What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Used Cars - Towbars - Adampr

I have just googled my recently trade-in Seat Toledo, not least because I'm always interested in the margin that gets added.

I'm impressed to see that it has already moved a from a Seat/Skoda main dealer in Newport (s. Wales) to an independent trader in London. They have done some nice preparation on it (refurbed the wheels and tidied up some heavily blemished paintwork).

Two things that struck me - firstly, someone will get a good deal there; it's got full main dealer service history exactly on time etc. Secondly, though, the dealer has removed the towbar. To me, a towbar is a plus point, so I thought it was an interesting change for the trader to make.

Is this standard practice for traders, or is it because it's a low powered engine in this case 1.2tsi and the trader doesn't want to give the impression it's been 'stressed'? It hasn't been, the most it's ever towed is 350kg and on fewer than 10 occasions / 1000 miles.

Used Cars - Towbars - elekie&a/c doctor
I wouldn’t say it’s standard practice, but unless it’s a hideaway bar or one fitted to a vehicle that you would expect to have it (eg 4x4 load pullers ) , then most traders would remove it . Makes the car look better without and no questions as to what’s been towed .
Used Cars - Towbars - Andrew-T
.... most traders would remove it . Makes the car look better without and no questions as to what’s been towed .

Exactly - not that a trader would have any idea what previous owners might have done. In earlier days a new owner would be able to contact previous ones. He might also spot the telltale holes where bolts had been removed.

I did once buy a Maxi with a towhitch still fitted - no problems with the car, and I even used the hitch once or twice myself.

Used Cars - Towbars - Metropolis.
It is always interesting to see previous cars up for sale by new owners/dealers. I have seen cars belonging to people who I knew had absolutely ragged them and had mechanical issues, subsequently advertised by the dealership as one owner FMDSH, which is accurate but what an eye opener.

As to towbars, for most cars I am looking at it would be an automatic no go. I would not know what it has been towing, a small trailer for tip runs for an overladen horse box?

The only caveat is if it is a separate chassis vehicle and only then if it was a common factory fit. In that case I will still prefer the models without a tow bar when buying.

It is an interesting question the more I think about it. you could argue that many who tow have more mechanical sympathy. I would still avoid for now..
Used Cars - Towbars - bathtub tom

I always used to remove towbars from cars I flogged privately and usually got a premium for both when I sold them.

Used Cars - Towbars - focussed

Strange - a towbar on a used car in France - dealer or private is seen as an asset, roughly 50% of cars in rural France have towbars judging by our local supermarket car parks. Reasons?

Most of us don't have bin collection at your door here, it's a walk to the communal bins at the end of your road for household rubbish, for anything larger it's the run to the local recycling dump, plus possible firewood collection and the annual camping holiday, very popular.

Used Cars - Towbars - newguy2015

Hi Adampr, just out of curiosity what is the margin the dealer is getting?

I always assumed that car dealers were working on a margin of about £1-1.5k but not sure what the margin is in the current market

Given that your car has been sold to another dealer clearly two margins are being applied!

Used Cars - Towbars - Adampr

I traded it in for £3,000 and it's now on for £4,950.

It was mechanically 100% but bear In mind that they have had to refurb all four wheels, remove the towbar, reinstate the cross member that I kindly gave them and remove a lot of paintwork blemishes. And they had to pain the tyres and put bits of paper in the footwells, obviously.

Thank you.

That’s interesting so at most they have spent maybe £400 on preparation. We don’t know hire much the independent got it for but if the main dealer has sold it themselves probably looking at a margin of 1600

Edited by newguy2015 on 26/11/2022 at 10:28

Used Cars - Towbars - elekie&a/c doctor
I think you can double those preparation costs , and of course the dealer has to give a warranty.
Used Cars - Towbars - RT

Having fitted several towbars to my cars, my big concern is that they often replace the rear structural cross-member on modern cars - in most cases the cross-member isn't retained for refitment and simply removing the towbar would leave a structurally unsafe car.

The OP does seem to have retained the cross-member and supplied it to the dealer at trade-in but I fear this is very much the exception.

I hadn’t realised it would be that expense!

Used Cars - Towbars - Andrew-T

We don’t know how much the independent got it for but if the main dealer has sold it themselves probably looking at a margin of 1600

I would have thought that a part-ex allowance of £3K by a main dealer would move on down the hierarchy straight away. Even with full history it would probably not look 'right' for sale on their forecourt. That £3K would be a discount figure to sweeten the trader-in, capable of all sorts of manipulation in the office.

Used Cars - Towbars - Heidfirst

I have heard it said that unless they can prove the provenance & installation to EC94/20 certification of the installation they will remove them (I imagine due to potential liability down the line).

Used Cars - Towbars - RT

I have heard it said that unless they can prove the provenance & installation to EC94/20 certification of the installation they will remove them (I imagine due to potential liability down the line).

EC94/20 covers the design, manufacture and testing of towbars - it does NOT cover the installation, which in some cases will be DIY - the towbar itself will be plated to show compliance with EC94/20 - so what you've heard seems to be urban myth.

Used Cars - Towbars - Terry W

Unless as a buyer I was interested in a towbar to meet a personal need, I would attach zero value to its presence.

Possibly discount were it fitted to something with limited towing capacity anyway as it may be more likely to have been abused.

Used Cars - Towbars - Heidfirst

2 different dealers at different times have told me the same thing - unless they have some form of evidence to prove the certification of the product & the competence of the fitting they will remove them.

Used Cars - Towbars - Big John

An opposite thought - sometimes on recent cars a tow bar or tow bar prep can be a price enhancer as it's not possible to retrofit a towbar if not specified as such - eg in the Skoda Kamiq pricing and specification document "Electrically folding tow bar with adaptor. Only available in combination with 12V socket in luggage compartment. Please note, it is not possible to retrospectively fit a tow bar if the car is not fitted with tow bar preparation at Factory." The vehicle plating may have towing weights missing,

Edited by Big John on 26/11/2022 at 17:36

Used Cars - Towbars - UCB
I fitted a swan neck towbar to our Toyota Verso primarily to attach a cycle carrier. Cheaper than a roof mounted set up. I have occasionally towed a small trailer borrowed from a friend but nothing heavier.
Used Cars - Towbars - Bromptonaut

Please note, it is not possible to retrospectively fit a tow bar if the car is not fitted with tow bar preparation at Factory." The vehicle plating may have towing weights missing,

Does that mean it's impossible to fit any sort of towbar or just that the folding version is excluded?

Used Cars - Towbars - RT

Please note, it is not possible to retrospectively fit a tow bar if the car is not fitted with tow bar preparation at Factory." The vehicle plating may have towing weights missing,

Does that mean it's impossible to fit any sort of towbar or just that the folding version is excluded?

The reason isn't given - some cars which aren't Type Approved for towing can have a towbar fitted to allow towbar mounted bike racks - for instance the Ford Ka.

In some cases, cars need extra cooling when towing - typically only fitted if you have a factory-fit towbar - certainly applied to my 2016 VW Touareg and several Mercedes-Benz models.