 tsi and my fuel consumption is the more or less the same both ways with the same type of petrol - E5 Super Unleaded. I do find a very slight drop in economy when filling up with E10.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - mcb100
I reasonably regularly drive Oldham to Glasgow, and inevitably get better mpg going than coming back.
I attribute it to two factors - I start a 600 feet altitude at home and finish at sea level, hence it’s a net downhill, and I’m more keen to get home than I am to get to work so subconsciously drive a little more quickly.
But it’s a consistent pattern.
2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - Falkirk Bairn

Difference of 2mpg

How do you get the average mpg figure?

Brim to brim or what the computer says?

Comparatively short distance so "errors" creep in on brim to brim.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - gordonbennet

Wind typically blows from the west or south west, be interesting to see if the journey north east led to worse economy with a stiff nor'easterly breeze against you all the way.

Wind factor has a big influence, you don't notice it so much physically in a modern car but you certainly do in a truck (think back to cycling), even something as relatively streamlined as the tanker i drive if i have a following wind progress is noticeably faster and easier for less use of the throttle.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/12/2022 at 07:49

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - mcb100
Back from Edinburgh a few years ago with a severe weather warning strength southerly wind, hence a headwind all the way.
I left with a small margin to spare on the trip computer but had to top up along the way because I wasn’t going to make it. The car was doing 70mph road speed but possibly 120mph aerodynamically.
2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - Ex Alfa mail

To add to the wind effect, it is particularly noticeable on lower powered cars. Driving a Fiat 126, the air cooled twin cylinder with 26bhp, from Cardiff to London I could maintain an indicated 70 mph on the M4. On the return legs, depending on the wind strength, I would struggle to achieve 50mph. The trick was to tuck in behind a large truck-trailer and follow in their slipstream. But, for the OP the prevailing winds are unlikely to be a consistent factor.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - badbusdriver

Wind typically blows from the west or south west, be interesting to see if the journey north east led to worse economy with a stiff nor'easterly breeze against you all the way.

Wind factor has a big influence, you don't notice it so much physically in a modern car but you certainly do in a truck (think back to cycling), even something as relatively streamlined as the tanker i drive if i have a following wind progress is noticeably faster and easier for less use of the throttle.

When I worked for Stagecoach, we had this Leyland (Olympian I think) double decker. Acceleration was a bit weak, but downhill or with a tail wind it could eventually get up to a fair old speed. One time I had it for an Aberdeen run and due to the strong headwind it would barely get past 50mph on the way in. The return trip to Peterhead was quite different though with it hitting nearly 70mph on a few occasions!.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - nico77

I don't know how to link to a previous post but this is in answer to Falkirk Bairn

I just use the trip computer in both. I realise they probably aren't very accurate but but I assume they're similarly inaccurate for both journeys.

The Peugeot being more economical than the Fiat is a brim to brim calculation.

Edited by nico77 on 16/12/2022 at 09:21

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - RT

I would welcome comments on this (unscientific) observation of mpg on the above cars.

I travel reasonably regularly from Redhill in Surrey to Southwell in Nottinghamshire. Having lived in both and having family in both I have often driven between the two. Both journeys start about 7pm on M25 / A46.

My question is: Does anyone have an explanation for my fuel consumption being better on the south to north journey. The difference for both cars is only about 2 mpg but the south to north is always better.

As a matter of interest the Peugeot gave better overall mpg than the Fiat by a couple of mpg.

I'm looking forward to any theories.

On a regular two-way trip it's down to the prevailing wind - the average is 10 mph blowing from south-west to north-east - any one day may be different but that's the average.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - skidpan

We drive to Scotland twice a year, its about 430 miles door to door. Almost always we get better mpg going north than coming home south, just a couple of mpg. Simple really, the prevailing winds are from the south west which helps to run north.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - catsdad

I went from Wiltshire via Yorkshire to Edinburgh last week and the computer showed 52mpg for each 200 mile leg. I was using E10. Coming back I got 52mpg again on the first 200 mile leg. I then topped with E5. So about 3/1 mixture of E5/E10. I got 54mpg for the final 200 miles. This included quite a bit of of off-motorway diversion with stop start conditions.

As the E10 was 10p a litre more it’s still more expensive per mile but not much.

So there seemed to be no N/S effect from this unscientific test but the winter effect is definitely very marked as I get high 50’s to 60 on the same journey in summer.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - Big John

but the winter effect is definitely very marked

Totally agree re the winter affect - my petrol economy is worse at this time of the year, especially driving locally. Presumably everything just takes a long time to properly warm up.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - sammy1

As you are driving a big lump of metal could it be the magnetic north pole? joke!

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - alan1302

As you are driving a big lump of metal could it be the magnetic north pole? joke!

LOL :-)

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - Andrew-T

Good thinking, possibly as valid as some of the other ideas. Not so good in a car with an aluminium block, or an Al bodyshell ?

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - bathtub tom
As the E10 was 10p a litre more

I hope you got that wrong?

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - catsdad

Yes Tom it was E5 that was 10p more. Doh!

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - Engineer Andy

Colder up north, so more richer fuel mixture and heating is required for the first few minutes, perhaps? The other issue is was the car left for long before using it? A cold car (through many hours lack of use as well as cold / more overcast weather) could have some (maybe a small) effect on the air-fuel ratio for the first few minutes.

I'm otherwise presuming that the net uphill / downhill is near zero.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - Ian_SW

How you drive while the car is warming up can also make quite a big difference. If the first 3 miles of the journey in one direction is in stop-start traffic, and the other way is straight onto a fast road, the engine will warm up quicker on the latter and then use less fuel overall.

I suspect reason will be wind though. It does make a big difference to motorway MPG - in strong winds I've had as much as 15mpg less in fairly boxy cars when going into strong wind as I'd get in still conditions. Not surprising really if you think when driving into a 30mph wind the car is going through air doing over 100mph rather than 70 so does closer to the economy of a car doing 100. It all evens out though as in the other direction you can get the fuel economy of doing 40mph when you're doing 70.

2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 / 2016 Fiat 500x 1.4T petrol - MPG better driving north? - Andrew-T

Not surprising really if you think when driving into a 30mph wind the car is going through air doing over 100mph rather than 70 so does closer to the economy of a car doing 100. It all evens out though as in the other direction you can get the fuel economy of doing 40mph when you're doing 70.

I don't think I would try driving a boxy car (or even a more aerodynamic one) anywhere in a 70mph wind. That's almost a hurricane. Don't forget all those artics blown over on the A1, probably in less than 70mph.

I wonder - were they going north or south ? :-)