What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Navara - Runaway Truck - Stackman II

We've been having quite a time of ot the last couple of days.

Following on from my wife's Audi A3 catching fire on the drive on Sunday, Tuesday evening while we were watching Pointless we heard a loud bang and a car alarm going off.

Fearing the Audi had somehow re-ignited we rushed out the front door to see a Nissan Navara stopped across the bottom of our drive, sitting in a pile of bricks which used to be our garden wall!

We live on a hill and our opposite neighbours both have Navaras. The neighbour came over, quite mortified and apologetic.

The truck was a courtesy vehicle while his was in for a service. He normally drives an automatic Navara and this one was manual. He admitted that he had probably not set the handbrake as he was used to just leaving his car in park and getting out.

They readily agreed to get the wall repaired and we cleared up the mess. No point getting upset, they are good neighbours. The truck had a dented tail gate and possibly some damage to the underside.

He came over last night and said the builder had been out to survey the damage and would start work in a few days. The garage said their insurance would cover the damage to the truck but our neighbour would have to pay £500 excess.

A costly lapse to be sure!

Edited by Stackman II on 27/10/2022 at 08:55

Nissan Navara - Runaway Truck - bathtub tom
the builder had been out to survey the damage and would start work in a few days.

That's very fortunate. When a council mowing machine demolished my garden wall back in June this year, it took until September to get it re-built. The council expected me to do all the leg work and claim through their insurance company. I couldn't find a builder or brickie that wasn't snowed under with work. The council's insurers wouldn't answer phone calls or return calls when messages were left. I ended up giving it to my insurer who employed a claims management company, who, in turn, used an agency over a hundred miles away to employ a company about thirty miles away. I hate to think what the final cost was!

Nissan Navara - Runaway Truck - Steveieb

Good news was that no one was injured .

A builder friend of mine leaves his Peugeot van on his drive overnight and the drive is on an incline.

The back brakes started to seized up so he found a novel way of releasing them in the morning.

He would hit the brake assembly with a mallet and all would be well. But one morning he released the handbrake to find the brakes locked on so he went underneath and hit the brake assembly as usual.

Once released the van started careering down the drive with him trapped underneath.

Luckily someone noticed him trapped and called the air ambulance. Serious injuries but saved by the Air Ambulance.