What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - Thomas123

Hi Honest John forum members!

My name is Thomas Makestad and I am the PR Executive at HonestJohn.co.uk and heycar.co.uk. I'm getting in touch because I need some assistance from the Back Room community for an upcoming story the editorial team is working on. I’ve flagged it past the moderators and they are happy for it to be posted here.

So the team (I’m sure you know Dan Powell and Sarah Tooze) are putting together a lighthearted story in time for Halloween and we need personal stories from the HJ community to bring life to this idea. More specifically, it would be great to hear from people who have experienced:

• Haunted roads

• Haunted cars

• Haunted or spooky fuel stations

• Motoring superstitions (something people do before every trip or any kind of charms people keep in their car for luck)

This is something a bit different from what is usually posted, I know, but we’re really interested to see if there are any spooky stories anyone on the forum can share.

So if you have any experiences of anything supernatural, we’d love to hear them in this thread! Thank you.

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - badbusdriver

Well there is the Hairy Hand of Dartmoor!. Where (inebriated) drivers, after having crashed on the B3212, claim that a hairy hand or hands took control of the steering wheel and drove them off the road.............

(yes officer, that is what happened!)

;-)

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - Doc

The ghost of Blue Bell Hill, is one of the most famous ghost stories ever to come out of Kent. It has been reported in a number of national newspapers over the years, with many repeat experiences. Unsuspecting motorists have witnessed a woman running out in front of their cars late at night, before being hit and vanishing. No evidence of a collision has ever been found, nor has there ever been a victim found either.

www.bluebellhillghost.co.uk/

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - John F

It's to be hoped this doesn't escalate to the sinister displays seen here in the irrational USA. From 1st Oct onwards, houses and front gardens are decorated with ghoulish displays of skeletons reclining on chairs, zombies rising from graves, and assortments of black spiders, grey dead babies with black eyes and varieties of spooky carved pumpkins. They are so superstitious here that there is no number 13 on housing estates - they go from 11 to 15. Same for lift floors; 12 to 14. Sick!

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - badbusdriver

They are so superstitious here that there is no number 13 on housing estates - they go from 11 to 15. Same for lift floors; 12 to 14. Sick!

Not just the USA John, I clean windows on two streets where there is no number 13 (but should be)!.

I also remember putting a customers price up to £13, but she insisted on paying me £14 because the number 13 was unlucky!.

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - bathtub tom

My daughter lives in a village where there are no number 13s. She lives at 169!

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - Steveieb

When I was working in Cheltenham my landlady told me to watch out for the hangman that appeared out of the mist on the long hill down from Leckhamstead.

Site where the bad folk were hanged hundreds of years ago , the ghost lingers on causing no end of mysterious events where cars drive off the road.

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - Andrew-T

When I was working in Cheltenham my landlady told me to watch out for the hangman that appeared out of the mist on the long hill down from Leckhamstead.

Leckhampton ? :-)

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - Andrew-T

They are so superstitious here that there is no number 13 on housing estates - they go from 11 to 15.

You may have spotted that there is no junction 13 on the M56 near here. I'm not sure whether one was ever intended - it may have been, but its absence doesn't seem to have caused a need for it over the last 50 years (God, is it really that long ... ?)

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - Engineer Andy

It's to be hoped this doesn't escalate to the sinister displays seen here in the irrational USA. From 1st Oct onwards, houses and front gardens are decorated with ghoulish displays of skeletons reclining on chairs, zombies rising from graves, and assortments of black spiders, grey dead babies with black eyes and varieties of spooky carved pumpkins.

You think that's bad - wait until near Christmas for those decorations! A house in my parents' home town gives the gawdy American ones a run for their money.

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - craig-pd130

Local legend has it that there's a phantom car sometimes seen at night on the A623 between Eyam and Chapel-en-le-Frith.

In a sighting around 10 years ago, a driver was reportedly tailgated along the road by a dark, older model sports car. The driver reported that as he approached the A6 near Chapel, the sports car overtook him, only to suddenly vanish a short distance ahead. There were no turn-offs the car could have taken.

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - Engineer Andy

Local legend has it that there's a phantom car sometimes seen at night on the A623 between Eyam and Chapel-en-le-Frith.

In a sighting around 10 years ago, a driver was reportedly tailgated along the road by a dark, older model sports car. The driver reported that as he approached the A6 near Chapel, the sports car overtook him, only to suddenly vanish a short distance ahead. There were no turn-offs the car could have taken.

I've been in some areas where phantom Police cars are the stuff of legend. They apparently exist, but no-one's seen them, just heard their woo-woos... :-)

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - Xileno

www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/history/sally-in-wood-...0

This road is local to me, it is only a three miles away and I must have driven hundreds of times along this road. Some locals have claimed strange sightings and a feeling of cold when driving along certain parts of it. Cars suddenly losing control on the bends, that sort of thing. I'm not convinced. I think the pub at Bathford may have had something to do with these strange stories...

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - Datsun Dave

A mate of mine claims to have experienced a spooky experience some years ago when driving past the Spaniards Inn in Hampstead late one night.

The road goes up a hill and is narrow and runs between the pub and the old gate house. He claims to have seen a cloaked figure by the roadside as he went between the gap and then his car started struggling to get up the hill with the engine losing power.

Might be a coincidence, but he has never used the B519 since!

Haunted cars, roads and spooky stories - Xileno

Just bumping this up to the top in case anyone missed it first time around.