What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
First time driver car insurance - sens0r

It's baffeling how high the insurance premium quotes are for my wife and myself. Both are first time drivers in UK having full UK license. So far the lowest I could get was £1100 for a Hyundai i10 2009 model or kia picanto 2009 model, that too with the black box installed.

I'm checking quotes for different cars automatically through AutoTrader website linked to comparethemarket, is there a better way to get cheaper car insurance quotes?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by sens0r on 16/10/2022 at 22:36

First time driver car insurance - Big John

Why three threads?

First time driver car insurance - RT

It's not baffling at all - drivers in the first year have a very high rate of accidents which is reflected in premium rates - insurance companies can see how those accident statistics are affected by overseas drivers coming to the UK.

First time driver car insurance - Bromptonaut

A little over £1000 with a black box is about what I'd expect for a new driver in a basic car.

In fact it's a bit lower than I'd expect but that may reflect age (ie you're beyond 18/19) and perhaps driving experience outwith the UK.

First time driver car insurance - Crickleymal

It's not baffling as RT said. Newly qualified drivers especially young ones are much more likely to have accidents. A friend tried to get insurance for his son who'd learnt in his mk2 landrover iirc it was about £1700 for something like a 15 year old 1 litre Fiesta.

On the other hand the high prices could be a reason there are so many uninsured drivers around.

First time driver car insurance - mcb100
Got a sensible quote for newly qualified daughter recently with Admiral. Much, however, depends on home post code and myriad other factors.
First time driver car insurance - Engineer Andy

The OP is lucky that theirs is 'only' £1100. I've heard many instances of that figure being 2 or 3x as much, even for basic superminis, often because the new driver is just 17 and/or that they live in a high vehicle crime / high accident area.

The most I paid was around £640 about 20+ years ago when I was still a new driver after my 'introductory offer' with RAC insurance locked me in to staying with them, whereby they bumped the initial decent price of £350 up three years in a row. That was for a basic 1L Micra.

With inflation, £640 is around £1100 - £1200 today.

If I were the OP, I'd concentrate on getting the most reliable, basic spec car they need (not want) and can afford (including pricing in premiums for 3-5 years at similar rates, declining a little) and driving carefully, gaining experience and avoiding accidents.

They may be lucky that some 'nice' manufacturer is running a similar lower cost insurance plan, but beware of being effectively locked into staying with them and enduring significant rises in their annual premium or leaving and having to find the money for even more expensive policies elsewhere.

The trick is NOT to have any fault claims. I had one smallish claim in year 2, and even though the policy was PNCD, it didn't matter a jot when finding alternative providers, because it was how many years of actual no claims I had. IMHO, I was mis-sold that original policy as I naively believed the sales speil saying I could 'take' the PNCD across as '5 years' when in relaity I could not. In my defence, I was a lot younger and more naive back then.

First time driver car insurance - Gibbo_Wirral

Speak to an insurance broker - get them to do the legwork.

Ask them to recommend a car that will be a lower risk - remember a Group 1 car doesn't mean it will be cheapest to insure.