What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Mk2 1.6 petrol - Insurance and modifications ? - Topdude

Hi, looking for opinions / experience on what constitutes a "modification".

I have a Focus with tatty and corroded bog standard alloy wheels and thinking about smartening them up a bit "without affecting my insurance". My options seem to be as follows -

A - have original wheels refurbed back to original standard silver.

B - have original wheels refurbed in a nice colour (black or bronze).

C - buy some nicer looking second hand wheels in good condition off another model Focus.

People seem to have all sorts of aesthetic and performance modifications on their cars so how do they deal with the insurance side of things ?

I am currently with Churchill and i am reluctant to have this conversation with them !

Thanks in advance for any opinions / advice.

Edited by Topdude on 14/10/2022 at 07:51

Ford Focus Mk2 1.6 petrol - Insurance and modifications ? - kiss (keep it simple)

The rational answer would be not a modification if the performance of the car is unaffected.

Ford Focus Mk2 1.6 petrol - Insurance and modifications ? - Xileno

It depends on whether the insurance company might consider smarter wheels make it more attractive to theft. However, a Mk2 1.6 petrol Focus will not be very high on a thief's list (not being rude, I have exactly the same car!)

I would go for option A. Can you DIY to keep the cost down?

Ford Focus Mk2 1.6 petrol - Insurance and modifications ? - Adampr

I've had a few minor changes to cars in the past and just declared them. As long it doesn't really enhance performance etc, they don't seem to care. They will care if you don't declare them and then claim....

Ford Focus Mk2 1.6 petrol - Insurance and modifications ? - Engineer Andy

I've had a few minor changes to cars in the past and just declared them. As long it doesn't really enhance performance etc, they don't seem to care. They will care if you don't declare them and then claim....

Exactly. Going, or making a mod that looks like they are for performance (or that aren't on an 'allowable' or 'recommended' list by the manufacturer*) will likely cause an insurer to bump up the premium; ones that obviously aren't, won't, but do need to be declared.

* I resplaced my 16yo Mazda3's 16in OEM alloys with their own 15in ones (this was ok and shown in the handbook, similarly for the tyres) and also 'downsized' (the overall rolling diameter is essentially the same) from 205/55 R16 tyres to 195/65 R15 ones to fit the new alloys.

I had to change one anyway as it was corroded/mishapen and was leading to the tyre slowly deflating, and the others were visually going the same way after 12 years' use.

The tyres were only 6 months' away from replcaement anyway, and the cost of replacing all 4 tyres and one alloy at 16in was only £50 - £100 more than replacing the lot with 15in ones because the 16in tyres and especially matching OEM alloys were a lot more expensive (20% and 85% more expensive respectively at the time).

I phoned my insurer beforehand to check what difference it would make to the premium and they said none as it wasn't an 'upgrade' or mod. They implied that going up a wheel size or two rather than down may have precipitated an increase. Changing from an OEM to another firm's alloy wouldn't have made any difference as long as I didn't upsize.

Ford Focus Mk2 1.6 petrol - Insurance and modifications ? - bathtub tom
People seem to have all sorts of aesthetic and performance modifications on their cars so how do they deal with the insurance side of things ?

I suspect they don't.

Ford Focus Mk2 1.6 petrol - Insurance and modifications ? - paul 1963

I agree with X, refurb your original wheels yourself, nice weekend job imo, can't see how smartining up a original component could upset any insurance company..

Ford Focus Mk2 1.6 petrol - Insurance and modifications ? - John F

Hi, looking for opinions / experience on what constitutes a "modification". .......

A - have original wheels refurbed back to original standard silver.

B - have original wheels refurbed in a nice colour (black or bronze).

These are indeed refurbishments, or 'restorations' - not 'modifications'........

C - buy some nicer looking second hand wheels in good condition off another model Focus.

..........and this is 'replacement'. I wouldn't tell ins. co.

Ford Focus Mk2 1.6 petrol - Insurance and modifications ? - Topdude

Thanks for the replies, looks like the best option is to refurbish the original wheels, either DIY or professionally.